Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21
  1. #1
    Forum Member FireEMT712's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Rural IL
    Posts
    203

    Default Anyone else start out like this?

    So I've been on my volunteer dept. for 6 months, I went the first 5 months and 3 weeks with no fatalities and a few major car accidents. And then this last week I've had 2 fatalities!!! So I was just curious if this happened to anyone else or you can just post the b/s stuff from your first 6 months!


  2. #2
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    35

    Default

    My personal experience has been that it comes in waves. It'll be a quiet few months, a few dumpster fires, nothing brewing, a few majors, them wham-o! We were quiet all through Christmas, surprisingly enough, then after New Year we had fatality accidents, officer involved shootings, and a suicide, on top of a 2 story fully involved house fire. It comes and goes.

  3. #3
    Forum Member FireEMT712's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Rural IL
    Posts
    203

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mr0996 View Post
    My personal experience has been that it comes in waves. It'll be a quiet few months, a few dumpster fires, nothing brewing, a few majors, them wham-o! We were quiet all through Christmas, surprisingly enough, then after New Year we had fatality accidents, officer involved shootings, and a suicide, on top of a 2 story fully involved house fire. It comes and goes.
    wow that's about how it is around here except the officer involved in a shooting part and instead of dumpster fires we get corn crib fires lol. I was just wondering because before this department i have no previous experience and my ***'t cheif keeps calling to check up on me to see if I'm taking getting hit with 2 deaths in 1 week okay, which is a good thing I suppose. But I wasn't sure if this is what everyone experiences.

  4. #4
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Lusby, MD
    Posts
    1,033

    Default

    Ours seem to come in waves as well. It will be quite around the county for a while, then all of the sudden we get several fires or several serious accidents. Just the way it goes. I've had a streak that I worked a single fatal followed by a double fatal within 12 hours.

  5. #5
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Jacksonville Fl
    Posts
    507

    Default

    we did 4 in 3 seperate incidents in one shift a couple years ago

  6. #6
    Forum Member CGITCH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Sumner IA
    Posts
    496

    Default

    Everything is in waves, and that is everything to a "T". On our strictly fire department we can go a month without anything and then get 3 in a week. That's just how it goes.

  7. #7
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Way South of the Mason Dixon line
    Posts
    511

    Default

    Our major incidents seems to come in three's.

  8. #8
    Forum Member CGITCH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Sumner IA
    Posts
    496

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by farmerfire1156 View Post
    Our major incidents seems to come in three's.
    same way for us...everything in 3's

  9. #9
    Forum Member PaladinKnight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    2,413

    Default

    Ah yes... the Law of Threes.

    We get calls in threes... about 7 times a day.

    But I do concur that it comes in streaks. Ours are just a little shorter than what most have been indicated.
    HAVE PLAN.............WILL TRAVEL

  10. #10
    55 Years & Still Rolling hwoods's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....
    Posts
    10,739

    Wink That Too...............

    Quote Originally Posted by PaladinKnight View Post
    Ah yes... the Law of Threes.

    We get calls in threes... about 7 times a day.

    But I do concur that it comes in streaks. Ours are just a little shorter than what most have been indicated.

    Don't forget the "Full Moon" and "Mother's Day" Factors.......



    I kinda figure that everybody knows about the Full Moon's effect on things, so I'll pass on that. The Mother's Day I refer to is a Nickname for the day that the Public Assistance Checks are distributed, usually the First of the Month. (I'd have said Welfare Checks, but I wanted to be Politically Correct..... ) When Mother's Day comes on a Friday or Saturday, things are busier than usual, both Fire and Police.......
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

    IACOJ Budget Analyst

    I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

    www.gdvfd18.com

  11. #11
    MembersZone Subscriber Dickey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2000
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    5,111

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hwoods View Post

    I kinda figure that everybody knows about the Full Moon's effect on things, so I'll pass on that. The Mother's Day I refer to is a Nickname for the day that the Public Assistance Checks are distributed, usually the First of the Month. (I'd have said Welfare Checks, but I wanted to be Politically Correct..... ) When Mother's Day comes on a Friday or Saturday, things are busier than usual, both Fire and Police.......
    I call that Uncle Sugar. Uncle Sam gives them some sugar = "Uncle Sugar"
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

    IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

  12. #12
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Middlesex, NY
    Posts
    44

    Default

    All calls occur randomly... all at the same time.
    Dave
    Middlesex Hose Co.
    Middlesex NY

    dharrington@middlesexny.org

    http://www.middlesexfire.org

  13. #13
    Forum Member Ambrose33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Jersey
    Posts
    80

    Default

    My first year was kinda slow. A couple extrications and i think 1 house fire. My 4th and 5th year was very busy. We had 4 or 5 fatals, multiple house fires and just some big events. I spent my 22nd b-day at a triple fatal MVA on our highway during that time.....
    Stay safe!

