Thread: Haiti....

Forum Member

Default Haiti....

Removed out of respect.
    Last edited by FireEMT712; 01-31-2010 at 10:10 AM.

Forum Member

Yes. Get to florida and get on a boat. Help needed ASAP.

Say NO to self-dispatching.
    FF/Paramedic

Forum Member

Removed out of respect.
    Last edited by FireEMT712; 01-31-2010 at 10:12 AM.

Forum Member

Read the article at this link:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/34958965...ti_earthquake/

Read about how well-meaning people who want to help get in the way, and turn operations into CF's (confusing fires). If the Haitian Earthquake has peaked your interest in Disaster response, then go sign-up for an organization that might give you the knowledge, skills, and abilities that you will ned for the NEXT "big one". Don't worry, there will be another....

You may be the best EMT on the planet, but it doesn't mean that you have the KSA's to operate in a disater environment like Haiti.
    "If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."

George S. Patton

MembersZone Subscriber

Agreed, just say NO to self dispatch - if it is 2 miles away or 2000 miles away.

Get involved with a DMAT team. Need contact information? Where are you?

There will be more events.

MembersZone Subscriber

No offense to you, but you have been on your current department for 6 months with no previous experience? In my opinion, you are no where qualified to be thrown into that type situation, unless you are with more experience personnel. The environment there is far different than what you are used to, I promise you that.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by TNFF319 View Post
    Yes. Get to florida and get on a boat. Help needed ASAP.
    Thats just wrong

Forum Member

Removed out of respect.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by FireEMT712 View Post
    Thank you all for the bashing!!! That was awsome, a disaster to me would be a good learning experience more than anything. As far as being under qualified, I'm sure i am but the idea was if they needed help I was willing to try.... I'm pretty sure um no EMT-B is really "qualified" to help in something like this but i figured even if i'm playing nurse in hospitol I could try to do something. I find it funny to see so many people on here with poor attitudes towards people that want to help.. Isn't helping what we all signed up for? seems like years of experience turns some of u into rude people that think people less experienced or less certified are just useless. Anyway, I'm in the IL area if I could get that info for the NEXT disaster I'd appreciate it. You guys need to remember that you too started at the bottom of the totem pole.
    Yep, we all started at the bottom, so we can help you along all the better. And if you think anyone is bashing you - man you have not been in the field long. You really need some thicker skin.

Illinois being a big state, if you are anywhere close to St Louis check out these folks, http://www.mo1dmat.org/

A disaster is NOT the place to learn. People simply don't have the time to show a newby the ropes. You train before hand, learn before hand, in training, standby events, etc.

Playing Nurse in a hospital? You do realize that your EMT is just a pittance of what a Nurse recieves for training? Why would you think you would even be qualified to work as a nurses aid?

Its two different fields. Do you also think you could play doctor? How about play surgeon?

Forum Member

Another site to look at would be Fema's Website, Got to agree with both sides. When your young and wanna have fun you DO need a thicker skin. After you have been around for awhile you grow tired of all the "I can save the World" attitudes. But mostly its the Know-it-all-rookies behind it.
    Not saying you are either one, but just giving you a better Idea where some of the responses may have came from.
    USAR is something i have about as thick a knowledge has the hair on a Gnats Arse. I do know how ever that Hatti is not that place to learn it. Do some more reasarch and you will find a spot to get into it at, IF you really wanna.
    Courage, Being Scared to Death and Saddling Up anyways.

Forum Member

seems like years of experience turns some of u into rude people that think people less experienced or less certified are just useless.
    ... yep, hit the nail on the head there, Bambi.
    NEXT!
    My opinions might coincide with someone of importance's POV... I wouldn't know, since I never bothered to ask. My policy is: "Don't ask, don't care."

IACOJ--West Coast PITA

Forum Member

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by FireEMT712 View Post
    So I'm curious if anyone knows if there's a need for EMT's in Haiti or if the Doctors without borders organization has got it covered? last i heard they had too many doctors not enough supplies. Any info would be helpful!!

