Forum Member

Exclamation DUNS number question

ok i would forst like to say i am in one heck of a mess here and i appreciate everyone helping me.

Commisioner vs. Fire Company

I am trying to figure out our DUNS number....

first question is: Is it possible that the commisioners have there own DUNS number?

I did a search at the site and we came up. My head commish swears that is there number and we need to get our own number.

Forum Member

and also what is a 1199? I am taking the grants class next week but am trying to get a better understanding before i go.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jbrown8988 View Post
    ok i would forst like to say i am in one heck of a mess here and i appreciate everyone helping me.

first question is: Is it possible that the commisioners have there own DUNS number?

I did a search at the site and we came up. My head commish swears that is there number and we need to get our own number.
    Sounds to me like the DUNS number is the departments if I am reading this correctly. When you say "we came up" are you meaning your department?

Forum Member

It says: Durhamville Volunteer Fire Dept

so i am not sure. head commsioner swears it is there number

so if it was the commisioners number how the hell would we apply for one...because that is our name

Forum Member

You can call the D&B folks to clarify your DUNS information: 1-866-705-5711

An 1199A is the government direct deposit form. You will be issued one for payments if you are selected for an award.

Forum Member

thank you i just got the number emailed to me but i will call and figure out this mess.

Is it ok to have 2 different numbers 1 for commisioners and 1 for fire company though???

Forum Member

and also what is a 1199? I am taking the grants class next week but am trying to get a better understanding before i go.
    1199 is basically your Direct Deposit sign up form. This is a form that should have your checking account and routing number; EIN number and claim or payroll ID number; It should include Reference Award Number in red at the top. You will have to carry this to the departments bank and have them verify the your account and routing number, sign the document at the bottom (my bank stamped mine as well) then fax it back to FEMA's Processing Staff (301-998-8699 Attn:Jeff) or you can use the fax# on the document. This is just a way for them to ensure the funds if awarded are going to the correct bank and account.
    Hope this helps!

MembersZone Subscriber

I guess the first question - what is a commissioner in your area?

Is it a county commissioner?

Is your department overseen by a board of commissioners?

Are the commissioners actually part of your department?

I have seen it go a number of ways.

Forum Member

they are elected officials by the fire district. they get the check from the town and pay all the bills associated with accutually running the fire dept..... ins, truck loan, heat, any tools, hose and electric, etc....

so i would say they over see the department

MembersZone Subscriber

That sounds to me - like they are an actual part of the fire company, and would have the same DUNS number as the fire company.

MembersZone Subscriber

As Sly pointed out give them a call and verify the number and who it belongs to. Since it has your department name it would be the department's not the commissioners.

Forum Member

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by LVFD301 View Post
    That sounds to me - like they are an actual part of the fire company, and would have the same DUNS number as the fire company.
    Who is the listed agency on the 501c3 incorporation paperwork?

It sounds like your commissioners are the same as our board of directors. They are the corporate officers and responsible for the business side of running the department , while the Chief & firefighters are the operations side of the business.

Do you and the commissioners have separate bank accounts that funds are deposited into?
    Some places have social halls that are run by the depts board and the funds are separate due to liability issues. What state are you in?

Forum Member

First question for jbrown: are you in NYS?

For the other guys: Here in NYS, the Fire District is run by 5 elected Fire Commissioners. A Fire District (at least in NY) is a political subdivision of the state government. They oversee and run the fire district (BUT they do not have direct tax levying authority - they create their budget and provide the figures to the Town government that they are in, the town gov't. 'tacks' the amount to be raised onto the property tax of the property owners in the fire district. Town collects the tax and then 'hands' it over to the fire district...)

That being said, a Fire District cannot be a 501c designation because they are government, they also cannot have a NYS tax exempt status in NYS (although government IS exempt from all sales tax, etc.)

The Fire Company that is under the fire district are legally considered employees (albeit unpaid) of the fire district. The fire company may have 501c and NYS tax exempt status (some are not) and have seperate funds from sources other than property taxes: 2% foregin insurance funds, fundraisers, rental of building or equipment, etc. (some fire companies own the firehouses and the fire district rents the building to house the apparatus, sometimes the other way around...)

In my case, I write grant requests for the fire district (AFG primarily) and for 'smaller projects' I write requests for the fire company (EnCon, legislative member items, public foundations, etc.) They are actually 2 seperate entities...

Have I muddied the waters even more now?... (if so, my work here is done!)

Forum Member

New york and yes we have seperaye accounts

Thread Information