Forum Member

lol why would anyone tank on these guys? Great job to them and thanks for sharing this!

Read my post. Never "tanked on them".

JUst pointed out to the newbies that acting off-duty and out of district has potential concequences.

Forum Member

On the day of Osceola County/Fire Rescue Lt. John Mickell's funeral there was an Engine crew from Hialeiah I believe. They were staying at a family members house in Orlando. They were in class "A" uniform enroute to the funeral and caught a job. Guess you would have just driven by, huh?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    The 343 FDNY Members gave their lives evacuating the towers, before they fell. Saved 10s of thousands.

On the job. How many of those 343 were volunteers acting out of district with no protection for thier famalies?

We are discussing an off the clock situation.
    I believe this would definetely considered "off the clock" and "out of district".

Forum Member

LA do you get paid to sit on FH.com all day?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JMac73 View Post
    No response, must be lunch time.

Forum Member

I believe this would definetely considered "off the clock" and "out of district".
    Please explain to me how FDNY firefighters responding to the Twin Towers were off the clock and out of the district?

And yes, I understand there were some firefighters killed who had just come off shift, however, since they were responding with thier department, in thier territory, with the ranking officer's permission, they would have been covered as if they had been on-shift.

Forum Member

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the day of Osceola County/Fire Rescue Lt. John Mickell's funeral there was an Engine crew from Hialeiah I believe. They were staying at a family members house in Orlando. They were in class "A" uniform enroute to the funeral and caught a job. Guess you would have just driven by, huh?

If you actually read my posts, you would have seen where I stated that if we are in a fire department vehicle, and we pass an incident where responders have yet to arrive, we are required to stop and render whatever aid we can.

We have done this several times going to and returning from training.

On slow days, I do have down time. Especially since I taught a class off the clock last night.

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Of course he does. He has his minions the volunteers doing his work so he has time to screw off and rip off the citizens of Bossier Parish. Nice gig if you can get it. Damn lazy paid guys!!
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Forum Member

Damn, now you have me figured out.

Of course, I'm still waiting on the minions. Are they likr those little people in the Wizard of Oz?

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Damn, now you have me figured out.

Of course, I'm still waiting on the minions. Are they likr those little people in the Wizard of Oz?
    You'd be funny if you weren't such a pathetic poser.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

MembersZone Subscriber

Take a week or two off, and come back to this crap. Oh well,the more things change the more they stay the same. I was going to rant about wussies yard breathers NFPA Nazis but then I realized that all Id be doing is wasting my time. No need to talk about sobs that are more than willing to let a child burn up in a car, right before their eyes, all because the incident was outside their district. So I will just let it go and end by saying great job men.
    Stay Safe
    Bull

“Guys if you get hurt, we’ll help you. If you get sick we’ll treat you. If you want to bitch and moan, then all I can tell you is to flick the sand out of your slit, suck it up or get the hell out!”
    - Capt. Marc Cox CFD

Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.
    -WINSTON CHURCHILL

Forum Member

No, only half his time is accounted for as LAFireImitator... the other half he logs on as the Dumber part of his Dumb & Dumber tag-team of aliases, ScareCrow57.... *sings* "if he only had a brain..."
    I would assume 57 was his IQ, but that would technically put him in the "mentally retarded" category, and I think most mentally retarded people would be greatly offended at being put on the same "level" as him.
    My opinions might coincide with someone of importance's POV... I wouldn't know, since I never bothered to ask. My policy is: "Don't ask, don't care."

IACOJ--West Coast PITA

Forum Member

So I am the same person as Scarecrow?

Given that this thread was started with me in mind, I have no idea why you are complaining that I on this thread.
    Last edited by LaFireEducator; 01-20-2010 at 05:39 PM.

Forum Member

We're not complaining that you're in this thread. We're really just complaining that you were born/hatched in the first place. Its not this thread, its your overall existence really.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

makes good girls go bad

The amusing part has passed now.
    Me taking 15 seconds to make him look (further) like an *** is old.
    Just quit. fcuking quit. Don't let the door hit ya where the good Lord split ya.
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
    This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

Forum Member

Original story... Great grab! Way to assess the situation and make a go/no-go call, and save a life! Put the training and courage to good use, and actually serve the public. GREAT GRAB, Tip-O-Da'-Leather to you.

Just to play devil's advocate. What would the conversation go IF the story headline was "Off duty Trooper and Firefighter die trying to save family in fire"? Would we be all God Bless? I hope. Would the threads topic title be "Real men go interior off duty with no equipment and die."? I don't know. Would we be all criticizing the cop for trying to be a fireman? Probably.

Again, they assessed the situation and made a great call. Awesome job, good grab.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FiremanLyman View Post

Just to play devil's advocate. What would the conversation go IF the story headline was "Off duty Trooper and Firefighter die trying to save family in fire"? Would we be all God Bless? I hope. Would the threads topic title be "Real men go interior off duty with no equipment and die."? I don't know. Would we be all criticizing the cop for trying to be a fireman? Probably.
    For me it would be an at least they tried moment. Better than doing nothing IMO. But regardless, that's not thr case.
    Congrats again on a nice save.

MembersZone Subscriber

I never stated that I would allow my own family to burn to death if conditions were too dangerous. I would do anything to save my family. They are my family and are my responsibility.

