Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 30 FirstFirst ... 89101112131421 ... LastLast
    MembersZone Subscriber KevinFFVFD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chenzo View Post
    This right here is why your nothing more than a fu*king pot stirring troll. You added the second part with the sole intent of riling kevin up again. Your a sad, sad man LA, sad indeed.
    Sometimes I let my Irish temper get the best of me and I donít know when to shut up.

I donít see how you can put of dollar sign on someoneís life or play god and decide when someone should live or die. The #1 reason I got into the fire/ems was to help people and I am not going to let minor ridiculous details get in my way.

Yes LA, I care about my family and donít you ever accuse me again that I donít. My soon to be wife knows very well what I have chosen to do with my life and she understands itís dangerous. She also understands that I am the kind of person the refuses to stand around and do nothing when someone is in need. I donít care whether someone is in cardiac arrest or being attacked by a criminal, Iím going to do something. Itís called CARING FOR YOUR FELLOW MAN. You should try it one day. The very reason the world is in the ****hole like it is is because people, like you, refuse to do anything when they should. If everyone learned to help each other no matter what then just imagine how things would be.
    2009 Warren County Firefighter of the Year

A Great place USA, which means not West Coast...!

Default LA this is for you, also please reply to my questions.

http://www.centralpafire.com/forum/i...6a894ccba8.jpg

Although,you would never get this close.
    FDNY 343 9/11/01 WILL Never Forget!

(W-6)

"We Lucky Few We Band of Brothers." William Shakespeare

"let no man's ghost return to say his training let him down. "

D-P-T

Quote Originally Posted by TruckSixFF View Post
    Scenario #1
    You are out driving in a neighboring town and you come across a large group of people yelling and screaming that their 3 year old has just fell into a pond and cannot swim. You get out of your car to look and you see a 3 year old boy going under the water and you know that this towns FD is 6+ minutes out, what would you do?

You are outside of your FD's district and you see a MVA followed by a young girl who was hit. What is your course of action?

You are out at a casual restaurant outside of your FD's district for dinner and you hear a thump on the floor followed by some screams and the words "Help my son, he is chocking some one please help!" What do you do?

You are out shopping at a store a few miles out of your FD's distinct and you see a man go into cardiac arrest, but as fell to the ground you notice a bag full of drugs and drug paraphernalia on the ground. What do you do?

Thank you for your time.
    Hell, Iíll answer it too and compare the resultsÖ.

Scenario 1-
    I am not the worldís best swimmer. First thing is I would make sure someone has initiated the 911 system and additional resources are being sent. If the child is still above the water I would yell at him to keep kicking and that I am coming to help him. I would swim out to him and try and bring him in. If he went under I would verify the last place he went down and I would start there. I would continue until I either located him, got physically exhausted where it would be too dangerous to continue or until another responder arrived on scene and took my place.
    If he was recovered and I am the only medically trained person on scene I would verify my ABCís, vitals, and begin resuscitation efforts if necessary. If there are more advanced medical personnel on scene I would hand the child over and let them continue with care.

Scenario 2-
    I understand you mean a MVC involving a pedestrian struck by a vehicle?
    Since it just occurred I am going to assume I am the only medically trained person on scene. I am also going to assume some bystanders stopped to help. My first course of action would be scene safety. Second would be making sure someone is initiating the 911 system to get additional resources on the way. Third would be checking all patients, initial assessment, and see which ones need the most care. I am going to assume the person who was hit is going to be the most injured.
    I would have a bystander, if no additional medical personal are on scene, hold c-spine stabilization. I always keep basic first aid supplies and medical gloves in my truck. I would then asses ABCís, vitals, and begin resuscitation efforts if necessary. If pt is breathing and has a pulse I would check for major bleeds and treat that. Other than that just monitor the pt until more advanced care arrives.

Scenario 3-
    I am going to assume that since there was a ďthumpĒ that the pt is now unconscious. First would, of course, to make sure someone is initiating the 911 system to get resources on the way. If pt is unconscious I would do a head-tilt-chin-lift and verify it pt is breathing. If not I would give two slow breaths into the lungs (and before anyone says anything, I always carry a barrier mouth shield on my keychain). If no air passes I would re-tilt the head and try breaths again. If no breaths go though I would then give 5 abdominal thrusts. After that I would open the mouth, look for the obstruction and do a finger sweep. Continue this until the pts airway opens. One the obstruction is out I would verify the pt is breathing on their own. If not I would initiate rescue breaths. I would continue to monitor the pt until advanced medical care arrived.