  14. #14
    Forum Member FireEMT712's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Rural IL
    Posts
    203

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ambrose33 View Post
    My first year was kinda slow. A couple extrications and i think 1 house fire. My 4th and 5th year was very busy. We had 4 or 5 fatals, multiple house fires and just some big events. I spent my 22nd b-day at a triple fatal MVA on our highway during that time.....
    Not a very good birthday! Judging by the start of these year it can't get much worse, first 2 weeks: house fire 0 fatalities, single car accident 1 fatality, full arrest unable to bring back. This is relatively serious stuff compared to the last 4 months of last year (I got on in August) had 4 MVA mostly minor but 1 was van vrs motorcycle with amazingly 0 fatalities! Had a barn fire, outlet fire, and a couple mutual aides.

  15. #15
    Forum Member Ambrose33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Jersey
    Posts
    80

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FireEMT712 View Post
    Not a very good birthday! Judging by the start of these year it can't get much worse, first 2 weeks: house fire 0 fatalities, single car accident 1 fatality, full arrest unable to bring back. This is relatively serious stuff compared to the last 4 months of last year (I got on in August) had 4 MVA mostly minor but 1 was van vrs motorcycle with amazingly 0 fatalities! Had a barn fire, outlet fire, and a couple mutual aides.
    It all depends on where you work too also. Some small towns get one major incident a year and some towns you just described their daily routine! Always remember if you get a bad call it isn't bad to talk to someone about it. Critical Incident Stress Debriefings has become widely used in my area. Luckily my mom is on the CISD team and I've had to sit down with her and talk about some of the rough **** I've seen.
    Stay safe!

  16. #16
    Forum Member FireEMT712's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Rural IL
    Posts
    203

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ambrose33 View Post
    It all depends on where you work too also. Some small towns get one major incident a year and some towns you just described their daily routine! Always remember if you get a bad call it isn't bad to talk to someone about it. Critical Incident Stress Debriefings has become widely used in my area. Luckily my mom is on the CISD team and I've had to sit down with her and talk about some of the rough **** I've seen.
    Yeah I was asked if I needed a CISD after the single vehicle fatality call especially since I made the call not to work the pt based of SOP of traumatic injuries. But it didn't bother me too much, if it were a child or a whole family it would have definately messed with me.

  17. #17
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    55

    Default

    im in my medic internship and i had a night of 2 full arrests that we were able to bring back..so that was very cool. different side of the spectrum

  18. #18
    Forum Member ProbyEMT87's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    78

    Default

    I've had a very simlar first 6 months! It is what it is, all we can do is take what happens, do our best, and go home to our families thanking God we're still alive!

  19. #19
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    5

    Default

    I am going through the same exact thing right now. I moved to a small, small, small town and joined the volunteer dept here. In the 6 week period it took me to get my pager i coulda sworn this was gonna be busy. but as soon as i became an official trainee, nada. we have had, i think, a total of 8 calls in the last 5 months. I did catch my first structure fire though, and happened to be first in... a big oh sh*t factor kicked in when i pulled up at scene lol.

  20. #20
    Forum Member backsteprescue123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    4,318

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ffmurch7 View Post
    I am going through the same exact thing right now. I moved to a small, small, small town and joined the volunteer dept here. In the 6 week period it took me to get my pager i coulda sworn this was gonna be busy. but as soon as i became an official trainee, nada. we have had, i think, a total of 8 calls in the last 5 months. I did catch my first structure fire though, and happened to be first in... a big oh sh*t factor kicked in when i pulled up at scene lol.
    8 calls in 5 months!!!! Kudos to you.....I would jump off a bridge if we were that slow.

    And by many standards, our 1500 calls a year is slow, but I wouldnt know what to do if we ran like that. Keep up the good work, I'm sure the town really appreciates what you guys do!
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
    ------------------------------------

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. A newbie to the service....Where to start and need some advice
    By JDL8728 in forum Probie House: The Place for Newbies
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-12-2008, 08:33 PM
  2. Not sure where to start. Firefighting Tampa
    By Forscythe87 in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 05-04-2007, 08:58 PM
  3. Who got their start as military firefighters?
    By turnout733 in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 08-26-2005, 06:11 AM
  4. Personal Start Pages Launch
    By webteam in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-03-2002, 07:35 PM
  5. Fire Investigation?! Where to start?!
    By sconfire in forum Fire Investigation
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-04-2002, 01:55 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts