Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    Moved around a lot in my younger years between college and my employment..... which required me to move around a lot.

Settled down in thew mid 80's and served on 2 departments there (moved from one district to the other due to much home purchase opportunities) and then moved to lA.

By the way, all the departments except my current were volunteer.
    LA, I won't knock how many places you've worked. But what's your response to my reply a few posts up?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Firehouse_Chick View Post
    LA, I won't knock how many places you've worked. But what's your response to my reply a few posts up?
    I thought my response just above this was a pretty good one regardless of the question. By the way, this is a blatant attempt to pick a fight with someone (Not to stick up for him as I do not see eye to eye with various opinions of his). KNOCK IT OFF.
    Matt G.
    Battalion Chief
    IACOJ-Member
    FTM-PTB

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mtg55 View Post
    I thought my response just above this was a pretty good one regardless of the question. By the way, this is a blatant attempt to pick a fight with someone (Not to stick up for him as I do not see eye to eye with various opinions of his). KNOCK IT OFF.
    I wasn't talking about your post (which I thought was funny).

I'm not happy to know that there are people out there that are willing to ignore someone just because they are not on duty. You shouldn't be mad at me for asking him about that.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Firehouse_Chick View Post
    I wasn't talking about your post (which I thought was funny).

I'm not happy to know that there are people out there that are willing to ignore someone just because they are not on duty. You shouldn't be mad at me for asking him about that.
    Niether am I, but I come here to try to be a possitive influence on the service. There are too many people bashing each other and way too much disrespect going on to be able to do that, and I'm sorry but I'm just a little tired of it. This thread was long since gone, and I say we send it back to the murkey deep from which it was dragged.
    Matt G.
    Battalion Chief
    IACOJ-Member
    FTM-PTB

Forum Member

Niether am I, but I come here to try to be a possitive influence on the service. There are too many people bashing each other and way too much disrespect going on to be able to do that, and I'm sorry but I'm just a little tired of it. This thread was long since gone, and I say we send it back to the murkey deep from which it was dragged.
    Apparently Whale Dung floats. MORE weight required! T.C.

Forum Member

Fair enough. You're right.

Forum Member

They were dumb....i mean ya great job and all but what if they didn't make it out and once the FD got there they had to pull two more people out ....sorry i know they were trying to help but thats like a firefighter going inside with no gear or SCBA....it wouldn't happen.

Forum Member

Good job men.
    To River:
    If you were on the highway and you saw a pile-up and you are EMS certified but had no equipment, Would you stop and help?
    Me:Yes I would, I know I wouldn't have nothing, but when something like that happens it's their worst day of their life; it's our JOB (volunteer or career) to help them in their worst days of their lives. Yes I see your point, a downed firefighter is not a good firefighter, but if you notice both men proceeded with caution. Now I don't know much about firefighting (I'm applying to get into an academy) but I do know there are different stages of fire, and also knowing how to anticipate helped these guys. My cousin in LA (unfortunately bossier parish with E80 ) sent me a similar article about one of their deputies who did the same. Now what I'm getting too is: you do what is right, NO MATTER WHAT, don't you guys see the connection between USAF PJs and Firefighters?
    THAT OTHERS MAY LIVE.
    That's what I expect from firefighters, but I DO NOT expect themselves to proceed carelessly, that's why there is annual trainings.
    VB Rescue Squad 14
    EMT-Basic

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Rescue.EMT View Post
    Good job men.
    To River:
    If you were on the highway and you saw a pile-up and you are EMS certified but had no equipment, Would you stop and help?
    Me:Yes I would, I know I wouldn't have nothing, but when something like that happens it's their worst day of their life; it's our JOB (volunteer or career) to help them in their worst days of their lives. Yes I see your point, a downed firefighter is not a good firefighter, but if you notice both men proceeded with caution. Now I don't know much about firefighting (I'm applying to get into an academy) but I do know there are different stages of fire, and also knowing how to anticipate helped these guys. My cousin in LA (unfortunately bossier parish with E80 ) sent me a similar article about one of their deputies who did the same. Now what I'm getting too is: you do what is right, NO MATTER WHAT, don't you guys see the connection between USAF PJs and Firefighters?
    THAT OTHERS MAY LIVE.
    That's what I expect from firefighters, but I DO NOT expect themselves to proceed carelessly, that's why there is annual trainings.
    Regarding the rescue by the deputy I'm sorry to burst your bubble, but what the conditions actually were and what was described, were quite different.

The aggressiveness of the department and the personnel - career or volunteer - needs to be determined by the training, experience level, resources and other local factors of that department.

The perfect example is what can be accomplished by the fulltime gig and volunteer gig. Manpower levels, training levels and experience and other variables almost always support a much more aggressive operation withjin reasonable safety limits at my career gig than at my volunteer gig.