Scenario 4-
    Again, verify that someone has imitated the 911 system. I would have someone secure the bag of narcotics to either show pd or arriving ambulance. After that I would verify the ptís ABCís and vitals. If there is no breathing and no pulse I would begin CPR at a rate of 30 compressions to 2 breaths. I would also ask an employee if the store has an AED available. If so I would have them retrieve it and instruct a bystander on how to apply the pads while I continue CPR. Once pads applied I would stop CPR, let the AED analyze the pts heart rhythm and shock if it was advised. I would continue this until the pt got a pulse and respirations back or until more advanced medical personnel arrived on scene.

DOES THAT ANSWER YOUR QUESTIONÖ.lol just messing with ya. I wanted to play along too.

Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    Do they have a legal duty to act in Louisana? Are you required to do SOMETHING?

Legal duty is only required if you are on-duty, which is defined as receiving compensation.

There is no legal requirement to act if not being compensated.

This includes volunteers, who are not bound at any time to act by state law, even within their district.

Our department has it's own requirements. Many other departments do as well.

If you are participating in a department training, you are required to respond. if you are simply stopping by for a few minutes to watch, or stopping by the station for a few minutes, you are not required to respond.

If you are a volunteer riding out for a specified time period, you are required to respond during that time period.

If you are in a department vehicle, in or out of the district, you are required to act to your level of training.

If you in a department t-shirt or uniform, within the district, you are required to act within your training if you come upon an incident. A non-EMS qualified person has no duty to act, and can legally not touch a patient. CPR-only qualified members are only allowed to perform CPR, perform airway measures as taught in CPR, and control obvious life-threatening bleeds.

There is no departmental requirement to act out of the district unless on-duty and/or in a department vehicle.

For the 5th or 6th time, (in Louisiana) you ARE required to act, even when off duty. You ARE protected for someone suing you for negligence, etc. In fact, you can be sued for NOT responding if it is known you are a trained individual.

I have shown you the proof, feel free to look it up yourself if you feel I am incorrect. I have been told by 2 lawyers (one being my fiance who loves to disagree with me but ended up showing me the law it falls under) and many of the instructors at LSU-FETI.

Louisiana's duty to rescue/ duty to act is defined as "...a tort law.... in which an emergency worker (defined as: police, firefighters, emergency medical technicians, etc.) can be held liable for failing to come to the rescue of another party in peril regardless of compensation"

Louisiana's good samaritan law covers any emergency worker's off duty actions. In fact, we have one of the most well written one's that would make a malfeasance case near impossible.

So again,

You have no more excuses.
    Give it up. Do not ignore it and say "I want to see it". If this was your only excuse then you should have no problem finding it yourself.

Good luck to your community.
    ‎"I was always taught..." Four words impacting fire service education in the most negative of ways. -Bill Carey

Tajm611, thank you. Thatís good to know considering I am on the Mississippi/Louisiana border.

Also I understand that in MS if you witness a MVC and do not stop to assist you can be charged criminally whether youíre a civilian or off duty emergency responder. I tried to find the law that stated that but I couldnít

“I have no ambition in this world but one, and that is to be a firefighter The position may, in the eyes of some, appear to be a lowly one; but we who know the work which the firefighter has to do believe that his is a noble calling. There is an adage which says that, "Nothing can be destroyed except by fire." We strive to preserve from destruction the wealth of the world which is the product of the industry of men, necessary for the comfort of both the rich and the poor. We are defenders from fires of the art which has beautified the world, the product of the genius of men and the means of refinement of mankind. But, above all; our proudest endeavor is to save lives of men-the work of God Himself. Under the impulse of such thoughts, the nobility of the occupation thrills us and stimulates us to deeds of daring, even at the supreme sacrifice. Such considerations may not strike the average mind, but they are sufficient to fill to the limit our ambition in life and to make us serve the general purpose of human society.” -Edward F. Croker, Chief of Department, F.D.N.Y. 1899-1911
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

A Great place USA, which means not West Coast...!

