Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Part-Time Firefighter?

Just wondering about the prevalence of part time firefighting positions. By part time I mean still work typical career shifts, just less of them. I am wondering about this since during college I think it would be a good opportunity to work. And my lowly thinking seems to think that part time positions would be coming up more than full-time due to little or no benefits of the part-time position. That is correct thinking right? I'll just give you some of my "qualifications"
    Firefighter I and possibly II
    Hazmat Ops
    EMT-B and will probably obtain medic as soon as possible
    Fire Science degree from Kirkwood Community College
    Eagle Scout
    Hopefully ROTC student
    About 1 1/2-2 years of volunteering

Just hoping some of you guys that have more experience in the hiring of career firefighters can give me some insight since all I deal with is the volunteer side.

Thanks

Your experiences and credentials preceed you. But as you I'm sure know, there is nothing quite normal about firefighting. Part time work as you describe is quite rare. In fact, I'm not sure I've ever even hear of such a thing.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Quote Originally Posted by nmfire View Post
    Your experiences and credentials preceed you. But as you I'm sure know, there is nothing quite normal about firefighting. Part time work as you describe is quite rare. In fact, I'm not sure I've ever even hear of such a thing.
    I've heard of it, but I think your right on thr quite rare part. I can't recall anyone in my area who has part time. I may be way off and wrong, and if so, if someone could correct me I'd appreciate it. But I just think its uncommon. (I'm assuming were talking like 0800-1700 or something along those lines. Not full 24 hour shifts, but between 8 and 12 hour day or night shifts.)

There are plenty of departments that only have day shifts. But they are full-time day shifts. I think he's looking for literally part time work. Like pick up a 4hr shift here a weekend there etc. Like as a second job. It would be kinda nice.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

I was a part-time fire fighter for a combination fire department. They had 3 career firefighters, one per shift and the rest of the staff was volunteers. I was not a volunteer there but was hired because of my credentials and experience. When ever one of the career guys needed a planned day off or took vacation the FD hired part-timers like me, there were 5 or 6 of us at the time, to fill in. Generally you took the entire 24 hour shift, but it was not unheard of to work less than that if that's what they needed.

Generally, it is an attempt to keep the minimum number of paid personnel on duty without hiring more full time staff.
    “The person who risks nothing, does nothing, has nothing, is nothing, and becomes nothing. He may avoid suffering and sorrow, but he simply cannot learn and feel and change and grow and love and live.” Leo F. Buscaglia

This place gets weirder and weirder every day...

MembersZone Subscriber

We have some departments in this area that will do some part-time firefighters. These are typically smaller combination departments that have a paid driver or two and hire part-time work to fill in when they're off, rather than hiring overtime.

They're few and far between, but they're out there.

Banned

[political commentary] There is a great resistance to having PT fire fighters, but there are a few that are progressive enough to try it. [/political commentary]

However, it would help the guys on here if they knew where you are or where you are looking.

Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Quote Originally Posted by ScareCrow57 View Post
    [political commentary] There is a great resistance to having PT fire fighters, but there are a few that are progressive enough to try it. [/political commentary]

However, it would help the guys on here if they knew where you are or where you are looking.
    Show documentation of your opinion. Otherwise it is nothing more than your usual mindless claptrap.
    “The person who risks nothing, does nothing, has nothing, is nothing, and becomes nothing. He may avoid suffering and sorrow, but he simply cannot learn and feel and change and grow and love and live.” Leo F. Buscaglia

This place gets weirder and weirder every day...

Forum Member

We have a full-time 7 day a week position that is filled by part-time using our volunteer staff.

We also have a Saturday and Sunday part-time slot.

In addition, part-timers cover any days off or vacation shift openings. Full-time personnel are not eligable for overtime.

