Forum Member

Default Methods for improving on handling calls

So I just wanted to post my method for improving awareness on medical calls and see if any of you vets had some other hints and tips.

The biggest thing I do is I think about my calls quite a bit. This doesn't bother me mentally or anything so don't worry about that part of it. I do this so I can critique what I did so i don't do it again the next time.

Any all all hints and tips are welcome, please fill this post up!

MembersZone Subscriber

Don't over think it, you will drive yourself nuts.

Nothing will ever go perfect or "by the book", it's an emergency situation. You adapt and overcome. You will learn tricks of the trade to make life easier too.

The only advice I can give is stop overthinking it. You know when a call doesn't go well, or when you make a mistake, or when something just plain and simple goes to crap. Sure, think of ways to improve it for next time but don't over analyze things.
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Forum Member

Anytime a call is "special" as in we did more take vitals and load someone on the ambulance's stretcher, I like doing a quick 3 up / 3 down. ARR (After Action Review) is what we called it in the Army. Everyone can add their two cents, rank is tossed out the window for a few moments, and we come up with three things that went well and three things to improve on. You can do this informally as you drive back to the station.

Often this is the best way to iron out wrinkles that SOPs don't cover.

Don't dwell on it. Figure out if there is something to improve on and improve that aspect of your service.

Forum Member

i agree with dickey....

just slow down and take your time and think things through and you'll move much faster and recall your treatments alot easier.
    if you focus on moving at lightning speed then you will do just that.. and you'll lose focus on what you are actually supposed to be doing.

Back In Black

Quote Originally Posted by BW21 View Post
    just slow down and take your time and think things through and you'll move much faster and recall your treatments alot easier.
    if you focus on moving at lightning speed then you will do just that.. and you'll lose focus on what you are actually supposed to be doing.
    That is great advice... really!

Concentrate on staying in control. Don't let your heart race away with your brain.

One of the best things that helped me was taking a SCUBA class when I was a teenager. The instructor was very careful about making sure we knew to stay calm and to focus on our breathing should something bad happen underwater.

That followed me into firefighting and wearing a mask and as an EMT and then a nurse.
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Forum Member

Thinking about your calls a little bit is really helpful I also do a 3up/3down after each call.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FireEMT712 View Post
    So I just wanted to post my method for improving awareness on medical calls and see if any of you vets had some other hints and tips.

The biggest thing I do is I think about my calls quite a bit. This doesn't bother me mentally or anything so don't worry about that part of it. I do this so I can critique what I did so i don't do it again the next time.

Do what you were trained to do. It is similar to firefighting, you can't fight the fire until you arrive on the scene. Yes you can do pre-planning but still have to wait until you arrive to get working.

Same thing for EMS, you first have to arrive and make patient contact before you can begin working.

If you sit, in your idled time and think about this or that, you will become a zombie and when you do get a call, you would be useless.

All the anxious stuff will pass when you've been in it for some time.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FireEMT712 View Post

Have an open mind, and don't assume the obvious. Don't get tunnel vision. Stay alert for thing that could hurt you or you crew. Don't be afraid to say something if you feel someone is making a mistake<--- Don't be an *****. Ask the senior EMTs or Medics to review how you did.
    FF/Paramedic

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FiremanLyman View Post
    Anytime a call is "special" as in we did more take vitals and load someone on the ambulance's stretcher, I like doing a quick 3 up / 3 down. ARR (After Action Review) is what we called it in the Army. Everyone can add their two cents, rank is tossed out the window for a few moments, and we come up with three things that went well and three things to improve on. You can do this informally as you drive back to the station.

Often this is the best way to iron out wrinkles that SOPs don't cover.

Don't dwell on it. Figure out if there is something to improve on and improve that aspect of your service.
    I like this.
    IAFF

Forum Member

Don't underestimate the call. Be prepared for the worst until you know better. What sounds like a routine medical aid call may turn into a rescue situation, a violent patient, multiple victims, etc.

Forum Member

Don't get excited. Remember your training. It's easier to remember your training if you're not excited.

It's YOUR job.

It's SOMEONE ELSE'S emergency.

You can't do YOUR job if it becomes YOUR emergency.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by popknot View Post
    Don't get excited. Remember your training. It's easier to remember your training if you're not excited.

It's YOUR job.

It's SOMEONE ELSE'S emergency.

You can't do YOUR job if it becomes YOUR emergency.
    Good advice, I do remain extremely calm on medical scenes because with this small of a town volunteer FD some are certified but still don't do so hot when they step off the truck.

Quote Originally Posted by TNFF319 View Post
    Have an open mind, and don't assume the obvious. Don't get tunnel vision. Stay alert for thing that could hurt you or you crew. Don't be afraid to say something if you feel someone is making a mistake<--- Don't be an *****. Ask the senior EMTs or Medics to review how you did.
    This is about as true as it gets, "Respond to possible car in ditch" actually was a rollover with single fatality from ejection. "Respond to truck vrs phone pole" actually was drunk in ditch driving with boot on a broken right ankle UNDER AGE (loved this call btw)

Quote Originally Posted by CaptOldTimer View Post
    Do what you were trained to do. It is similar to firefighting, you can't fight the fire until you arrive on the scene. Yes you can do pre-planning but still have to wait until you arrive to get working.

Same thing for EMS, you first have to arrive and make patient contact before you can begin working.

If you sit, in your idled time and think about this or that, you will become a zombie and when you do get a call, you would be useless.

All the anxious stuff will pass when you've been in it for some time.
    This is just overall good advice as usual old timer, they tell you to try to preplan but I don't think my preplan has ever matched the incident at hand lol.
    Firefighter/EMT 712
    NREMT
    Gifford Fire And Rescue
    6 month Probie
    Medic Student

Thread Information