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    ďI have no ambition in this world but one, and that is to be a firefighter The position may, in the eyes of some, appear to be a lowly one; but we who know the work which the firefighter has to do believe that his is a noble calling. There is an adage which says that, "Nothing can be destroyed except by fire." We strive to preserve from destruction the wealth of the world which is the product of the industry of men, necessary for the comfort of both the rich and the poor. We are defenders from fires of the art which has beautified the world, the product of the genius of men and the means of refinement of mankind. But, above all; our proudest endeavor is to save lives of men-the work of God Himself. Under the impulse of such thoughts, the nobility of the occupation thrills us and stimulates us to deeds of daring, even at the supreme sacrifice. Such considerations may not strike the average mind, but they are sufficient to fill to the limit our ambition in life and to make us serve the general purpose of human society.Ē -Edward F. Croker, Chief of Department, F.D.N.Y. 1899-1911
    Great Post. Words to live by. Thank you sir, stay safe.
    FDNY 343 9/11/01 WILL Never Forget!

(W-6)

"We Lucky Few We Band of Brothers." William Shakespeare

"let no man's ghost return to say his training let him down. "

D-P-T

ďI have no ambition in this world but one, and that is to be a firefighter The position may, in the eyes of some, appear to be a lowly one; but we who know the work which the firefighter has to do believe that his is a noble calling. There is an adage which says that, "Nothing can be destroyed except by fire." We strive to preserve from destruction the wealth of the world which is the product of the industry of men, necessary for the comfort of both the rich and the poor. We are defenders from fires of the art which has beautified the world, the product of the genius of men and the means of refinement of mankind. But, above all; our proudest endeavor is to save lives of men-the work of God Himself. Under the impulse of such thoughts, the nobility of the occupation thrills us and stimulates us to deeds of daring, even at the supreme sacrifice. Such considerations may not strike the average mind, but they are sufficient to fill to the limit our ambition in life and to make us serve the general purpose of human society.Ē -Edward F. Croker, Chief of Department, F.D.N.Y. 1899-1911
    Amen and Holy Jumping Jehosaphat Hallelujah!
    Chief Croker got it...and thousands of other firefighters have served using that mantra as their guide... well. except for 1 or 2...
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

This should be posted on every firestations billboard and in every firefighters locker. Send's chills through me.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinFFVFD View Post
    This should be posted on every firestations billboard and in every firefighters locker. Send's chills through me.
    I intend to do just that the next time I get to a printer.
    FWDBuff, thank your for oosting that.

As a matter of fact yes it was, in my bunkroom and in my gear locker on the apparatus floor.

Tajm611, thank you. Thatís good to know considering I am on the Mississippi/Louisiana border.

Also I understand that in MS if you witness a MVC and do not stop to assist you can be charged criminally whether youíre a civilian or off duty emergency responder. I tried to find the law that stated that but I couldnít
    There has been an actual case, in my hometown, that went something like this:
    (I'll paraphrase)

EMT Paramedic was well known in the area, had a very distinctive truck, I believe it was lifted had a crazy paint scheme, many decals on vehicle, etc....

Was witnessed passing the scene of an accident, gave Acadian ambulance a black eye.

A paramedic at lsu feti has told me this:

Our official policy is this, if you do not plan to help off duty, do not wear a shirt, show a decal or tell a soul you are a paramedic. Our unofficial policy is: if you do not plan to help off duty, get the **** off our squad.
    ‎"I was always taught..." Four words impacting fire service education in the most negative of ways. -Bill Carey

Forum Member

For the 5th or 6th time, (in Louisiana) you ARE required to act, even when off duty. You ARE protected for someone suing you for negligence, etc. In fact, you can be sued for NOT responding if it is known you are a trained individual.

I have shown you the proof, feel free to look it up yourself if you feel I am incorrect. I have been told by 2 lawyers (one being my fiance who loves to disagree with me but ended up showing me the law it falls under) and many of the instructors at LSU-FETI.

Louisiana's duty to rescue/ duty to act is defined as "...a tort law.... in which an emergency worker (defined as: police, firefighters, emergency medical technicians, etc.) can be held liable for failing to come to the rescue of another party in peril regardless of compensation"

Please cite the law. I am not saying I doubt you but that it not the impression my department is under. if you cite it, I can bring it to them for a discussion.

I also I understand that in MS if you witness a MVC and do not stop to assist you can be charged criminally whether you’re a civilian or off duty emergency responder. I tried to find the law that stated that but I couldn’t [/B]

Same in Vermont.

You are out driving in a neighboring town and you come across a large group of people yelling and screaming that their 3 year old has just fell into a pond and cannot swim. You get out of your car to look and you see a 3 year old boy going under the water and you know that this towns FD is 6+ minutes out, what would you do?

