Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default More good press, will it be accepted now? This was emailed to me

FIT 5 deployed, successful outcome.

http://thereporteronline.com/article...a550330639.txt

Harleysville, PA, apparently from the Chief (Harleysville Fire Chief Todd Burns hcfc89@yahoo.com (215) 256-9657,) who deployed it.
    When I first arrived flames were visible through the second floor window of a duplex and there was a decent amount of smoke coming out of the edges of the windows. I chose to deploy the FIT-5 through the window because the other option would have been to go through the front door and find my way up the stairs. I deployed the FIT approximately 3-4 minutes before my first truck arrived on scene.

By the time the first truck arrived on scene, the room was totally dark and no fire was visible through the window from the outside. The first crew through the front door went up to find smoke and a decent amount of heat, but no flames. They immediately called for ventilation to clear the room of the smoke and aerosol powder that filled the room from the FIT-5. As the room cleared they used a little bit of water to wet down the smoldering furniture.

The attic was filled with blown-in insulation. The FIT-5 was able to keep the fire from reaching the attic, as well as other bedrooms, kitchen, bathroom, and kept much of the homeowner personal belongings intact, which turned out to mean the most to the homeowner. There was also very little, if any, water damage to the first floor apartment. As far as we can tell the FIT-5 worked as the company said it would in this case. I don't believe it's the perfect tool for every fire, but in this case it worked very well. As far as the MSDS sheet for the FIT-5 goes, I was able to find one by typing "FIT-5 MSDS" into Google. The results can be found here: http://www.usfiretech.com/MSDS-FIT5.pdf . Or http://www.usfiretech.com

The things we learned are that if you are going to deploy a FIT-5 your first in crew will definitely need a thermal imager because you will not be able to see through the aerosol and smoke. You will also need to have good communication between your ventilation crew and interior crew as always. We are working to have homeowners' insurance pay for a new FIT-5.
    You can find pictures of the fire on our website at www.harleysvillefire.org.

So a Chief throws it through a second floor window at unknown fire. Regardless of whether there was anyone in that room, without having any idea of what was on fire (like the single chair it was) and you want to call this a big success?

Really?

How about you get up there with a water can, put the chair out, and go home.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Please take small children firmly by the hand and hang on Here We Go......

Quote Originally Posted by Bones42 View Post
    So a Chief throws it through a second floor window at unknown fire. Regardless of whether there was anyone in that room, without having any idea of what was on fire (like the single chair it was) and you want to call this a big success?

Really?

How about you get up there with a water can, put the chair out, and go home.
    and besides it costing $1000 a piece!!!

Here's some info on the FIT 5 that many departments are forgetting because they think this is the new SAVE ALL PRODUCT!

The Fit 5 cannot be set off in an area where there are potential victims. Besides the intense quick heat it sets off when it activates it always creates a large powder substance that causes zero visibility for fire fighters and can cause alot more harm to a possible trapped victim. So when a fire chief just throws it into a a burning house he can be causing more harm. But this has yet to happen so there is still good press on the product. The only time I would use a product like this would be for more under ground fires. Like a electrical vault etc.

here's a good thread http://www.firehouse.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103778 (Fit-5 Fire Extinguishing Device)
    Stay safe!

Forum Member

mentioned it in another thread, go to their website and you can see pictures of the fire. It looked like a cheap particle board desk was burning and maybe a chair. Not sure if anything else was building because they totally stripped a wall, but the one with char on it from the desk was untouched in the picture.

Looks like a throwable extinguisher.

Quote Originally Posted by nameless View Post
    Looks like a throwable $1000 extinguisher.
    Adjusted that for ya...

I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Forum Member

"More good press, will it be accepted now?"

No.

Thread Information