MembersZone Subscriber

who is this guy?
    ‎"I was always taught..." Four words impacting fire service education in the most negative of ways. -Bill Carey

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by tajm611 View Post
    Do you base your opinion on FDNY operations by watching rescue me also?
    Nope. SC's opinions on anything outside of career are WELL known.. Let's just say my Experiences differ. I've been around some Damn good VOLUNTEER outfits and I hired an Ex PG county guy not long ago. Good help. Got a few friends in the Ca Fire service,they don't complain while they are here so I guess we do OK. T.C.
    Last edited by Rescue101; 12-28-2010 at 07:56 PM.

Forum Member

there's rubble inside buildings.
    Usually. Did you see the "Warehouse"? By the looks you weren' going to save much. T.C.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by 11LK349F View Post
    Bottom line, if you're not willing to give it all up, get the heck out of our fire service.
    Riiiiiigggggghhhhhtttttt, so how's your brother these days FH Chick? Has he told you anymore BS stories?

Forum Member

who is this guy?
    11LK is formerly known as a troll named firehouse chick.

Forum Member

Thumbs up

NICE SAVE! Bravery can only be defined by those men who have been put in the position to be called brave.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I'm throwing the BS flag on this one. I would LOVE to see YOU do an ISO shuttle and MAINTAIN over 500 GPM. Not saying it can't be DONE but having done it a few times,I know what it takes. And to do almost three times that? Puuleeze! 1300 gal per minute for two hrs is a schitload of water and coordination. Just NOT seeing it. T.C.
    We do it.

We very rarely need to, and there are parts of our district where that isn't going to happen due to the distance to fill points, but it's very rare that we run short of water for residential operations.

Forum Member

Comparing a warehouse in New Orleans which has a significant homeless population where abandoned buildings commonly house squatters and homeless and a rural parish on the other end of the state with no significant homeless population and no history of occupancy is like comparing apples and potatoes.

Hardly a justification for us to consider all buildings empty until we determine they are.

Forum Member

Still Going? Really? I was hoping this thread woulda gone away by the time I got back. So much for that Christmas present.....
    Matt G.
    Battalion Chief
    IACOJ-Member
    FTM-PTB

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mtg55 View Post
    Still Going? Really? I was hoping this thread woulda gone away by the time I got back. So much for that Christmas present.....
    New Fuel. I predict thirty pages. T.C.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    New Fuel. I predict thirty pages. T.C.
    Runnin on Troll power now? Must be the new "green" thing. Every time I see this I turn green......
    Matt G.
    Battalion Chief
    IACOJ-Member
    FTM-PTB

Forum Member

Runnin on Troll power now? Must be the new "green" thing. Every time I see this I turn green......
    Hehe,Wasn't thinking trolls(on this thread)more the N/O fire. T.C.

Forum Member

According to information my contacts in NO have provided me, the building was fully involved end-to-end and partially collapsed on arrival.

There were no interior operations until the fire was knocked down with heavy streams from the exterior.

Forum Member

How long would it have been burning? Wouldn't someone had called 911 before it got that bad?
    Benton Fire District Four
    Ladder One
    First Due!

Caddo Parish Fire District 1
    Career Firefighter/Paramedic

When things get rough, just say:
    Acabo de perder cinco minutos de su vida.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FIREguy2011 View Post
    How long would it have been burning? Wouldn't someone had called 911 before it got that bad?
    You would be very supprised.......Once asked, "What took you so long, It's been burning for 20 minutes" (re: restaurant on fire) by some girls that worked at a bank next door. Units only had a 3 minute on scene time, when asked if any of them dialed 911, they looked at each other and said "no, you guys just don't come?!" Ug.....
    Matt G.
    Battalion Chief
    IACOJ-Member
    FTM-PTB

Forum Member

Had that happen to me more than once.
    VB Rescue Squad 14
    EMT-Basic

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FIREguy2011 View Post

Based on my limited knowledge of NO, I beleive that is a fairly run-down, emprty part of the city, with mostly empty buildings, especially at that time. Probably nobody around to report it and I doubt the squatters had cells.

Also it was a very lightweight construction that would have spread very quickly based on the description.

MembersZone Subscriber

You would be very supprised.......Once asked, "What took you so long, It's been burning for 20 minutes" (re: restaurant on fire) by some girls that worked at a bank next door. Units only had a 3 minute on scene time, when asked if any of them dialed 911, they looked at each other and said "no, you guys just don't come?!" Ug.....
    Ah, the ubiquitous "20 minutes." It seems to be a pretty standard response time from the public's point of view, even if the firehouse is next door and the FF's saw the fire start.

The girls at the bank weren't blonde, were they?
    Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

Forum Member

I have figured out how some of the public gets the miscontrued view that we take forever. I remember leaving 2 House one morning to go to my part time job and passed by a wreck, pretty bad looking actually, that had only 2 PD cars and an ambulance. It took me 15 minutes to get to my PT job, and I would say it had been at least 5 minutes before I went by the wreck, and dispatch FINALLY toned out engine 2 to the wreck. I was thinking WTF?!?!? I guess PD and EMS finally decided they might need some help afterall, idiots.

MembersZone Subscriber

That happened last night in the crazy weather we had. Patients were stuck in their car for almost 20 minutes before we were toned out. I felt bad for them and I'm sure they assumed it was us just taking a while. Other times we're toned out immediately for car fires and it's water on the brakes..... Leo will never get it right.
    ‎"I was always taught..." Four words impacting fire service education in the most negative of ways. -Bill Carey

MembersZone Subscriber

We used to have that delay problem when the state police got the cell phone calls. They'd get their people going, then call the county dispatch to pass along the info so fire and EMS could be dispatched. If you happened to be home listening to the scanner you could be at the station before the tones started to drop.

That changed when the cell phone calls started going to county dispatch. Now the LE and Fire/EMS dispatchers both get the call at the same time.

But I have seen it time and again - the public perceives that it took "20 minutes" for us to get there, when the tale of the response times tells a far different (and much shorter) story.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by tree68 View Post
    We used to have that delay problem when the state police got the cell phone calls. They'd get their people going, then call the county dispatch to pass along the info so fire and EMS could be dispatched. If you happened to be home listening to the scanner you could be at the station before the tones started to drop.

That changed when the cell phone calls started going to county dispatch. Now the LE and Fire/EMS dispatchers both get the call at the same time.

But I have seen it time and again - the public perceives that it took "20 minutes" for us to get there, when the tale of the response times tells a far different (and much shorter) story.
    USED TO???....I sat at an accident for over 30 minutes just a couple weeks ago - I RADIOED in the accident (witnessed it too!) directly to the NYSP - who gave it to T-way.....it took about 40 minutes for an ambulance to arrive - about 10 minutes after they ~finally~ got dispatched!.....NYSP STILL has a policy to NOT send fire/EMS until a Trooper is on scene requesting one.....

I now have the local PD dispatch number in my cell to call them directly if needed for EMS/Fire.....911 goes right to NYSP.....

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by pasobuff View Post
    USED TO???.....
    Yep - used to.

Our county OEM got the funding and staffing to get cell 9-1-1 sent to the county dispatch center. All land-line 9-1-1 calls go there as well. Aside from the dispatchers occasionally being busier than a one-armed paper hanger (it's been documented that a single incident on the Interstate will generate 8-10 calls), it's been great.

The only way to directly call NYSP is by dialing their seven digit number, which some people still do based on the fact that I still hear their dispatcher originating calls occasionally.

Both the sheriff's patrols and local NYSP monitor both the NYSP and sheriff's channels, so in that respect, they're acting as one agency.

What does happen on occasion is that an MVA is reported as property damage, the patrol arrives on scene and confirms there are no injuries, but a half hour later somebody decides that maybe they really do want to get checked out medically, so an ambulance is dispatched.

Forum Member

lucky you...

Actually, where I live, 911 goes to the local sheriff - get on the NYS Thruway east of me and it goes to SP...who then has to transfer to Com-Sec who then dispatches......my beef with the call I mentioned above was NYSP got a call direct from another barracks (the one I had radio communication with) with a report of injuries from a unit on scene and didn't bother dispatching EMS.....for 18 minutes until the TOLL BOOTH called it in!

Forum Member

Reading what Tree and Pasobuff posted.. your 911 situation can be summed up by a line in the film "Cool Hand Luke"...

What we got here is... failure to communicate.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Thread Information