50 years old and not a strong swimmer. Attempt throw and tow. If needed get in the water but not in proximity to child. Due to the small size of the child and likely shallowness of the pond close to the shore I might attempt a physical hands-on rescue. Time of the year would make a difference as colder water may trigger the MDR and may be safest call to let local FD handle in-water operations.

You are outside of your FD's district and you see a MVA followed by a young girl who was hit. What is your course of action?

What I have done many, many times. Stop and render aid to the level of my training.

You are out at a casual restaurant outside of your FD's district for dinner and you hear a thump on the floor followed by some screams and the words "Help my son, he is chocking some one please help!" What do you do?

Again, what I have done more than once. perform the Heimlich and any other required followup care to the level of my training.

You are out shopping at a store a few miles out of your FD's distinct and you see a man go into cardiac arrest, but as fell to the ground you notice a bag full of drugs and drug paraphernalia on the ground. What do you do?

Perform CPR. I may just do compressions to limit my exposure to possible drug-related illnesses, now that that has been accepted as a proper course of action. If I have my own POV, would perform breaths utilizing a pocket mask out of my jump kit.

Thank you for your time.

Would have loved to reply earlier but just completed a 24-hour tour at my part-time gig. No computer access until now.
    Last edited by LaFireEducator; 01-24-2010 at 11:52 AM.

Forum Member

I would suspect there would be a legal obligation in LA only if you have LA certs.

No, you can render aid under many certifications that are nationally recognized, AHA is one that comes to mind.

Also, if you care to look, pull up Louisiana's duty to rescue act. Louisiana's good samaritan law is what protects you, it is known to be the most iron clad in the nation.

I read it myself in my woman's law books, Louisiana tort law and civil code. As for finding it online, I'm sure scarecrow wouldn't mind wikipedia'ing it.

FDNY Firefighters Make Daring Rescue

BY MATT WILLIAMS

-
    Courtesy of The New York Post

Posted: Tue, 02/02/2010 - 11:29
    Firefighters yesterday rescued a man and a woman desperately hanging from windows of a burning Harlem brownstone.

The woman "was just screaming," said firefighter Artie Kunz, who used a ladder to save the two at East 127th Street and Madison Avenue. "I reached out and grabbed her, and she jumped into my arms."

The fire began in the mostly vacant building shortly after 4 p.m., officials said.
    The man and woman fled to the fifth floor, which didn't have a fire escape, and were forced to hang out the windows to escape the overwhelming smoke.

Another team of firefighters pulled a third victim from the building -- an unconscious woman who had gone into cardiac arrest.

She was revived in the ambulance and transported to Harlem Hospital in serious condition.

Nina Persson, 35, who lives across the street, said the brownstone, which was renovated about 18 months ago, is at least partly occupied by squatters.

Republished with permission of The New York Post.

nice job Artie (his 2nd grab in alittle under a year). Good thing the vacant building occupied by squatters with no smoke detectors and no cars out front werent written off.
    Proud East Coast Traditionalist.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainGonzo View Post
    Amen and Holy Jumping Jehosaphat Hallelujah!
    Chief Croker got it...and thousands of other firefighters have served using that mantra as their guide... well. except for 1 or 2...
    EXCUSE me Sir! Those two posers ARE NOT with us nor are they one of us.Chief Croker had a LOT of stuff right. Look at the results. T.C.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    nice job artie (his 2nd grab in alittle under a year). Good thing the vacant building occupied by squatters with no smoke detectors and no cars out front werent written off.
    I demand that he be disciplined immediately!!

In all seriousness, wouldn't it be cool to hog-tie the pubic hair, and make him sit in the front row at Truck Appreciation Day???? He would be squirming in the chair and having panic attacks!

MembersZone Subscriber JohnVBFD's Avatar

I demand that he be disciplined immediately!!

In all seriousness, wouldn't it be cool to hog-tie the pubic hair, and make him sit in the front row at Truck Appreciation Day???? He would be squirming in the chair and having panic attacks!
    More likely spontaneously combust.
    Co 11
    Virginia Beach FD

Amateurs practice until they get it right; professionals practice until they cannot get it wrong. Which one are you?

'The fire went out and nobody got hurt' is a poor excuse for a fireground critique.

Sounds like a good chance for a FIT5 demo.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Thread Information