Most of the combo deopartments around here use part-time personnel.
    Last edited by LaFireEducator; 01-20-2010 at 12:42 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

We use our volunteers as part-time to fill open slots on the shift or for extra help. The full time staff is offered any open spot and if they don't take it, the part-time guys get asked to work. They are only allowed so many hours a year before FLSA comes into the picture. I don't think that any of them have gotten close to that number.

most firefighter positions around here are 24 on 48 off which can be worked out well with college assuming what you are going to school for will benefit the department (medic/fire science)

If I had to say where I was going to be going to college it would be at University of Illinois at Champaign-Urbana. For what four year degree I have no clue.

Edit: It doesn't even matter to me how often the work is. I just enjoy doing it and I feel that working part time would be the best opportunity to do it. Another reason I am leaning towards U of Ill. would be the fire service institute located there to provide the opportunity to get more education.
    Last edited by CGITCH; 01-20-2010 at 01:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    I was a part-time fire fighter for a combination fire department. They had 3 career firefighters, one per shift and the rest of the staff was volunteers. I was not a volunteer there but was hired because of my credentials and experience. When ever one of the career guys needed a planned day off or took vacation the FD hired part-timers like me, there were 5 or 6 of us at the time, to fill in. Generally you took the entire 24 hour shift, but it was not unheard of to work less than that if that's what they needed.

Generally, it is an attempt to keep the minimum number of paid personnel on duty without hiring more full time staff.
    I stand corrected. Thank you.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    Show documentation of your opinion. Otherwise it is nothing more than your usual mindless claptrap.
    I've gone for pages on these very forums debating the use of Part Time fire fighters. Folks like Gonzo, FireMedic et al have argued at length that there is no place in the fire service for part timers.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CGITCH View Post
    If I had to say where I was going to be going to college it would be at University of Illinois at Champaign-Urbana. For what four year degree I have no clue.

Edit: It doesn't even matter to me how often the work is. I just enjoy doing it and I feel that working part time would be the best opportunity to do it. Another reason I am leaning towards U of Ill. would be the fire service institute located there to provide the opportunity to get more education.
    I personally do not go to UofI but a lot of my friends do and I spend ample time down there. One of my friends down there joined the local volly company and does that. Although it is not paid if you are looking just for the experience look into that. I will try to get the name of the volly he is on and come back with that. If not, it can't be too hard to find.

Quote Originally Posted by sTages19 View Post
    I personally do not go to UofI but a lot of my friends do and I spend ample time down there. One of my friends down there joined the local volly company and does that. Although it is not paid if you are looking just for the experience look into that. I will try to get the name of the volly he is on and come back with that. If not, it can't be too hard to find.
    Yes even that, I have about 1.5 years before I would be going down there to school but I just don't want all of my training I have done/will be doing to go to waste during college. After I finish my schooling, depending on whether or not I can get an ROTC scholarship through the Guard or Army I would like to go full time and maybe substitute teach on my days off (Thinking about majoring in education). If I really had to say what I see myself doing right now it would be teaching fire science classes at a community college and working full time for a department.

Forum Member

I started out as a volunteer before getting my certifications, then after FF 1/EMT-B I moved to the stations part time. You work a full 24 hour shift when needed, or cover the remainder of a shift if needed due to illness or something of that sort that would leave the station short. During the same time, I could also come in when needed for major incidents and get paid while working. The station has 6 full time FF's, 4 part time and a dwindling volunteer corps.

Forum Member

Ambulance District in my area has part-time Paramedics. Paramedics who take 3 or 4 shifts a month, maybe more sometimes. Helps cover for vacations, sick days, etc.

Most of them are full-time for another district, but some of them are people who do other things.

I know a couple Paramedics who only work part-time for hospitals in the ER, mostly weekend and night shifts.

Forum Member

Also I just thought about this. There are two hospitals down near UofI and I am not sure if both do, but I know one of them has an ambulance service where they are basically run part time by students with their EMT-B/P license. You work one or two shifts a week that fits with your schedule.

Does anybody know the qualifications of the Urbana department? I e-mailed the recruitment e-mail to ask a few questions about whether or not the hire part time and qualifications etc. Haven't gotten a reply back yet, but I will wait and see. I've also looked at Northern Illinois, what is the DeKalb department like?

Thread Information