makes good girls go bad

Default Real men go interior to make a grab.....

This'll stir the pot.
    Off duty Sheriffs Deputy and Fire Lt. make 2 different rescues on 2 different places.
    No gear. No SCBA. No RIT.
    Placing their life on the line, SO OTHERS MIGHT LIVE.
    Tip o the lid to ya, gentlemen.
    Ga. Deputy Sheriff and FF Considered Heroes for Roles in Two Fire Rescues

Jonathan Overstreet

The Augusta Chronicle, Ga.

Jan. 19--When she first saw Sgt. Stephen Shunn on Wednesday morning, Mildred Martin couldn't figure out why there was a stranger inside her house.

But he's a deputy, and her house was on fire.

Shunn had seen the smoke as he was driving by on his way to his second job and pulled over to help. Martin wasn't yet aware of the fire, which had already engulfed her roof and would gut her home of 55 years.

Shunn, moonlighting on a day off from the Aiken County Sheriff's Office, didn't know if anyone was in the house at 234 Williamson Drive in Bath, but went around it, opened a side door and went inside, where he found the 79-year-old Martin.

"I was in the house and I was walking around," Martin said. "I didn't know anything was happening."

Despite the awkwardness of their first meeting, Martin and Shunn reunited Monday evening with hugs and tears of joy and gratitude.

"You could have just drove on by and left me," she said. "I thank God you came by when you did. I love you to death. I'll never forget you."

Talking about it earlier, Shunn was modest about his role.

"It wasn't any Hollywood-style rescue," he said. "I just did what had to be done."

Her son Charlie Martin Jr. thinks Shunn is selling himself a little short.

"I thought they had sent all our heroes to Iraq and Afghanistan," he said. "I'm just thankful they left one behind."

An eyewitness, Tim Lowman, of Belvedere, who stopped as he was driving by in his Ferrellgas truck, shares that opinion.

"I believe that just a few minutes' difference would have been a life or death situation for her," he said. "He saved her life. I really believe he did."

Rescues like that don't happen every day -- usually.

But there were two of them that Wednesday morning.

An Augusta firefighter, Lt. Donald Wilson, was on his way home from work when he saw a burning house at 1382 Clark Road.

"I was lucky enough to be in the right place at the right time," he said.

He got on his cell phone and called dispatchers. Then he saw Paul Spry emerge from the burning home.

Spry told the firefighter that his mother, 82-year-old Bertha Spry, was still inside.

Working together, Wilson and Paul Spry broke a window and pulled Bertha Spry out.

"She was talking and yelling, and I was able to coach her to the window," Wilson said.

The 52-year-old house was destroyed. Bertha Spry was taken to the Joseph M. Still Burn Center at Doctors Hospital, where she was treated for smoke inhalation and released Friday night.

Her oldest son, William Walker, of Waynesboro, Ga., said Sunday she still wasn't up to talking. But Paul Spry had a message for Wilson.

"I'd like to say thank you to him," he said.
    Now that our resident cowards are going to get a hold of this, over analyze it, pick it to death, I am going back to the other site to resume my duties.
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
    This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

Forum Member

Sits back with a bowl of popcorn. (which can be easily dumped out in the sudden need to vomit....)
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Well done by both. I'm sure both incidents meet the standards for "vacant" or "not worth the risk" for the two idiots.

Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Forum Member

Here we go again, But this time I can get in before it gets Locked down.
    Courage, Being Scared to Death and Saddling Up anyways.

Forum Member

lol why would anyone tank on these guys? Great job to them and thanks for sharing this!

Forum Member

Good save. I'm sure the familys are very greatful someone went ABOVE and BEYOND their duty. Congrats.

Fireemt712, just wait. If you get the right guy in here he will start tankin these guys. Just wait.

Forum Member

I conceed that it sounds insane that anyone would actually talk crap about these two guys. But you just wait. Its coming.

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhacker View Post
    Here we go again, But this time I can get in before it gets Locked down.
    That would require action by the Webteam. Highly unlikely.

MembersZone Subscriber

I am sure these two Brothers would not think of themselves a heroes, but that is the point. They did not think, they reacted in a proactive way that saved lives. I am sure most of our Brothers in blue and red would do no less.
    Hats off to them.

MembersZone Subscriber

Great job by these two. Tip of the leather to ya.

Forum Member

I am sure most of our Brothers in blue and red would do no less.
    I'm fairly sure if they wouldn't, they're not quite deserving of the title "Brother".

Now that our resident cowards are going to get a hold of this, over analyze it, pick it to death, I am going back to the other site to resume my duties.
    Yeah, who the hell let you out of the chains anyways? Here, put yer hood and tutu back on, Jeffie's waitin for ya. *snaps the Cat O'Nine Tails*
    Last edited by the1141man; 01-19-2010 at 04:21 PM.
    My opinions might coincide with someone of importance's POV... I wouldn't know, since I never bothered to ask. My policy is: "Don't ask, don't care."

