Forum Member

Question Fire Truck Company's

Does anyone know of any good Fire Truck Builders located in GA. I have looked at a few but I don't know a whole lot about the ones that I have looked at. I want a company that builds a lot of different types Tankers, Pumpers, Brush Trucks, etc. They need to be full NFPA compliant does anyone have any suggestions for a comphttp://www.firehouse.com/forums/images/icons/icon5.gifany?

Forum Member

We purchased a tender from Southern Fire Service in Jasper GA 5 years ago and we have been very happy with it, saved a bunch of money by not paying for a big name too
    http://www.southernfireservice.com/tankers.htm

Forum Member

Default Company

I have seen there web site I just didn't know how well they where. I would like to get a good price on a truck that's why I haven't went for place's like Peirce Manu, E-one, Etc. because of the fact that they are real high in price. Did they seem to help you out? What kind of truck did you buy? Does anyone else have an opinion about southern fire service?

Forum Member

You might try posting this in Apparatus Innovations forum here on firehouse.com. I have always gotten good replies in that forum.

Forum Member

Try Freedom Fire they are just north of Atlanta. I have used them several times before and have been very happy.

www.freedomfireequipment.com

Forum Member

We had great success with them, the few issues we had where with the commercial chassis, all known issues and all covered by factory warranty.
    We had the water level sensor go out, we called SFS and they sent out a new one right away which was upgraded by the manufacturer. We had flown down to do the pre-delivery inspection and found only very minor items that where quickly corrected and they drove it all the way up to MI and delivered it, all for far less than brand name competitors. Now here's where everyone jumps in and claims their truck with the big shiny chrome logo is far superior, whatever, we felt it to be more responsible to get a basic tender that will carry the water we need without an 8 man cab, *** warmers in the seat (apparently we cant say ***, so I'll substitute butt for ***) and case of t-shirts sent from the factory. This is a very rugged and dependable truck that performs the function of a tender, and does it as efficiently as those with back massagers and voice activated controls. Oh and we managed to save enough money from the original budget to build a brand new 4 bay fire station, it too is without any chrome logo's

Forum Member

Default Freedom

I looked at there trucks and I like their trucks so I took a look at a set of specs from them, and I noticed that the only thing that said NFPA compliant was the Lighting, I may be wrong on this if so let me know. I know that the new NFPA calls for the Roll-over protection and 50% of the rear truck to be covered in chevron reflective. Southern Fire Service looks like they build really good trucks. Thanks for the help it's hard to find a fire truck company that wants to help and that doesn't just want your money.

Forum Member

Realize that the NFPA standard includes custom chassis builders as well as commercial, so they have to include certain items that are covered when purchasing factory chassis, such as rollover protection, courtesy of Kenworth, in our case. If you look through the px, you will see newer deliveries that have the chevrons, ours was prior to that code.

Forum Member

Default Nfpa

I was looking at southern fire service website and called them and they said that their trucks are full NFPA compliant. They seem to have the best looking trucks that I have seen. Do they have a service center near you or do they service you from their location?

Forum Member

Most of the issues we have had have been related to the commercial chassis, the minor items are taken care of by us or our local certified repair facility that handles our truck repairs. We have not had any issues that required any support directly from SFS, it got handled locally.

Forum Member

Default Sfs

Well that's good, so did you apply for a truck grant for the 2009 year or no?

Forum Member

We apply every year, but our numbers are border line so we havent been successful but we keep trying

Thread Information