Thread: Biodiesel

Forum Member

Default Biodiesel

Is anybody using Biodisel in their apparatus? I am not sure if it would even work, but if it does, you can basically get free fuel from Mickey D's.

If it is possible, it could help alot of low-budget departments out.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by charlie82 View Post
    Is anybody using Biodisel in their apparatus? I am not sure if it would even work, but if it does, you can basically get free fuel from Mickey D's.

If it is possible, it could help alot of low-budget departments out.
    Sounds like you need to do some more research on biodiesel.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Forum Member

True biodiesel and used oil from deep fryers are two different things. Many people are using Mac'y special oil as fuel in their diesel cars. I haven't done any serious looking into it, but I know that they have to filter out various impurities in order to use it.

There's tons of info out in the trucking trade press about biodiesel, but I don't ever remember anyone discussing used french fries. I do believe that the cloud point would be way to high to be usable in winter time in much of the country.

Even true biodiesel is a blend of 5% to 20% vegetable based oil in regular diesel. There have been some problems reported with it, again, mostly in colder climates.

Each of the engine manufacturers has weighed in on the subject with what they will or won't recommend for use in their engines and under what controls or conditions. I don't think any of them suggest fueling at BK or Wendy's. But you really want to find out what they have to say about it.

Stay safe out there, everyone goes home!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GTRider245 View Post
    Sounds like you need to do some more research on biodiesel.
    Actually, by using a relatively simple physical and chemical process called transesterification that is inexpensive, you can convert cooking grease into diesel that will run in most standard diesel engines. Don't take my word for it, look up "green grease machine" and the "veggie van." There are many forms of biodiesel, such as those made from alcohol or from organic mixtures containing regular diesel.

I am sorry if my original post was vague. No, you could not put in straight cooking oil, you need to modify it first into biodiesel.
    Last edited by charlie82; 01-21-2010 at 01:54 PM.

Forum Member

Actually, by using a relatively simple physical and chemical process called transesterification that is inexpensive, you can convert cooking grease into diesel that will run in most standard diesel engines. Don't take my word for it, look up "green grease machine" and the "veggie van." There are many forms of biodiesel, such as those made from alcohol or from organic mixtures containing regular diesel.

I am sorry if my original post was vague. No, you could not put in straight cooking oil, you need to modify it first into biodiesel.
    In many cases you also need to have two fuel systems. In colder temperatures vegetable oil tends to congeal and many diesels will not start with the vegetable oil, instead one needs to use true diesel fuel. Once the engine is sufficiently warm, the fuels system can be transfered over to the vegetable oil tank. Of course using diesel like this ensures diesel fill ups will be far and few between.

Forum Member

I would assume though that an apparatus in heated bays that is never turned off on scene would not face this problem?

Forum Member

I would assume though that an apparatus in heated bays that is never turned off on scene would not face this problem?
    Likely it would never be an issue unless it was an all day extended call. However, I would be concerned about warranty issues when using homemade Biodiesel
    Last edited by Frmboybuck; 01-22-2010 at 10:48 AM.
    Buck
    Assistant Chief/EMT-B

Forum Member

Talking

We have been using commercially produced Biodiesel for 5 years.
    It produces less emissions , less smoke and runs cleaner through the trucks fuel systems. We are running B-15 year round with no ill effects.
    Initially it cleans out all the built up residues in the system , so we had to change fuel filter a little more frequently. We have Ford, navistar & Cat diesels engines running in the fleet.
    Commercial bio-D is not much different in price from dino D.

The chiefs son has been running homebrew bio for over 7 years in volkswagon rabbits and a jetta. It is a little thick in the winter and he has a heating system for the fuel tank .

MembersZone Subscriber

DIESEL is made from petroleum. Various alternatives are made from other stuff.

We operate on $12000 a year so as budget constrained as anyone. While I might put some syntetic BS in the tank of a POC VW Rabbit it would be a cold day in hell when I put the product of someones garage science experiment (including corporate made) in the tank of a valuable piece publically owned piece of equipment.

Would you go down to the local farm fleet and buy their 2nds on rubber rainboots to use with your turnout gear? Find somewhere else to "save" $200/year.

Forum Member

Their are actually quite a few misconceptions about biofuels. In fact, the first diesel engine ran on vegetable oil. I think it would be best if a manufacturer tried it first, certifying that their engines can run on biofuels. These fuels have their plusses and minuses, but it can be a away to save a lot more than 200 dollars a year. Our diesel bill is in excess of 500 a month, so we could stand to save quite a bit.

I wonder if there are any untold performance issues with these fuels, which is why I posted this question here.

Forum Member

Their are actually quite a few misconceptions about biofuels. In fact, the first diesel engine ran on vegetable oil. I think it would be best if a manufacturer tried it first, certifying that their engines can run on biofuels. These fuels have their plusses and minuses, but it can be a away to save a lot more than 200 dollars a year. Our diesel bill is in excess of 500 a month, so we could stand to save quite a bit.

I wonder if there are any untold performance issues with these fuels, which is why I posted this question here.
    Even if biodiesel was$.20/gallon cheaper, which it isn't, you would save less than $450/yr with your figures. Then you would have to figure in the fuel milage which is poorer with biodiesel. In the end, you would likely save nothing. As far as performance.....biodiesel does not make the power that dino diesel does.
    Buck
    Assistant Chief/EMT-B

Thread Information