Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Forum Member

Not fire service related, but I worked for a Fortune 500 company a few years ago that got in FLSA probllems twice in a three year period.

First, the DOL decided the company had too many people categorized as salary that should be hourly. The solution, the DOL told them, by name, 3000 employees who had to convert from salary to hourly. Next the DOL estimated an approximate number of hours of back overtime that the company had to pay those employees. I think I got about $8k, because they only went back 4 years.

2 years later, DOL came back and said that the company was calculating shift start times wrong and owed all current and former hourly employees 15 minutes per shift of overtime for the previous 4 years. Since this affected over 10,000 people, it hurt too.

I got a couple grand that year.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by kd7fds View Post
    Not fire service related, but I worked for a Fortune 500 company a few years ago that got in FLSA probllems twice in a three year period.

First, the DOL decided the company had too many people categorized as salary that should be hourly. The solution, the DOL told them, by name, 3000 employees who had to convert from salary to hourly. Next the DOL estimated an approximate number of hours of back overtime that the company had to pay those employees. I think I got about $8k, because they only went back 4 years.

2 years later, DOL came back and said that the company was calculating shift start times wrong and owed all current and former hourly employees 15 minutes per shift of overtime for the previous 4 years. Since this affected over 10,000 people, it hurt too.

I got a couple grand that year.
    Yeah, the whole thing about the FD's hiring firefighters as janitors made me think those guys will have a nice little retirement when they leave an drop the dime to DOL or whoever regulates the wages, taxes and hours. The same situation you noted above, happened to a Fortune $.05 company I worked for, we all got back pay for any hours worked and not directly compensated at time and one half. It put a real hurt on the little business, for something the employees had agreed to, but the Fed's didn't care. It was mostly about them paying the taxes on the time and a half as I recall. We were just happy to still have jobs.

Default conflict appears misguided

In the absence of any information other than considering the order was a life safety issue, it's really difficult to make any sort of recommendation or provide guidance as to resolving the conflict with the order, itself.

Is the issue the order or the order came from a volunteer officer? After a few months of duty shifts, you are questioning the officer because he's a volunteer. You too are a volunteer; you just recently joined up, full time. The amount of active experience on "real runs" is on par with those volunteers that are responding with you on 3rd shift. If you are getting the experience, so are they.

You've made a point of distinguishing that you now a "career" guy and the order came from a volunteer. I can't believe that the issue lies with "life safety" since the verbose post doesn't provide any detail.

I'm a member of a combination department. I don't distinguish between volunteer and career, nor do I believe that is an attribute that measures aptitude, commitment or ability.

One could take the incorrect position and state that one shouldn't take orders from a career FF with less experience and vise versa. I prefer to rely on the leadership of the department as a whole to determine rank and the chain of command. No system is perfect, but you work with what you have.

If we begin questioning everyone's decision making, then we'll either put ourselves in harmís way by delaying critical task completion or create "freelancing" which gets people killed.

Rely on your fellow firefighters. Where the paycheck comes from is not relevant.

I would hazard a guess that you had trust issues with the Vol Lt prior to your acceptance of the duty position.

At the end of the day, if you've made no mistakes, then you are ahead. Tomorrow may not go as well and try to grant this consideration to others.

If you don't like or trust the chain of command, then get promoted and change it for the better.

This is a team sport and at the end of the day, we all answer to those we protect.

You sound young so please hang onto your enthusiasm. Channel that energy into being the best firefighter you can be and don't sweat the little stuff.

Be safe.

Thread Information