IACOJ--West Coast PITA

MembersZone Subscriber

Never mind
    Last edited by Acklan; 01-19-2010 at 04:21 PM. Reason: re-read the other posts.

Forum Member

It's a choice they made, they did a nice job, and they were successful.

I would think nothing less of them if they made a different choice.

I hope the famalies were prepared for the concequences if it didn't work out so well.
    Last edited by LaFireEducator; 01-19-2010 at 07:19 PM.

Forum Member

^^ Case and point ^^

I've typing this big long response to explain what a moron you are. But then I realized that everyone already knows so why bother.
    Last edited by nmfire; 01-19-2010 at 08:38 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    I would think nothing less of them if they made a different choice.
    Your an idiot.

Forum Member

Your an idiot.

Perhaps.

But each and every actions come with a set of consequences. It's up to each of us to make the decision to act, or not act, based on if we are willing to accept those consequences if things go wrong.

To simply expect that anyone should act automatically is simply wrong. They simply may not be able to accept the consequences of their actions.

It's amazing how some folks here think they have the right to judge the actions of others in these situations.

Forum Member

It's amazing how some folks here think they have the right to judge the actions of others in these situations.
    Why? You do it all the time you ignorant hypocrite. Shouldn't you be out watching a house burn down or something?

Forum Member

Your an idiot.

Perhaps.

But each and every actions come with a set of consequences. It's up to each of us to make the decision to act, or not act, based on if we are willing to accept those consequences if things go wrong.

To simply expect that anyone should act automatically is simply wrong. They simply may not be able to accept the consequences of their actions.

Blah, blah, blah.
    Same ****, different day..
    Congrats again to the two on a nice save.

MembersZone Subscriber

Your an idiot.

Perhaps.

If they can't accept the consequences of their actions, they should be a plumber. Or a volunteer plumber.

When you start out along this merry path we call firefighting, you should know up front what it entails. If it is not for you, then find another job.

I heard there was a department in LA that has an actual position for a educator that claims to be a firefighter. I hear it is filled right now with someone who fits that description well.

makes good girls go bad

Your an idiot.

Perhaps.

Greater love has no man than this, that a man gives up his life for his friends.
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
    This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

Truckie

I hope the famalies were prepared for the concequences if it didn't work out so well.
    My family would. They have understood from day 1 that I would risk laying my life down for another. It comes with learning, knowing, and accepting the job. Now before you chicken s h i t s jump on your high horse and defend your cowardly ways, lets get this straight. I am not talking going off half ****ed in some in some completely obvious lose, lose situation. But using my experience, knowledge, and skill to make a decision with a positive outcome. But in order to gain the experience and skills required, it takes a certain risk. To do anything less is is either being a poser for some sick reason, or worse, a coward.
    My posts reflect my views and opinions, not the organization I work for or my IAFF local. Some of which they may not agree. I.A.C.O.J. member
    "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
    George Mason
    Co-author of the Second Amendment
    during Virginia's Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788
    Elevator Rescue Information

Forum Member

And maybe my family would understand too.

However, I will not put them in that position.

Again, if that makes me a coward, so be it. If that makes me a wannabe or a poser, so be it.

And again, it's certainly not like a brother to judge one's actions based on what you would do. Or on the expectation of a culture.

That's why someone who decided not to take action, would not be viewed as such in my eyes.

Forum Member

Nevermind.
    Last edited by Chenzo; 01-19-2010 at 09:39 PM. Reason: it doesnt matter what i post

MembersZone Subscriber

And maybe my family would understand too.

However, I will not put them in that position.

Again, if that makes me a coward, so be it. If that makes me a wannabe or a poser, so be it.

And again, it's certainly not like a brother to judge one's actions based on what you would do. Or on the expectation of a culture.

That's why someone who decided not to take action, would not be viewed as such in my eyes.
    Why are you a fire fighter? Why not an accountant, car salesman, or Walmart greeter? If you would not do what is expected of you why not do something that has little or no risk? Why let the citizens you are suppose to protect live with false security?

Forum Member

Better question: why do you people continue to have this pointless debate? Get over it and move on already.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Forum Member

Why are you a fire fighter? Why not an accountant, car salesman, or Walmart greeter? If you would not do what is expected of you why not do something that has little or no risk? Why let the citizens you are suppose to protect live with false security?

When I'm not on the job or not acting as a volunteer in my district, I am a civilian.

I owe nothing to the citizens of a community that does not pay my salary. If the situation is manageable, I will act. if it is not, that's why they pay their firefighters or have their volunteer force. They are covered in the event of death or serious injury. I am not.

When operating on the clock or as a volunteer with my own department, I do have the obligation, both moral and legal, to perform my job and take reasonable risks. Because of that, my family is protected should I have a serious injury requiring time off from work, or should I be killed. My family understands that may happen and I have assured them they will be protected.

And I don't feel it's fair to take those risks when not protected. It's simply not fair to my family.

Thread Information