Have you not read any of the other threads about Haiti? Look for them and the answers are the same as the Brothers are giving you here.

Guys are gnawing at the bit to leave home and go to a foreign county to get into the mix!

The USAR Teams that are there are highly training members and non members of the fire service. They are not freelancers or someone who ran from home to go there to get involved. All these folks have passports, the proper shots, health cards and certifications to be there. They are all accountable to the federal government and the agencies which they belong to.

Yes being an EMT is a great start in learning the EMS, but those who went to Haiti are trained much more than a basic EMT. This is not a place to learn the skills!!

This was a problem several years ago in Louisiana and Mississippi, where guys from all over self invited themselves to get into the action. In most cases they were turned away and sent home, when officials learned that they were not a members of a USAR Team or had been invited and sent by a department.

This operation is by no means a place to learn from the ground up. There is no free lancing going on there. The members there are working long hard tedious hours just to retrieve maybe one or two people from a collapse building.

If you want to take this as bashing or ball busting, then have at it.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

MembersZone Subscriber

As far as being under qualified, I'm sure i am...
    Your post should have ended there.
    PROUD, HONORED AND HUMBLED RECIPIENT OF THE PURPLE HYDRANT AWARD - 10/2007.

Forum Member

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeWendtCFI View Post
    Your post should have ended there.
    Have to agree with George!

Forum Member

Removed out of respect.

Forum Member

Removed out of respect.
    Last edited by FireEMT712; 01-31-2010 at 10:13 AM.

Forum Member

We had a registration passed around yesterday. They are looking for people who spek Creole.

Forum Member

Default Why not help Haiti

Quote Originally Posted by bgfdtower1 View Post
    No offense to you, but you have been on your current department for 6 months with no previous experience? In my opinion, you are no where qualified to be thrown into that type situation, unless you are with more experience personnel. The environment there is far different than what you are used to, I promise you that.
    How do any of you know what this gentleman is used to? Instead of everyone bashing this man we need to be commending him! I myslef are signed up to go to Haiti. What's with the "NO self dispatch"? I think people only shoot down this idea and disagree with it because it is something they would like to do but just dont want to make the time or have the guts to do it. I dont know how long this other gentleman has been in the Emergency services but I have for 8 years, and yes it would be a drastic change than what were used to but if that stopped everyone, no one in Haiti would have help. Its ashame when the world wants to stop lending a helping hand.

John Chapman,
    Firefighter II
    NCREMT

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Southern_Medic218 View Post
    How do any of you know what this gentleman is used to? Instead of everyone bashing this man we need to be commending him! I myslef are signed up to go to Haiti. What's with the "NO self dispatch"? I think people only shoot down this idea and disagree with it because it is something they would like to do but just dont want to make the time or have the guts to do it. I dont know how long this other gentleman has been in the Emergency services but I have for 8 years, and yes it would be a drastic change than what were used to but if that stopped everyone, no one in Haiti would have help. Its ashame when the world wants to stop lending a helping hand.

John Chapman,
    Firefighter II
    NCREMT
    John, self dispatching to a foreign disaster area, hell, any disaster area is foolish, not ballsy. An untrained person, (yes, and entry level EMT or firefighter is essentially untrained for the mission at hand) is just another mouth to feed and shelter, and is a drain on already reduced resources. If someone wants to go they should do so as part of an organized group, one with resources, resupply, logistics, security and most of all, self sufficient and with a skill set that would be of use.

Forum Member

Removed out of respect.
    Last edited by FireEMT712; 01-31-2010 at 10:10 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Go back, drop the "save the world" wacker complex, and read what has been posted.

Without experience and training in response to a situation like this, you are a liability more
    than you are a help.

I know, you are super EMT with 8 years experience, so much more qualified than any of us. Your signature line causes me to react with awe.

Then read the reports of good intended volunteers showing up and being just more problems than they are help.

Then show us how your EMT and FFII makes you capable of dealing with a major event like Haiti.