To attempt a rescue without the right training or experience or adequate resources is simpoly foolish, and not within the parameters of the job - career or volunteer - that any of us have signed on for.

Forum Member

To attempt a rescue without the right training or experience or adequate resources is simpoly foolish, and not within the parameters of the job - career or volunteer - that any of us have signed on for.
    Civilians do this every day... if they didn't, the obituaries page of the local paper would be a lot longer...

For a firefighter not to act... that is unconscionable.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Civilians do this every day... if they didn't, the obituaries page of the local paper would be a lot longer...

And how often are we then rescueing the civialins who attempted the rescue, delaying the rescue of the original victim?

How often do civialins die attempting rescues?

Using civilains as a yardstick for how we should act is foolish.

We are professionals. We are supposed to be trained to make professional judgements based on conditions v. resources, training and experience.

For a firefighter not to act... that is unconscionable

There are times that Department A may be quite capable of making the attempt but Department B with the same structure and fire conditions simply ay not have the training, experience and resources to make the attempt without great additional risk to thier members.

Not all firefighter snad fire departments are created equal. To make blanket statements regarding "all firefighters" and all "fire departments" is unprofessional, dangerous and unrealistic.

Why is that so difficult to accept?

Forum Member

You make "blanket statements"* all the time... I find THAT hard to accept.

*wet blankets!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by River Firefighter715 View Post
    They were dumb....i mean ya great job and all but what if they didn't make it out and once the FD got there they had to pull two more people out ....sorry i know they were trying to help but thats like a firefighter going inside with no gear or SCBA....it wouldn't happen.
    HAHA, maybe you need to tell this firefighter and the many others like him that have done the same thing to save a life.

http://www.firehouse.com/news/top-he...le-make-rescue

Forum Member

No gear. No SCBA. No tools. No handline. Probably no partner. Even if they have a radio, if they are out of district good chance they have no radio = no communications.
    I know we're ina modern age and have all these things to use, but thank God that our forefathers didn't have this attitude when they had a chance to save a life.

Sounds cowboy to me.
    Nope, driving a heard of cattle while shooting up a little town is cowboy.

Again, I don't beleive the oath (which by the way, I have never taken on any of my 8 departments) to serve and protect extends to operating out of district and off-duty.
    Hmmmm, correct me if I'm wrong here, but that's a cop thing. We don't just protect and serve, WE FRIGGIN' RESCUE PEOPLE. THat's our job, deal with it. If you want to protect and serve become a cop.

As far as being out of district goes, I would expect anyone with anykind of human emotion to try and rescue someone no matter where they are. I could be clear accross the continent in Cali, which is way out of district for me, and I'd still act. Sure, if the car is fully involved and there's no way I can even get close to it, obviously there would be nothing I could do. But if there was only smoke showing or a little fire, I'd be in like Flynn.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by firefightinirish217 View Post
    I know we're ina modern age and have all these things to use, but thank God that our forefathers didn't have this attitude when they had a chance to save a life.

Nope, driving a heard of cattle while shooting up a little town is cowboy.

Hmmmm, correct me if I'm wrong here, but that's a cop thing. We don't just protect and serve, WE FRIGGIN' RESCUE PEOPLE. THat's our job, deal with it. If you want to protect and serve become a cop.

As far as being out of district goes, I would expect anyone with anykind of human emotion to try and rescue someone no matter where they are. I could be clear accross the continent in Cali, which is way out of district for me, and I'd still act. Sure, if the car is fully involved and there's no way I can even get close to it, obviously there would be nothing I could do. But if there was only smoke showing or a little fire, I'd be in like Flynn.
    ^^^Good to hear
    Last edited by Firehouse_Chick; 06-28-2011 at 12:59 PM.

Forum Member

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by DeputyChiefGonzo View Post
    I am speechless because after being here for almost 4 years and over 4K posts.. you still haven't figured out how to use the quote function.

Despite all of ones best efforts in fire education, teaching home escape plans, etc. ... when there is a real fire, people panic and the lessons learned may be forgotten... that's human nature.

99.99% of the firefighters I know would move heaven and earth to save a family member of one of our own.

99.99% of the firefighters I know would move heaven and earth to save a family member of a total stranger.

For someone to write off a family member while watching their house burn... that is insanity.
    guess who.1% is?
    Benton Fire District Four
    Ladder One
    First Due!

Caddo Parish Fire District 1
    Career Firefighter/Paramedic

When things get rough, just say:
    Acabo de perder cinco minutos de su vida.

Forum Member

Originally Posted by DeputyChiefGonzo
    I am speechless because after being here for almost 4 years and over 4K posts.. you still haven't figured out how to use the quote function.

