Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default No good deed goes unbitten

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,...est=latestnews

I think its worth the bite.

LOS ANGELES ó A firefighter has been hospitalized with severe hand and arm injuries after being bitten by a dog he hoisted from the storm-swollen Los Angeles River in a daring helicopter rescue.

Fire officials say Joe St. Georges was taken Friday to County USC Medical Center after rescuing the German shepherd.

Los Angeles Fire Capt. Steve Ruda says the dog is doing fine and is being checked for rabies.

Officials say at least 50 firefighters responded to the scene, where the dog tried to scramble up the river's steep concrete sides for more than an hour as crews dangled life vests and a float ring from above.

St. Georges finally splashed down from the helicopter, wrestled with the frightened canine and lifted it to safety.

The dog had a collar but its owner is unknown.
    Last edited by nmfire; 01-23-2010 at 03:00 PM.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

"No good deed goes unpunished."

I've quoted that phrase for many, many years.
    rjtoc2

career Fire Captain
    IAFF member
    Native Texan (by way of New Orleans)

***The above post (s) is/are MY opinion and do/does not necessarily reflect the views, positions, or opinions of neither my employer nor my IAFF Local.***

Admit nothing, deny everything, demand proof, and make counter accusations.

A lack of planning on your behalf does NOT create an emergency on my behalf.

When all is said and done, alot more is said than done

MembersZone Subscriber

$2 million helicopter and 50 lives for a friggin' dog. Absolutely ridiculous.
    PROUD, HONORED AND HUMBLED RECIPIENT OF THE PURPLE HYDRANT AWARD - 10/2007.

I concede that the helicopter was probably a little much, but I would have no qualms doing whatever it took to rescue the poor thing. But I'm biased, I love dogs.

I love dogs too and it is huge PR but you gotta draw the line somewhere.

I am wondering how many firefighters were put in danger for the poor thing. I guess I would endure a bite to save a dog but not sure if I would put my guys through it.
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeWendtCFI View Post
    $2 million helicopter and 50 lives for a friggin' dog. Absolutely ridiculous.
    Just from the risk standpoint alone, helicopters in Fire are about as dangerous as making Scaredy-Crow IC of a rippin industrial fire... they can be really useful for wildland and rescue ops, but I don't want one right overhead, especially hovering. Screw that. A dog is NOT worth that level of risk.
    My opinions might coincide with someone of importance's POV... I wouldn't know, since I never bothered to ask. My policy is: "Don't ask, don't care."

IACOJ--West Coast PITA

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by nmfire View Post
    I concede that the helicopter was probably a little much, but I would have no qualms doing whatever it took to rescue the poor thing. But I'm biased, I love dogs.
    I love dogs, too. But not enough to commit 50 fire fighters to it.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by the1141man View Post
    Just from the risk standpoint alone, helicopters in Fire are about as dangerous as making Scaredy-Crow IC of a rippin industrial fire... they can be really useful for wildland and rescue ops, but I don't want one right overhead, especially hovering. Screw that. A dog is NOT worth that level of risk.
    They also cost a couple of thousand dollars an hour to operate.

The helicopter was a bit much.

I've been involved in many animal rescues. I think they are worth doing, as long as safety is provided for.
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Forum Member

I agree that the committment of resources is probably a bit much. But it can be justified by noting that if we don't go get Fido, someone else will, without the proper equipment, knowledge, skills and abilities. Then, we end up there anyway, hopefully in time to save the humans and the critters.
    Leroy140 Fairfield, CT Local 1426

^^ Definitely. Then we end up with a person and a dog needing rescue.

I'm not sure where the figure of "50" firefighters came from. I'm thinking perhaps a few different companies responded and cleared since the scene was moving through the city. If you just look at the NFIRS report and see well 50 people were on this total at some point, I can see that happening. I can't imagine there were 50 firefighters all at once for this. It would make no sense at all.

