Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Forum Member

Default Army medic interested in a future as a firefighter

Hey everyone, My name is Ricky Im a medic in the Army stationed in Ft. Carson, Co. I deploy in March to Iraq and was interested in any advice on what I could do to better my resume. Im a NREMT-Basic, and I plan on getting my EMT-I and maybe EMT-P while in Iraq. Im also considering going for a degree in fire science. My term of service ends in Aug. of 2011, when I plan on going back to Miami and looking for a job as a firefighter in Broward, Miami Beach, or Miami Dade County. Im basically looking for any advice to help better my chances in starting my career as a firefighter. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rgonzo View Post
    Hey everyone, My name is Ricky Im a medic in the Army stationed in Ft. Carson, Co. I deploy in March to Iraq and was interested in any advice on what I could do to better my resume. Im a NREMT-Basic, and I plan on getting my EMT-I and maybe EMT-P while in Iraq. Im also considering going for a degree in fire science. My term of service ends in Aug. of 2011, when I plan on going back to Miami and looking for a job as a firefighter in Broward, Miami Beach, or Miami Dade County. Im basically looking for any advice to help better my chances in starting my career as a firefighter. Thanks

I would get your EMT-P if you can. Being a vet will help. From what I hear it is very competitive to become a Firefighter in FL. So I would also go after the Fire science degree if you can.

Unrelated note did you just take your EMT-B class at PPCC. With Nancy?
    RIP Hela

"You have to do better then your best."
    BUD's instuctor Class 234

"A man who won't die for something is not fit to live."
    Martin Luther King, Jr

In my experience vet preference is weighted pretty heavily. Heavy enough to bump you to number one.
    ...at this time.

Forum Member

I've used it every time I applied and it's done almost nothing for myself so far.

I have seen it twice bump someone to one on the list. Sorry about your experience. You guys deserve it. I would also suggest you not pursue a career in fire service in Florida.
    ...at this time.

Quote Originally Posted by utilitycow View Post
    ... I would also suggest you not pursue a career in fire service in Florida.
    Why would you suggest that?
    Greater love has no man than to lay his life down for a friend.

Quote Originally Posted by rpferry View Post
    Why would you suggest that?
    I was wondering the same when I read that. Maybe scared of a little job competition??? Granted it's difficult to get on a department in Florida right now but still, what if someone suggested you not enter the fire service in Florida, wouldn't you wonder why as well??

Not sure the format of your resume but in my experience putting your certifications first and also your highest license in your header like:
    John Smith
    EMT-Paramedic
    seems to help quite a bit, the only problem i could see with the vet status as a field medic is there are HUGE differences between combat medic and civil EMS that they may be worried about your transitioning. Might try doing some ride alongs when you get back and get to know the people you are wanting to be employed by so they can see you're well adjusted. Hope it all works out!

Forum Member

I was wondering the same when I read that. Maybe scared of a little job competition??? Granted it's difficult to get on a department in Florida right now but still, what if someone suggested you not enter the fire service in Florida, wouldn't you wonder why as well??
    I think because its sooo hard to get job here. If he has a choice to go anywhere else he is prolly better off. Vet with medic, i heard, is still super tuff down Miami way. I doubt it so sinister as not wanting competition prolly more like it sucks here if you have an alternate take because it cant be as bad as here.

At least that's how i read it.

Forum Member

I agree its very difficult. I was born and raised in south Miami, I have no idea what Miami you guys are talking about if you say "dont pursue a career in florida." Why not? If its bc of the demanding hours and work, that dosent bother me at all. Im pretty sure its not as demanding as being in a Infantry unit (4th ID 1-8IN) Just curious on what you where trying to say.. If theirs any current or retired MDC/Miami firefighters on here I would like to get your input on all this. Thanks again

Forum Member

I was born and raised in south Miami, I have no idea what Miami you guys are talking about if you say "dont pursue a career in florida." Why not?
    If you read the replies then maybe you would understand. Normally here is where I would try to motivate you to try anyways despite the difficulty but if you can't read the <10 replies to your question I'm more inclined to encourage you to find a different career.

