Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default Where's the fire? It's in the firehouse

This article was published in The Day, the local newspaper for New London, CT. I apologize if it's been posted already, but I couldn't find it in a search of the forums.

Where's the fire? It's in the firehouse
    By Kenton Robinson
    Publication: The Day

Published 01/16/2010 12:00 AMUpdated 01/16/2010 01:48 AM0

Catching up now, with the holidays past, we return to a story that broke just before Christmas, one that raises, once again, the question: Why are so many firefighters so childish?
    http://www.theday.com/article/20100116/ENT07/301169920

Forum Member

just as many jerk offs in other professions, except they don't get their occupation attached to their action.

Its also a bit hypocritical when a volunteer does something stupid and they write the story calling him a firefighter when for 40+ hours a week he's a plumber/accountant/teacher/pencil pusher/etc

Might be me, but that sure sounds like a lot of issues in a fairly small area.

Maybe that's more acceptable in some areas. It is not in mine.

Its also a bit hypocritical when a volunteer does something stupid and they write the story calling him a firefighter when for 40+ hours a week he's a plumber/accountant/teacher/pencil pusher/etc
    Sorry, I disagree. I expect my members to be on the higher end of the moral standard. We serve the public. We should be held to a higher standard.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bones42 View Post

Sorry, I disagree. I expect my members to be on the higher end of the moral standard. We serve the public. We should be held to a higher standard.
    Yeah but do you tell them they cannot go to the bar or the ball game and get drunk and wasted and not act a fool? Its hard to find that perfect department, it doesn't matter where you go, there will always be that one who brings the departments name down.

Forum Member

How is that related to what I said? If a career guy builds habitat for humanity houses and gets a DWI do they call him a carpenter or a firefighter when they write the news article? So why should a volunteer firefighter get written in the paper as a firefighter every time they do something done. Call them what their real job is.

I don't care what standard they get held to, but if the guy is a firefighter 20 hours a week but a vacuum salesmen 40 hours a week. Call the idiot a vacuum salesmen when you write the article about the dumb crap he does.

farmerfire1156, No I don't. But every member knows what is expected of them. It's explained to them by a committee when they apply. It's handed to them, in writing, when they are accepted. No, it's not perfect and neither are they (we).

nameless, I guess I don't hold vacum salesmen at the same level you do. Being a FF is a privilege, not a right. You screw up and make an @$$ of yourself...you stand to lose that privilege.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

nameless, I guess I don't hold vacum salesmen at the same level you do. Being a FF is a privilege, not a right. You screw up and make an @$$ of yourself...you stand to lose that privilege.

ugh. All I can do is ask you to carefully re-read my posts since its clear you aren't understanding what is written.

What I'm saying is a lot of these jerk offs are volunteer firefighters, so what that means is they have a FULL TIME JOB. Just like career firemen have a fulltime job, being fireman. When a career guy that plays in a recreational hockey league gets caught doing something stupid the NEWSPAPER or TV NEWS never writes "Hockey Player arrested for doing something stupid". So why when a volunteer gets caught up doing something dumb the news report always reads "Fireman caught doing something dumb"

Do you understand my compliant now? It has nothing to do with what you think firefighting is, or how your organization regards discipline. Just out of curiosity, do you know what the term "non sequitur" means?
    Last edited by nameless; 01-20-2010 at 08:22 PM.

Actually, I very well understand what you are saying. I just don't agree with it.

Forum Member

your responses indicate otherwise.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by nameless View Post
    your responses indicate otherwise.
    I agree with Bones42 on this one,

It doesn't matter if you are volunteer or not. Even if you work 2 other jobs for 80 hours a week, the minute you join the Fire Department you will be scrutinized even more.

Firefighters are often on the top of any list that asks "what profession is most ethical", "who do you trust most", "etc". So the actions of any firefighter (full time, part time, vollie) will always be judged in a more severe light.

If a volunteer firefighter makes a rescue, the paper doesn't report "off-duty carpenter makes a rescue".
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin

Forum Member

I never said volunteers shouldn't be held to a high standard. I just think its silly to drag a profession through the mud because some guy that does it on nights and weekends does something stupid which isn't even affiliated to his volunteering.

I don't give a rat's ***** about how your department handles disciplinary stuff. that is irrelevant to what I was talking about.

MembersZone Subscriber

I never said volunteers shouldn't be held to a high standard. I just think its silly to drag a profession through the mud because some guy that does it on nights and weekends does something stupid which isn't even affiliated to his volunteering.

I don't give a rat's ***** about how your department handles disciplinary stuff. that is irrelevant to what I was talking about.
    Does it matter any more what a career firefighter does when he is not affiliated with his job?
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusKspn View Post
    Does it matter any more what a career firefighter does when he is not affiliated with his job?

I'd rather it didn't.

MembersZone Subscriber

I'd rather it didn't.
    But it does, even though it shouldn't. It's the downside of being a firefighter. It is a respected title. And anyone who bears it, even if only for a few hours each week, does something that harms it, the media will focus on that above all else.

The news people want ratings, they are not in the business of sympathy.

MembersZone Subscriber dmleblanc's Avatar
    Not the end of the earth but I can see it from here...

Thumbs down

Sorry, I gotta throw the BS flag on this one...

after he passed out at the Chesterfield Fire Co.'s annual banquet, one of them draped his penis over his face while the other took pictures.
    urinated in front of the Stonington Borough fire station
    illegally blocked Route 85, causing traffic to back up for three miles
    having sex with another firefighter in a department bunkroom
    underage drinking at the department's annual banquet
    firefighter trainee set three houses ablaze to impress his colleagues
    refused to respond to emergency calls
    This wasn't some guys getting drunk at a bar or some other unrelated activity, these shenanigans are going on AT THE FIREHOUSE or DURING A FIRE DEPARTMENT EVENT. That's the issue.
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream — and I hope you don't find this too crazy — is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    — C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

Forum Member

I didn't realize that was an exhaustive list......

Know what's funny? The censoring software won't let someone write "***'t chief" but will let you post "penis". Odd.
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream — and I hope you don't find this too crazy — is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    — C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

See what I mean?
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville, LA

— C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

Just noticed an article on the home page about a retired FF being charged with arson. Should it be mentioned that he is a retired FF? After all, that is not his occupation anymore.

IMO....the answer is Yes.

The list that was shown has all antics that occur during fire department events, at the firehouse or something to do with fires. As I read that list its truly sad to see the type of people the public call "heroes" act in such a unprofessional manner. And its not because their volunteer because I've seen paid "Professional" fire fighters act exactly the same. Cops are no different either.

I come from a volunteer fire department I still expect my fire fighters to act in a manner not to embarrass the Fire Department and the town even on personal time. About a year ago we made it a rule that fire fighters on my department can't wear fire department shirts with my departments logo on it to any public place that will involve alcoholic drinks or anywhere else it may be innapropriate and may put the department in a poor public light. We've already had some issues with fire fighters doing stupid acts and luckily it was never major enough to make the newspaper.

Once your a fire fighter your a FIRE FIGHTER. Doesn't matter if your a plumber, ditch digger, or dish washer. And when you get in trouble your gonna be scrutinized since you are a fire fighter and are held to a higher standard then most people.
    Stay safe!

Thread Information