Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Anyone else start out like this?

So I've been on my volunteer dept. for 6 months, I went the first 5 months and 3 weeks with no fatalities and a few major car accidents. And then this last week I've had 2 fatalities!!! So I was just curious if this happened to anyone else or you can just post the b/s stuff from your first 6 months!

Forum Member

My personal experience has been that it comes in waves. It'll be a quiet few months, a few dumpster fires, nothing brewing, a few majors, them wham-o! We were quiet all through Christmas, surprisingly enough, then after New Year we had fatality accidents, officer involved shootings, and a suicide, on top of a 2 story fully involved house fire. It comes and goes.

Quote Originally Posted by mr0996 View Post
    My personal experience has been that it comes in waves. It'll be a quiet few months, a few dumpster fires, nothing brewing, a few majors, them wham-o! We were quiet all through Christmas, surprisingly enough, then after New Year we had fatality accidents, officer involved shootings, and a suicide, on top of a 2 story fully involved house fire. It comes and goes.
    wow that's about how it is around here except the officer involved in a shooting part and instead of dumpster fires we get corn crib fires lol. I was just wondering because before this department i have no previous experience and my ***'t cheif keeps calling to check up on me to see if I'm taking getting hit with 2 deaths in 1 week okay, which is a good thing I suppose. But I wasn't sure if this is what everyone experiences.

MembersZone Subscriber

Ours seem to come in waves as well. It will be quite around the county for a while, then all of the sudden we get several fires or several serious accidents. Just the way it goes. I've had a streak that I worked a single fatal followed by a double fatal within 12 hours.

Forum Member

we did 4 in 3 seperate incidents in one shift a couple years ago

Everything is in waves, and that is everything to a "T". On our strictly fire department we can go a month without anything and then get 3 in a week. That's just how it goes.

Forum Member

Our major incidents seems to come in three's.

Quote Originally Posted by farmerfire1156 View Post
    Our major incidents seems to come in three's.
    same way for us...everything in 3's

Ah yes... the Law of Threes.

We get calls in threes... about 7 times a day.

But I do concur that it comes in streaks. Ours are just a little shorter than what most have been indicated.
    HAVE PLAN.............WILL TRAVEL

55 Years & Still Rolling hwoods's Avatar
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Wink That Too...............

Quote Originally Posted by PaladinKnight View Post
    Ah yes... the Law of Threes.

We get calls in threes... about 7 times a day.

But I do concur that it comes in streaks. Ours are just a little shorter than what most have been indicated.

Don't forget the "Full Moon" and "Mother's Day" Factors.......

I kinda figure that everybody knows about the Full Moon's effect on things, so I'll pass on that. The Mother's Day I refer to is a Nickname for the day that the Public Assistance Checks are distributed, usually the First of the Month. (I'd have said Welfare Checks, but I wanted to be Politically Correct..... ) When Mother's Day comes on a Friday or Saturday, things are busier than usual, both Fire and Police.......
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Quote Originally Posted by hwoods View Post

I kinda figure that everybody knows about the Full Moon's effect on things, so I'll pass on that. The Mother's Day I refer to is a Nickname for the day that the Public Assistance Checks are distributed, usually the First of the Month. (I'd have said Welfare Checks, but I wanted to be Politically Correct..... ) When Mother's Day comes on a Friday or Saturday, things are busier than usual, both Fire and Police.......
    I call that Uncle Sugar. Uncle Sam gives them some sugar = "Uncle Sugar"
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

MembersZone Subscriber

All calls occur randomly... all at the same time.
    Dave
    Middlesex Hose Co.
    Middlesex NY

dharrington@middlesexny.org

http://www.middlesexfire.org

My first year was kinda slow. A couple extrications and i think 1 house fire. My 4th and 5th year was very busy. We had 4 or 5 fatals, multiple house fires and just some big events. I spent my 22nd b-day at a triple fatal MVA on our highway during that time.....
    Stay safe!

Quote Originally Posted by Ambrose33 View Post
    My first year was kinda slow. A couple extrications and i think 1 house fire. My 4th and 5th year was very busy. We had 4 or 5 fatals, multiple house fires and just some big events. I spent my 22nd b-day at a triple fatal MVA on our highway during that time.....
    Not a very good birthday! Judging by the start of these year it can't get much worse, first 2 weeks: house fire 0 fatalities, single car accident 1 fatality, full arrest unable to bring back. This is relatively serious stuff compared to the last 4 months of last year (I got on in August) had 4 MVA mostly minor but 1 was van vrs motorcycle with amazingly 0 fatalities! Had a barn fire, outlet fire, and a couple mutual aides.

Quote Originally Posted by FireEMT712 View Post
    Not a very good birthday! Judging by the start of these year it can't get much worse, first 2 weeks: house fire 0 fatalities, single car accident 1 fatality, full arrest unable to bring back. This is relatively serious stuff compared to the last 4 months of last year (I got on in August) had 4 MVA mostly minor but 1 was van vrs motorcycle with amazingly 0 fatalities! Had a barn fire, outlet fire, and a couple mutual aides.
    It all depends on where you work too also. Some small towns get one major incident a year and some towns you just described their daily routine! Always remember if you get a bad call it isn't bad to talk to someone about it. Critical Incident Stress Debriefings has become widely used in my area. Luckily my mom is on the CISD team and I've had to sit down with her and talk about some of the rough **** I've seen.
    Stay safe!

Quote Originally Posted by Ambrose33 View Post
    It all depends on where you work too also. Some small towns get one major incident a year and some towns you just described their daily routine! Always remember if you get a bad call it isn't bad to talk to someone about it. Critical Incident Stress Debriefings has become widely used in my area. Luckily my mom is on the CISD team and I've had to sit down with her and talk about some of the rough **** I've seen.
    Yeah I was asked if I needed a CISD after the single vehicle fatality call especially since I made the call not to work the pt based of SOP of traumatic injuries. But it didn't bother me too much, if it were a child or a whole family it would have definately messed with me.

Forum Member

im in my medic internship and i had a night of 2 full arrests that we were able to bring back..so that was very cool. different side of the spectrum

I've had a very simlar first 6 months! It is what it is, all we can do is take what happens, do our best, and go home to our families thanking God we're still alive!

Forum Member

I am going through the same exact thing right now. I moved to a small, small, small town and joined the volunteer dept here. In the 6 week period it took me to get my pager i coulda sworn this was gonna be busy. but as soon as i became an official trainee, nada. we have had, i think, a total of 8 calls in the last 5 months. I did catch my first structure fire though, and happened to be first in... a big oh sh*t factor kicked in when i pulled up at scene lol.

Quote Originally Posted by ffmurch7 View Post
    I am going through the same exact thing right now. I moved to a small, small, small town and joined the volunteer dept here. In the 6 week period it took me to get my pager i coulda sworn this was gonna be busy. but as soon as i became an official trainee, nada. we have had, i think, a total of 8 calls in the last 5 months. I did catch my first structure fire though, and happened to be first in... a big oh sh*t factor kicked in when i pulled up at scene lol.
    8 calls in 5 months!!!! Kudos to you.....I would jump off a bridge if we were that slow.

And by many standards, our 1500 calls a year is slow, but I wouldnt know what to do if we ran like that. Keep up the good work, I'm sure the town really appreciates what you guys do!
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
    ------------------------------------

Thread Information