Fire school is easy. Medic school is easy. Standing in line with a thousand other guys to apply for 10 40K a year jobs... that's the tough part. Took me many years to get a full time job. Read around the Florida Forums. You'll get an idea of what you're getting into.
    Use your GI Bill and become a lawyer.
    ...at this time.

Forum Member

Im going to keep searching the forum, thanks. As for lucky2 i dont need anyone to motivate me, i get all the motivation from ungratefull people like you. Just on here to get some advice on what I can do to better my chances. You keep on with your daily boring life and I'll keep fighting to make sure you can wake up to it every morning.

Forum Member

You keep on with your daily boring life and I'll keep fighting to make sure you can wake up to it every morning.
    LOL thank you sir, but try again considering I'm ex-military. Get off your high horse. Good luck with your endeavors, and when you get out please don't venture away from South FL.

Forum Member

Fire school is easy. Medic school is easy. Standing in line with a thousand other guys to apply for 10 40K a year jobs... that's the tough part.
    EXACTLY. Being from the South Florida area, there are now many schools that spit out 100 EMTs and Medics per month. Ontop of 3 Fire Academies in the tri-county area that have 3 classes going on at the same time, you have your self a HUGE supply with little demand.

Yes, departments are going to hire, even in this economy. However be prepared to WAIT, even if you are a Fire/Medic Vet. I wouldn't throw all my eggs into the South Florida basket, especially not the Miami area.

Good luck and thanks for serving.

Forum Member

40K a year jobs...
    Ha! I don't know where you guys have been applying, everything I've gone for has been 27-32k. However, everywhere I've applied out of state (PA, CA, AZ, OR) seems to be significantly higher. Anyone know why the pay down here is so low compared to other states?

What you make will be a little higher after overtime and holidays and what-not. 40K is close to firemedic pay. The advertised salary is usually low. Florida has no income tax and a reasonable cost of living compared to other states.
    ...at this time.

What you make will be a little higher after overtime and holidays and what-not. 40K is close to firemedic pay. The advertised salary is usually low. Florida has no income tax and a reasonable cost of living compared to other states.
    North FL yes. South Fl hell no it cost alot to live down that way. I though about moving there a few times.

40k is Firemedic pay down there F that
    Denver Firefighters start at 45k here and 72k for a Firemedic

More reason for me to not move to florida
    RIP Hela

"You have to do better then your best."
    BUD's instuctor Class 234

"A man who won't die for something is not fit to live."
    Martin Luther King, Jr

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by tywebb88 View Post
    Ha! I don't know where you guys have been applying, everything I've gone for has been 27-32k. However, everywhere I've applied out of state (PA, CA, AZ, OR) seems to be significantly higher. Anyone know why the pay down here is so low compared to other states?
    BECAUSE......FLORIDA IS SUNNY!!! Sounds funny, but in a nutshell, thats a big part of it. SO many people from the north would love to come to Florida. I mean, its 82 degrees and sunny here in Orlando today....IN THE MIDDLE OF JANUARY. For alot of people, that is enough incentive to come here. Florida is notorious for low paying jobs because of the sunny warm weather, and beaches, plain and simple.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by VESmedic View Post
    BECAUSE......FLORIDA IS SUNNY!!! Sounds funny, but in a nutshell, thats a big part of it. SO many people from the north would love to come to Florida. I mean, its 82 degrees and sunny here in Orlando today....IN THE MIDDLE OF JANUARY. For alot of people, that is enough incentive to come here. Florida is notorious for low paying jobs because of the sunny warm weather, and beaches, plain and simple.
    Ill trade ya.. its storming like a mother here, we've had several unofficial tornado reports with building damage and power line calls out the ***.... i wish these people would think to call the power company once in a while.....

and despite the low pay. everyone and thier brother still wants to come work in FL

Thread Information