The helicopter is perfectly safe. This is clear air over the LA river, not a raging wildfire. Perhaps overkill. But safe none the less.
    Last edited by nmfire; 01-23-2010 at 03:00 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Choppers are never perfectly safe. They are all on the way to the scene of the crash. Just a matter of when and where.

I say that having worked considerably in and under many UH-1, UH-60, CH-47. Useful tool but not without considerable "issues" that should be considered.

For a dog? No way.

Default Pr

Having worked and lived in the L.A. area...it was simply PR for the L.A.F.D. I agree it was a bit too much equipment and man power to use to rescue a dog......Like any other fire or rescue scene the press and public love a good pet recovery story. With that said I think they need to reevaluate their response policies...

L.A.F.D.'s rational for this rescue...if they didn't get the dog to safety then someone would have tried to save the dog and have gone in themselves. Then they would have had to rescue them....
    Last edited by JayDudley; 01-23-2010 at 01:44 PM.
    Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley
    Retired Fire
    Background Investigator
    IACOJ-Member
    Lifetime Member CSFA
    IAFF Alumni Member

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by JayDudley View Post
    Having worked and lived in the L.A. area...it was simply PR for the L.A.F.D. I agree it was a bit too much equipment and man power to use to rescue a dog......Like any other fire or rescue scene the press and public love a good pet recovery story. With that said I think they need to reevaluate their response policies...
    I guess one could consider it an excuse for training, as well. Better to practice and lose a dog than lose a human trying to do the real thing.

Default correct

Sorry Catch22...you are correct. They also said it was for training.
    Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley
    Retired Fire
    Background Investigator
    IACOJ-Member
    Lifetime Member CSFA
    IAFF Alumni Member

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by nmfire View Post
    ^^ Definitely. Then we end up with a person and a dog needing rescue.

I'm not sure where the figure of "50" firefighters came from. I'm thinking perhaps a few different companies responded and cleaned since the scene was moving through the city. If you just look at the NFIRS report and see well 50 people were on this total at some point, I can see that happening. I can't imagine there were 50 firefighters all at once for this. It would make no sense at all.

The helicopter is perfectly safe. This is clear air over the LA river, not a raging wildfire. Perhaps overkill. But safe none the less.
    The helicopter costs thousands of dollars an hour to operate. If all they have to do with the thing is pluck a dog out of a drainage ditch, than they don't need the helicopter in the first place.

And, "training" my ***. That is something the PIO thought up after the incident. There is no rational excuse to "train" during a disaster with a $2 million piece of equipment.
    Last edited by GeorgeWendtCFI; 01-23-2010 at 02:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Leroy140 View Post
    I agree that the committment of resources is probably a bit much. But it can be justified by noting that if we don't go get Fido, someone else will, without the proper equipment, knowledge, skills and abilities. Then, we end up there anyway, hopefully in time to save the humans and the critters.
    OH yea, that's a fact.

That's why we rowed a few hundred feet out into our biggest lake for a deer. A four lane state highway runs right along the lake and people were just about driving into each other and off the road rubbernecking.

PD stopped/slowed traffic and we went out and grabbed the damned thing.
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

MembersZone Subscriber

Same reason we respond emergent for dogs on ice... people follow dogs.

Maybe it was a fellow firefighters dog? lol I have no idea why they would waste the helicopter on a dog unless the chopper made its round and was heading back to base and they just happened to see the dog? I guess there's really no justification for it but ♥dogs!
    Firefighter/EMT 712
    NREMT
    Gifford Fire And Rescue
    6 month Probie
    Medic Student

We are talking about the same state that Will Send 5 Strike teams, 4 type 2 Helo's, 3 Hand Crews, 2 Dozers, And a Type 1 Crew to a 50 acre fire. ****ing away money has never been a difficulty for That place.
    As a guy that has worked on Birds before, Chance are dam good that one was sitting on a pad with a whole crew some where within 10 mins. All bored outa there mind and needing a lil H-pay. The 50+ Ground fire men, a lil excessive yes, Espically when the bird could have done it by its self.
    Courage, Being Scared to Death and Saddling Up anyways.

Thread Information