Forum Member

Default Christian Firefighters

I am currently an EMT student and a firefighter hopeful. I was curious to know if there are any christian firefighters who are able to attend services pretty regularly and also wanted to know how the time demands affect their spirtual lives. Would I be better off staying in the EMT-Paramedic department or would that not make any difference on how often I'd be able to attend church and what not?

MembersZone Subscriber

You'll be on a shift schedule and probably won't be able to attend services while you're working. You may be able to trade some days off, but don't expect to have every day off you need. If you're in a large department, you might be able to get a chaplain to come in and conduct a service for a group of guys, but if you get a call, that's got to come first. Especially when you're new, you'll end up working holidays if they fall on your shift.

If this isn't something you won't be able to live with, consider a volunteer or part time position.

Forum Member

Are there many part time opportunities out there? From what my EMT instructor made it sound like, it really seemed like volunteer and part time are a lot less common these days.

MembersZone Subscriber

It depends on your area. Large cities, not so many. But smaller cities and rural areas you may luck out. Depending on the union, some cities may use paid on-call to cover days off. Your instructor is probably familiar with your area, so he/she would probably be able to help you out some more. If they can't give you a definitive answer, contact a local fire department and ask the training people if they know of any local ones.

Also, check into any volunteer departments in the area. Sometimes they'll hire people full time during the day when most of their volunteers are at work.

Forum Member

MembersZone Subscriber

Personally, I believe that the service I provide to the community and the people outweighs the downside of missing a church service on occasion.

You might also check, many churches have several different service schedules so that you can attend on different nights. Depending on your shift schedule, maybe you can go on Wednesday instead of Sunday for example.

In my department, whatever day our R-Day is we never work that day. I was able to get a Wednesday, so I know I can always bring my family to church then, and make it to the Sundays I can. There is a mega church that has Saturday and Sunday services we could consistently go to, the only problem is...it's a mega church. I like the smaller church atmosphere where the the pastor actually knows my name

Keep in mind, our growth as a Christian shouldn't solely rely on attending a Church service weekly, but rather daily time in prayer and study of God's word. Read Psalm 1...

Forum Member

as stated above there are churches that have services on other days,

and also you can be christian example at work in the way you conduct yourself.

You will also find out if you break out the bible at work, there will be other people who will join you.

MembersZone Subscriber

We have a guy that gets up every morning at around 5 am and does devotions and reads his Bible. Even if he's run all night with little sleep, that's his time. We have a guy that floats stations and will join him when they're at the same station.

Forum Member

Well, this really depends on the department size and if you are paid or volunteer. A paid firefighter has days that he/she absolutely MUST work on any or all calls. I still go to church on Sundays, but not Wednesdays. My church is 2 counties over from my department. However, I have talked it over with my chief and he has agreed to allow me to go to church on Sundays. The catch is that I go back on duty at 1:00 pm every Sunday since I am normally out of church by then. If the service is a bit longer than usual, I leave and head for my FD. If your department is close to your church, this should never really be an issue as most of our departments require that you are able to arrive at the FD within 10 minutes after a call goes out. It depends on alot of things though. Good luck, budd.
    Last edited by Firefighter4life91; 04-21-2010 at 10:04 AM. Reason: Typo

Thread Information