Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Company's

Forum Member

Default Company's

I was looking at some Fire Truck company's that some people have posted on here. I saw one about Southern Fire Service are they any good and has anyone purchased from them besides HazFire1. I'm just trying to get a feel for the smaller company's because larger one's such as Peirce Manu, E-One, Smeal, Etc. are out of our price range. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Forum Member

There are some very good ones out there as well as some not so good ones. My favorite has become Toyne, Inc. of Breda, Ia. My judgment might be colored by the fact that we bought one in 2007. Or rather, they built the one we asked them to build. You can look them up at www.toyne.com.

Disclaimer: I am not employed by Toyne or anyone else, nor do I sell anything. I'm not a licensed salesperson anywhere. However, I do occasionally drive for them or some of their dealers.

If a stock model E-One is out of your price range you may want to start asking yourself if you are really ready to be purchasing a new truck.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Forum Member

Farrara has lower priced program trucks, or a good 8-10 year old slightly used truck from up north might be a great option too

Talking

Fouts bros. in Smyrna has a decent low priced line of trucks. Give Travis a call, nice folks.

Forum Member

If you are looking for quality used I would suggest Command Fire Apparatus out of Lancaster County PA.

Chief1ff

Forum Member

I have heard of Fouts & Freedom fire I was not sure how well they are. HazFire1 mentioned southern fire service. I would like to buy from someone in the south eastern states, for a close place for a service center.

Forum Member

Might want to check with Bluegrass Fire Apparatus. They offer mainly ss body, tanks. We purchased a pumper/tanker from them in 08, excellent truck. No complaints so far.
    Deep South Fire is another company. We are in the process of buying an engine from them. Will let you know how that turns out.
    I agree with GT Rider, however E-One works with Classic Fire out of Florida to build their wetside trucks. They offered a truck about 10k less than what E-One could do. But you have to know the differences between the wetside apparatus (exposed tank, not much compartments, etc).

What kind of truck are you looking for? I'm assuming an engine, possibly a tanker. Have you tried for a grant? Are you trying to pay for it all up front or are you looking at a bond type payment? Is there a state bid arrangement that is available to you? Do you know what you want or do you just need a new truck to replace the old one?

If you don't care what kind of pump or chassis you get then there should be some good options out there for you. Have you talked to any of the builders about a demo truck? Something they built and have shown around that they are ready to sell at a discount because of some miles.

Just some thoughts.
    Train like you want to fight.
    www.kvfd.net

As mentioned Toyne in Breda, IA. Large enough of company to provide options, but small enough to provide the service. Definitely check out their website. They have recent deliveries all the way back to 2005. Really gives a good perception of what they offer.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Used Equipment

http://www.bmfallc.com/index3.htm
    Brindly Mountian Fire Apparatus has a large selection of used apparatus near Huntsville, Al. and are nice people to deal with.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LITTLE069 View Post
    I was looking at some Fire Truck company's that some people have posted on here. I saw one about Southern Fire Service are they any good and has anyone purchased from them besides HazFire1. I'm just trying to get a feel for the smaller company's because larger one's such as Peirce Manu, E-One, Smeal, Etc. are out of our price range. Does anyone have any suggestions?
    May not hurt to still give the big guys a call... most of them have a smaller line of rigs the produce...."Cookie Cuttter" trucks if you will, but even with the cookie cutters, I think they will still make some minor modifacations.
    It takes a little intelligence to enjoy humor,satire & wit, but none to be offended by it.

It take more than a new Leather Helmet to make you a good officer

Forum Member

I would advise not going with smaller, mom and pop truck builders that haven't been around long. I would still stick with a bigger name so that you can have a good service background for future needs. Many manufacturers offer a commercial chassis pumper or tanker and those stay under $200k. If you are cash strapped and need a good, functional truck, go that route. Sutphen makes a great commercial chassis truck and it is well priced.
    If you need to stay under $400k, you can get a nice pumper from them that is built on their chassis with their cab. That is a HUGE advantage too many. Many other manufacturers don't make their own cab/chassis so then it is a point the finger game when it comes to warranty work. The Sutphen commercial chassis is fully warrantied by them which is a nice bonus... just one place to deal with if there are issues.

Forum Member

Default Sutphen makes a commercial chassis??????

Quote Originally Posted by 93Cobra View Post
    I would advise not going with smaller, mom and pop truck builders that haven't been around long. I would still stick with a bigger name so that you can have a good service background for future needs. Many manufacturers offer a commercial chassis pumper or tanker and those stay under $200k. If you are cash strapped and need a good, functional truck, go that route. Sutphen makes a great commercial chassis truck and it is well priced.
    If you need to stay under $400k, you can get a nice pumper from them that is built on their chassis with their cab. That is a HUGE advantage too many. Many other manufacturers don't make their own cab/chassis so then it is a point the finger game when it comes to warranty work. The Sutphen commercial chassis is fully warrantied by them which is a nice bonus... just one place to deal with if there are issues.
    When did Sutphen start building their own commercial chassis? I even went to their web site and haven't found any mention about it. And if you are talking about a Freightliner, IH, KW or any other commercial chassis they might build on unless they are dealers for that brand or want to fix a problem at their own cost they cannot do the warranty work on it.