Despite all of ones best efforts in fire education, teaching home escape plans, etc. ... when there is a real fire, people panic and the lessons learned may be forgotten... that's human nature.

99.99% of the firefighters I know would move heaven and earth to save a family member of one of our own.

99.99% of the firefighters I know would move heaven and earth to save a family member of a total stranger.

For someone to write off a family member while watching their house burn... that is insanity.

It's amazing how much how I choose to post quotes seems to concern you.

As far as the rest of your post, tghe safety of our personnel is my utmost concern, and that doesn't change on who is trapped.

The fact is I'm not willing to trade the life of a brother firefighter for the life of a civilain. I'm also not willing to trade the life of the same firefighter for a member of our family.

Rule 1: Civilains die in fires.

Rule 2: In a rural enviroment, there is very little that a fire department can do to change rule 1.

Rule 3: Firefighters should never die rescueing civilians.

Rule 4: Rule 3 doesn't change even if the civilains are my family.

MembersZone Subscriber

I'm sure your Family wouldn't **** on you if you were on fire either!
    Stay Safe
    Bull

“Guys if you get hurt, we’ll help you. If you get sick we’ll treat you. If you want to bitch and moan, then all I can tell you is to flick the sand out of your slit, suck it up or get the hell out!”
    - Capt. Marc Cox CFD

Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.
    -WINSTON CHURCHILL

Forum Member

As far as the rest of your post, tghe safety of our personnel is my utmost concern, and that doesn't change on who is trapped.

The fact is I'm not willing to trade the life of a brother firefighter for the life of a civilain. I'm also not willing to trade the life of the same firefighter for a member of our family.

Rule 2: In a rural enviroment, there is very little that a fire department can do to change rule 1.

Can you please learn how to properly quote someone on this forum? I mean really, how long have you been posting here? And you wonder why no one takes you seriously, other than the fact that you think more like a rich man than a firefighter. It's all about you man.
    Last edited by firefightinirish217; 12-22-2010 at 10:26 PM.

Forum Member

Originally Posted by DeputyChiefGonzo

What amazes me is that fireguy2011 from Bossier Parish pulls up a quote from 01/20/2010 on this thread, reposts it and you come on as if I just posted it.

You are a piece of work...
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by firefightinirish217 View Post
    Can you please learn how to properly quote someone on this forum? I mean really, how long have you been posting here? And you wonder why no one takes you seriously, other than the fact that you think more like a rich man than a firefighter. It's all about you man.

Actually it's all about the folks who count on me to come home.

Forum Member

Actually it's all about the folks who count on me to come home.
    Yeah, my wife and kids count on me to come home too, but she'd understand if I took a little extra chance to save a life. Nobody is saying do a suicide mission, but don't just write people off because there's a lot of fire showing.
    Last edited by firefightinirish217; 12-23-2010 at 04:02 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs down

I always thought Brunni said it best when he said:

Risk a lot to save a lot,

Risk a little to save a little...

Risk nothing to save nothing.

Writing off your guys to save an insurance company some money isn't what we do- though we used to do that a lot. I think we're moving forward from that mentality though we keep losing 150 guys on the job on average every year- I don't get any readings on the stats in terms of how many lives have been saved- hopefully that number is going up while ours continue to trend downwards.

I have been off the forums for awhile and must admit I've seen this LA guy around in a few key areas and none of them illustrated his experience as eloquently as the post a few above this one. The suggestion that anyone who spent a life training in our discipline is going to stand around with a couple million dollars of apparatus and some rough men who stand ready to commit any act to watch a house burn down with people inside it...

The thought is positively sickening.
    Ian "Eno" McLeod

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Eno305 View Post
    I always thought Brunni said it best when he said:

Risk a lot to save a lot,

Risk a little to save a little...

Risk nothing to save nothing.

Writing off your guys to save an insurance company some money isn't what we do- though we used to do that a lot. I think we're moving forward from that mentality though we keep losing 150 guys on the job on average every year- I don't get any readings on the stats in terms of how many lives have been saved- hopefully that number is going up while ours continue to trend downwards.
    Another one. Once again since the "progressive/we're being too reckless crowd" loves to ignore it:

To date 2010*:
    78 LODD
    18 at structure fires conducting firefighting operations
    46 or 58% Stress/overexertion

90 LODD
    30 during fireground operations.
    7 deaths lost, caught/trapped, or collapse.
    50 or 55% stress/overexertion

*prior to the events of this week. Sadly now 20 on the actual fireground.
    Co 11
    Virginia Beach FD

Amateurs practice until they get it right; professionals practice until they cannot get it wrong. Which one are you?

'The fire went out and nobody got hurt' is a poor excuse for a fireground critique.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks for the US only stat- Not exactly the yearly average I was referring to.

Stay reckless...
    Ian "Eno" McLeod

Thread Information