Now, if you are able to speak french or creole, well enough to hold a conversation, as I posted over a week ago, there are openings. Notice, they don't care much about EMT or FFII, they need translators.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LVFD301 View Post
    Yep, we all started at the bottom, so we can help you along all the better. And if you think anyone is bashing you - man you have not been in the field long. You really need some thicker skin.

Illinois being a big state, if you are anywhere close to St Louis check out these folks, http://www.mo1dmat.org/

A disaster is NOT the place to learn. People simply don't have the time to show a newby the ropes. You train before hand, learn before hand, in training, standby events, etc.

Playing Nurse in a hospital? You do realize that your EMT is just a pittance of what a Nurse recieves for training? Why would you think you would even be qualified to work as a nurses aid?

Its two different fields. Do you also think you could play doctor? How about play surgeon?
    First off people who dont know what theyre talking about should be seen and not heard. You talk about this guy being a newby and him not being qualified and the training and EMT receives? Talking trash and trying to demean him only shows how mentally incompetent you are. I hope you are neither a Paramedic or a firefighter. I am both. And I am going to Haiti. I am not playin doctor nor surgeon. Everyone is bashing him because he's just an EMT. Its actually pretty pathetic how everyone is telling him he shouldnt do it, when if you all got the chance you would probably take it but for noe are not wether its because your too lazy or dont know where to look or mabey your wife wont let you?? Either way he wants to lend a helping hand. Leave him alone.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LVFD301 View Post
    Go back, drop the "save the world" wacker complex, and read what has been posted.

Without experience and training in response to a situation like this, you are a liability more
    than you are a help.

I know, you are super EMT with 8 years experience, so much more qualified than any of us. Your signature line causes me to react with awe.

Then read the reports of good intended volunteers showing up and being just more problems than they are help.

Then show us how your EMT and FFII makes you capable of dealing with a major event like Haiti.

Now, if you are able to speak french or creole, well enough to hold a conversation, as I posted over a week ago, there are openings. Notice, they don't care much about EMT or FFII, they need translators.
    Your attempt to overtype me causes me to react in awe. I NEVER said I was more qualified than anyone. I have learned alot but still have so much more to learn. EVentually those people who went over there initially do at some point have to go home. All I was saying is dont talk junk to someone who is looking for answers and just wants to help. It makes you look like "its not happening to you so you dont care" I also never said the bein a EMT or firefighter II makes me qualified. I am qualified in structure collapse as well as crush injuries causing compartment syndrome, wich is primarally the problem theyre having. Have a good one!!

Forum Member

This is halarious. To think that there are actualy people who support the idea of just picking up and heading to a foriegn disaster zone to "help". Being as you have ZERO training and qaulification to be there, coupled with the fact you would be FREELANCING, you would most likely add to the problem before you helped.

And taking your ball and going home becuase the ones who know what they are talking about told you something you didnt want to hear shows how you are exactly the kind of person I would NOT want beside me in a situation like Haiti.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Southern_Medic218 View Post
    First off people who dont know what theyre talking about should be seen and not heard. You talk about this guy being a newby and him not being qualified and the training and EMT receives? Talking trash and trying to demean him only shows how mentally incompetent you are. I hope you are neither a Paramedic or a firefighter. I am both. And I am going to Haiti. I am not playin doctor nor surgeon. Everyone is bashing him because he's just an EMT. Its actually pretty pathetic how everyone is telling him he shouldnt do it, when if you all got the chance you would probably take it but for noe are not wether its because your too lazy or dont know where to look or mabey your wife wont let you?? Either way he wants to lend a helping hand. Leave him alone.
    You are totally correct - people who do not know what they are talking about should be seen and not heard. So shut up.

I was a medic most likely before you were out of diapers.

If you had a clue (Walmart has a sale on them, you might want to try to buy one) you would know in another thread I comment on how he should never consider himself "Just an EMT".

And I have been at many major incidents, all being there in the chain of command, when sent by proper channels. No self dispatching.

You have no clue about my experience or training, or the experience and training of others that echo the exact same thing that I am saying here.

Thread Information