However, I did say that I would stop firefighters from entering the structure. I also did say that I would hold absolutly no ill will towards firefighters that decided to not make entry on a structure in which memebers of my family were.
    They are not thier responsibility.
    Yeah, it is their responsiblity. Thats part of the job. Something you know nothing about.

Your wife is in a burning building, you are stuck in traffic, and you get on the radio and say "guys, its probably a little hot in there, just let her burn"?

What is your wifes name and number - she needs a man in her life.

Forum Member

Please explain to me how FDNY firefighters responding to the Twin Towers were off the clock and out of the district?

And yes, I understand there were some firefighters killed who had just come off shift, however, since they were responding with thier department, in thier territory, with the ranking officer's permission, they would have been covered as if they had been on-shift.
    Yes, many responded on board apparatus as FDNY changes shift at 0900. However a great many also responded directly to the scene- There is a story of how one group responded in a personal pleasure boat (from Rockaway, Queens I believe) as this was faster than vehicle due to traffic congestion. Many in Brooklyn went through the Bklyn Batter Tunnel to the scene. Many went through the Queens Midtown Tunnel directly to the scene..... Now go ahead, flame them if you have the balls.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Yes, many responded on board apparatus as FDNY changes shift at 0900. However a great many also responded directly to the scene- There is a story of how one group responded in a personal pleasure boat (from Rockaway, Queens I believe) as this was faster than vehicle due to traffic congestion. Many in Brooklyn went through the Bklyn Batter Tunnel to the scene. Many went through the Queens Midtown Tunnel directly to the scene..... Now go ahead, flame them if you have the balls.

I didn't say a damn thing about the FDNY fireman.

Chenzo claimed, for some reason, though it really didn't have anything to do with the discussion, that the FDNY personnel responding to the twin towers were responding out of their district. I was explaining to him that they were NYC fireman responding within NYC.

He also claimed that they were responding off-duty. I agreed that some were off-duty and had gotten on the apparatus anyway, but most were on duty.

The fact is they were NYC fireman responding into NYC after either they asked permission from the company commanders or were responding as part of a recall, so they were protected by department insurance as well as death and injury benefits.

Forum Member

Yeah, it is their responsiblity. Thats part of the job. Something you know nothing about.

I guess that is the crux of the issue between myself and many posters here.

The fact is we are not responsible for somebody surviving a fire. They are. They are responsible for installing and maintaining smoke detectors. They are responsible for practicing escape. They are responsible for safe heating, cooking, smoking and other practices.

We are responsible for assisting them in escaping. We are not responsible for dying because they failed to install smoke detectors, practice fire escape procedures and maintaining firesafe practices.

It is not our responsibility to die because they were negligent in their responsibilities. it is our responsibility to do what we can and still return to the station.

Your wife is in a burning building, you are stuck in traffic, and you get on the radio and say "guys, its probably a little hot in there, just let her burn"?

Ya, that's it.

Man, you guys like to embellish.

I do not expect my friends on the department to take unreasonable and die attempting to rescue my wife. They have families to return to that are as important as my wife is to me. My wife is no more important than the responsibility they have to be around for their families.

If they can make the rescue without injury, that's why they respond. If they cannot make the rescue without a significant risk of death or injury, then I expect them to back off and do what they need to do to meet the obligation to their families, which is to come home safe, alive and uninjured.

I refuse to say my family is more important than their family. that is simply not fair and not what you ask of other firefighters.

Forum Member

I guess that is the crux of the issue between myself and many posters here.

The fact is we are not responsible for somebody surviving a fire. They are. They are responsible for installing and maintaining smoke detectors. They are responsible for practicing escape. They are responsible for safe heating, cooking, smoking and other practices.

We are responsible for assisting them in escaping. We are not responsible for dying because they failed to install smoke detectors, practice fire escape procedures and maintaining firesafe practices.

It is not our responsibility to die because they were negligent in their responsibilities. it is our responsibility to do what we can and still return to the station.

Ya, that's it.

Man, you guys like to embellish.

I do not expect my friends on the department to take unreasonable and die attempting to rescue my wife. They have families to return to that are as important as my wife is to me. My wife is no more important than the responsibility they have to be around for their families.

If they can make the rescue without injury, that's why they respond. If they cannot make the rescue without a significant risk of death or injury, then I expect them to back off and do what they need to do to meet the obligation to their families, which is to come home safe, alive and uninjured.

I refuse to say my family is more important than their family. that is simply not fair and not what you ask of other firefighters.
    I am speechless...simply speechless.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

I love how everyone acts so suprised whenever this stuff comes up, like it hasn't happened 45 times before.

The wheels on the bus go round' and round'...
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Forum Member

I am speechless...simply speechless

Speechless because I hold the public responsible for doing what they should do to escape a fire or because I care enough about the firefighters I work and volunteer with, and that I feel it is only right they return home to their families rather than save mine in an extreme situation, and possibly be seriously injured or killed in the effort?

My brothers deserve to live. They should not do anything beyond the norm to rescue my family. That would be pure selfishness on my part.

Forum Member

I love how everyone acts so suprised whenever this stuff comes up, like it hasn't happened 45 times before.

I didn't bring this up.

I was attacked, again.

If you don't want to here it, don't bring up what I have already openly stated.

Thread Information