Just joined here this month, have made two posts so far and both pushing Sutphen. Might you be a sales rep for them?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by tomwnh View Post
    When did Sutphen start building their own commercial chassis? I even went to their web site and haven't found any mention about it. And if you are talking about a Freightliner, IH, KW or any other commercial chassis they might build on unless they are dealers for that brand or want to fix a problem at their own cost they cannot do the warranty work on it.

Just joined here this month, have made two posts so far and both pushing Sutphen. Might you be a sales rep for them?
    No - I just spent the last year helping spec a pumper for my department and we had Toyne, Pierce, Smeal and Sutphen all bid this truck. We had chosen Sutphen after we did our research and working with the salesman. We went to the three different Sutphen shops and saw how the trucks were built and the pride they took in building them. Here is a picture of the Sutphen pumper we just had delivered:

Now, back to the question. What I had stated in my last post was that you could go two different ways at Sutphen. You could go the cheaper route and get the commercial chassis (pumper or tanker). This is your International chassis and Sutphen built body. These stay under $200k and are functional trucks. We priced this route out if we decided to go that way. Here is a commercial pumper that they have on their page:

The second choice is to use a regular looking, Sutphen built cab, chassis, frame, body. You can get a nicely built custom pumper built for quite a bit less than $400k.

Last edited by 93Cobra; 02-04-2010 at 06:41 PM.

Forum Member

You can get into a new 2dr commercial cab E-One pumper starting at around $155k. That's for a professionally engineered and built extruded alum body truck. The 2nd and 3rd tier builders aren't going to be putting out a truck that has near as much value. Probably not even any CHEAPER.

You can't come up with $155 better stick to goo quality brand used truck.

Forum Member

Now, back to the question. What I had stated in my last post was that you could go two different ways at Sutphen. You could go the cheaper route and get the commercial chassis (pumper or tanker). This is your International chassis and Sutphen built body. These stay under $200k and are functional trucks. We priced this route out if we decided to go that way. Here is a commercial pumper that they have on their page:
    The cheaper route you are referring to is the commercial chassis? It may be cheaper however there are a lot of depts that cant even consider a custom chassis because it just dont work in their area. I have seen many engines that have a commercial chassis and a custom but the functionability are the same when looking at the body, pump, etc.

Forum Member

Yes, the cheapest route is the commercial chassis with the manufacturer's body on the back of the truck. The expenses start coming in when you don't want that type of truck and you start getting into adding the manufacturer's own chassis and cab.
    The fact that some manufacturers make their own cab's and chassis is a huge thing to me. This is what sets them apart from other manufacturers that buy a Spartan cab/chassis and then throw their own box on the back.

MembersZone Subscriber

The fact that some manufacturers make their own cab's and chassis is a huge thing to me. This is what sets them apart from other manufacturers that buy a Spartan cab/chassis and then throw their own box on the back.
    So this makes their trucks better? Even if they will build on an International or other commercial?
    They may be set apart, in that they're different, but I don't think I'd measure the quality of anyone's product by what they offer, but more on the actual finish products.

I doubt that a custom chassis "just won't work" anywhere. It's just that you either are not yourself or have not convinced the power that be, that it's a priority. Too often FD's make 20 year investments based on what they can sell the taxpayer's today, instead of waiting a little longer to ensure funding for a higher quality, safer and/or more functional unit. I know, we did this for years as well.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RFDACM02 View Post
    So this makes their trucks better? Even if they will build on an International or other commercial?
    They may be set apart, in that they're different, but I don't think I'd measure the quality of anyone's product by what they offer, but more on the actual finish products.

I doubt that a custom chassis "just won't work" anywhere. It's just that you either are not yourself or have not convinced the power that be, that it's a priority. Too often FD's make 20 year investments based on what they can sell the taxpayer's today, instead of waiting a little longer to ensure funding for a higher quality, safer and/or more functional unit. I know, we did this for years as well.
    Yes, I completely agree with you - make sure that you get the truck you need rather than making a sacrifice to get what only you can afford at present.
    I think my point is missed here. My point is this... a commercial chassis (International, etc.) and manufacturer built box is an excellent alternative to a manufacturer built cab/chassis/box. Having all three built and warrantied by the company is what I value the most. The commercial chassis will get people by but at the same time why not just wait until the funding is there for the better cab/chassis/box that will be built at one manufacturer?

Thread Information