Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 30 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast
    Forum Member

And maybe my family would understand too.

However, I will not put them in that position.

Again, if that makes me a coward, so be it. If that makes me a wannabe or a poser, so be it.

And again, it's certainly not like a brother to judge one's actions based on what you would do. Or on the expectation of a culture.

That's why someone who decided not to take action, would not be viewed as such in my eyes.

Nevermind.
    Last edited by Chenzo; 01-19-2010 at 08:39 PM. Reason: it doesnt matter what i post

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    And maybe my family would understand too.

However, I will not put them in that position.

Again, if that makes me a coward, so be it. If that makes me a wannabe or a poser, so be it.

And again, it's certainly not like a brother to judge one's actions based on what you would do. Or on the expectation of a culture.

That's why someone who decided not to take action, would not be viewed as such in my eyes.
    Why are you a fire fighter? Why not an accountant, car salesman, or Walmart greeter? If you would not do what is expected of you why not do something that has little or no risk? Why let the citizens you are suppose to protect live with false security?

Better question: why do you people continue to have this pointless debate? Get over it and move on already.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Forum Member

Why are you a fire fighter? Why not an accountant, car salesman, or Walmart greeter? If you would not do what is expected of you why not do something that has little or no risk? Why let the citizens you are suppose to protect live with false security?

When I'm not on the job or not acting as a volunteer in my district, I am a civilian.

I owe nothing to the citizens of a community that does not pay my salary. If the situation is manageable, I will act. if it is not, that's why they pay their firefighters or have their volunteer force. They are covered in the event of death or serious injury. I am not.

When operating on the clock or as a volunteer with my own department, I do have the obligation, both moral and legal, to perform my job and take reasonable risks. Because of that, my family is protected should I have a serious injury requiring time off from work, or should I be killed. My family understands that may happen and I have assured them they will be protected.

And I don't feel it's fair to take those risks when not protected. It's simply not fair to my family.

Forum Member

Better question: why do you people continue to have this pointless debate? Get over it and move on already.

Excellent question.

I have no idea why folks are so interested in my intestinal fortitude, or the lack of it.

It's amazing how some folks here think they have the right to judge the actions of others in these situations.
    I cannot believe you just said that.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    I cannot believe you just said that.
    That is EXACTLY what I thought. That's why he is, and always will be, nothing more than a f*ucking pot stirer.

MembersZone Subscriber

When operating on the clock or as a volunteer with my own department, I do have the obligation, both moral and legal, to perform my job and take reasonable risks.
    And I don't feel it's fair to take those risks when not protected. It's simply not fair to my family.
    Just a note, but do you realize with that statement you admit to violating federal labor laws? You are a supervisor/officer with in your department correct? Do you think that puts your family's security in jeopardy? I was just wondering.

Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Your an idiot.

Perhaps.

No, absolutely for sure and this post proves it once again.

But each and every actions come with a set of consequences. It's up to each of us to make the decision to act, or not act, based on if we are willing to accept those consequences if things go wrong.

Frankly, how do you ever act at any emergency scene? The very nature of the job of a firefighter puts us in harms way. Obviously we make informed decisions but we still must place ourselves in harms way. It is impossible to do this job properly and not do that.

To simply expect that anyone should act automatically is simply wrong. They simply may not be able to accept the consequences of their actions.

Then they are far too cold or cowardly to call themselves a human being. How do you standby and watch a child burn to death in a car and not make an attempt? How do you standby and watch elderly people die when they are obviously savable and not make an attempt? No one is saying commit suicide, what we are saying is if the possibility for a rescue is there then the attemot must be made. I couldn't live with myself if my only reasons for not trying were I am off duty or it isn't my community. My mind set has always been I am never really off duty and if my services are needed I will do my best.

It's amazing how some folks here think they have the right to judge the actions of others in these situations.

Seriously, how do you face ourself in the mirror? you are such a complete ****ing hypocrite with this comment by you that it is almost unbelievable. You have judged guys for making rescues without gear as wreckless, you have said you would discipline a guy who makes a grab out of a window of an infnt because he didn't have his helmet on, you have REPEATEDLY desecrated the memory of LODD's because you judged their actions wrong by your standards. You have judged so many times that it is ludicrous for you to even make the statement above.
    Just shaking my head at you and your overwhelming hypocrisy
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Forum Member

Then that affirms everyone's knowledge that you aren't a brother, CONSIDERING YOU DO IT EVERY SINGLE DAY OF YOUR MISERABLE EXISTENCE.

Quote Originally Posted by ATFDFF View Post
    Then that affirms everyone's knowledge that you aren't a brother, CONSIDERING YOU DO IT EVERY SINGLE DAY OF YOUR MISERABLE EXISTENCE.
    A-F*UCKING-MEN

And fyred, your third statement in red is EXACTLY what I was trying to get at. You hit it on the head.

Quote Originally Posted by SPFDRum View Post
    My family would. They have understood from day 1 that I would risk laying my life down for another. It comes with learning, knowing, and accepting the job. Now before you chicken s h i t s jump on your high horse and defend your cowardly ways, lets get this straight. I am not talking going off half ****ed in some in some completely obvious lose, lose situation. But using my experience, knowledge, and skill to make a decision with a positive outcome. But in order to gain the experience and skills required, it takes a certain risk. To do anything less is is either being a poser for some sick reason, or worse, a coward.
    EXACTLY! Well said.
    FTM-PTB-RFB
    IACOJ

Forum Member

Remind me to stay of of Bossier Parrish. Do the citizens there know that they are on thier own and no one is coming for them when they need it most? How do you look at yourself in the mirror?
    Last edited by JMac73; 01-19-2010 at 11:29 PM.

This is the same guy who openly admitted that he would leave a kid inside car that was on fire to burn to death because he didn't want to get a burn on his arm that his insurance might not cover. And he says it with a straight face.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

A Great place USA, which means not West Coast...!

LA, I hope I never meet you...
    FDNY 343 9/11/01 WILL Never Forget!

(W-6)

"We Lucky Few We Band of Brothers." William Shakespeare

"let no man's ghost return to say his training let him down. "

D-P-T

But each and every actions come with a set of consequences......
    The out come on that is the same as if you went to work(assuming you do Fight Fire). Don't even try to duck that one.

Is there any one else that would not have made that same choice?
    Courage, Being Scared to Death and Saddling Up anyways.

[B]
    When I'm not on the job or not acting as a volunteer in my district, I am a civilian.

I owe nothing to the citizens of a community that does not pay my salary.

You Sir are a Amazing..... That type of thinking is a F*ucking disgusting existence, How can you say that you owe nothing to your fellow man? especially one in need.
    Courage, Being Scared to Death and Saddling Up anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by TruckSixFF View Post
    LA, I hope I never meet you becuase if I do I am going to kick your ***.
    And 1,000 witnesses from fh.com would give the same statement to the police.... "Yes officer, he tripped over that hose and fell right on his face. Looked like it hurt something fierce. He must not be used to having a hose line deployed on the fireground and wasn't watching his step."
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Thread Information