Forum Member

Default Leave my civil service department for non civil service department?

I have been working for a while in a civil service department. I am also a IAFF member. However, I have recently been offered employment by a NON civil service department that pays ten thousand more dollars per year. It is an airport fire department in Texas.

How risky is it to be employed by a non civil service department and can you still be a member of the IAFF? If you are a member of the IAFF, is there any benefit to being a member if you are working for a non civil service department?

I am having a hard time making this critical decision in my life. On one hand I have a civil service department and on the other... a ten grand pay raise...

Forum Member

Civil service law (Texas Chapter 143 here in TX) is what keeps us from getting fired on the whim of the chief. It's what says to get promoted everyone has to be tested equally, not just kiss the chief's *****. All that job security surrounding disciplinary action, promotion, demotion, etc... is civil service based. IAFF has limited benefits outside of civil service.

If I may ask, what department did you get on with?

Forum Member

My limited understanding about this is that Texas is an at will state, so unless you are civil they can fire you with out cause, as stated above.

Does it happen that much, I do not hear about it unless you are messing up real bad.

How long is the probation period???? one year??? usualy if they are going to let you go it is in that one year period.

I would say go for it, unless there are some other factors holding you back

Would this be temple????
    Last edited by cdafd49; 01-27-2010 at 03:06 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

My friend, you are looking at this all wrong.

You are doing what so many younger or inexperienced people tend to do and that is look at the annual salary, which is bad bad bad.

You need to compare EVERYTHING. You are already worried about job security...all for what? 10K more a year?? Do you think it is worth it??

Let us examine a 10K raise in annual income.

10,000 more equals 833.00 more a month.

After taxes, you will either bring home 708 or 624 more a month.

The 2009 Federal Tax bracket is 15% for 8350-33950 and
    25% for 33950-82550

Is this 10K raise going to push you into the higher bracket or are you already there?

Regardless, you are only bringing home 624 or 708 more a month.

What is the cost difference in health insurance plans?
    What is the cost difference in traveling to this new job and all of its stations?
    Any other associated costs not covered?

Now, what does ONE overtime shift a month allow you to bring home extra?

What is your peace of mind in regards to job security worth?

What is giving up job seniority and job hopping worth?

Do all of these things add up to 624.75 a month??

Only you know the answer but be sure to analyze everything before making this decision for such a low increase in pay.

Edit: I did not even mention State Tax requirements as I am unfamiliar with your state, nor did I account for FICA/Medicare....

I am not making your situation seem less important but it is hardly a "critical decision" once you consider all of the above...Good Luck!
    Last edited by AKflightmedic; 01-27-2010 at 12:39 PM.

Forum Member

No State Tax in Texas, YET

but they do not give back money like AK, even though they should
    Last edited by cdafd49; 01-27-2010 at 03:06 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by xstalkrx View Post
    I have been working for a while in a civil service department. I am also a IAFF member. However, I have recently been offered employment by a NON civil service department that pays ten thousand more dollars per year. It is an airport fire department in Texas.

How risky is it to be employed by a non civil service department and can you still be a member of the IAFF? If you are a member of the IAFF, is there any benefit to being a member if you are working for a non civil service department?

I am having a hard time making this critical decision in my life. On one hand I have a civil service department and on the other... a ten grand pay raise...
    Is it with Lockheed or Bell Helicopter?
    IF YOU CAN'T TAKE THE HEAT, GO BE A COP!

MembersZone Subscriber

A safe, secure job with a pension is as important now as it ever was. As mentioned earlier, you need to consider all the variables, such as the medical premium cost (deductible with the new plan?), comparable pension benefit (you're a fool to leave a pensioned position for one with only a defined contribution, for only 10k/yr), availability of OT, possibly subjective promotional practices (favoritism), schedule, travel time, and other fringe benefits such as paid time off (both the number of days and ease in gaining approval for actual use of these days), and of course job security.

Some employers quote a high starting salary to draw attention away from their organization's shortcomings as they pertain to employee benefit/satisfaction. Do your homework.

MembersZone Subscriber

All the above have mentioned great points. Listen to them. Money isn't everything.

I am leaving the Federal Fire service and taking a $20,000 pay CUT!!

But, I will see my family more, be home more, work less...while actually seeing more work, better beneifts that I don't have to pay a penny for me and my family, better training and equipment, no forced Overtime, less travel time, less tolls (poss. none depending upon which way I go to work), a way better union, the list goes on.....I think you get my drift here.

It all comes down to one thing: Quality of Life!! I know that even making less $$ for a few years, that I, as well as my Family are going to be A LOT HAPPIER!!!!!
    A Fire Chief has ONLY 1 JOB and that's to take care of his fireman. EVERYTHING else falls under this.

Thread Information