Thread: Bail-out system

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Bail-out system

Sorry if this has been asked, but I couldn't find it. I used to carry my bail-out system in a bag attached to my pack. Recently, I upgraded to a Crosby hook with a deadman all pre-rigged and moved it to my right pocket on my bunker pants. I really can't decide though if I like all that "wad" of stuff sitting there, kinda different when crawling. What do you'll have, if any, and how do you store it? I'm not even sure I still could use the bag and still have it pre-rigged so my pocket may be my only choice.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by bgfdtower1 View Post
    Sorry if this has been asked, but I couldn't find it. I used to carry my bail-out system in a bag attached to my pack. Recently, I upgraded to a Crosby hook with a deadman all pre-rigged and moved it to my right pocket on my bunker pants. I really can't decide though if I like all that "wad" of stuff sitting there, kinda different when crawling. What do you'll have, if any, and how do you store it? I'm not even sure I still could use the bag and still have it pre-rigged so my pocket may be my only choice.

Try a search, you can find that on the dark bar above the messages.

There are several threads already..

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnee View Post

Wake up on the wrong side of the bed today, eh? You're on a roll man!

Forum Member

More like wakes up on the wrong side of the bed every day of his life.

Forum Member

Here are two pics of what I wear to work, as well as teach with. In my system, I have 40' of FR cordage, CMC Double brake Escape Artist, and a NARS hook rigged to a bailout belt.

It's small, easily deployed, and versatile. I might have posted it before, but here is a video of it in action while drilling:

http://www.rescue2training.com/custom.html?id=4146

Send me an e-mail if you need more specifics. rescue-2@comcast.net
    Attached Images Attached Images   

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by DCFDRescue2 View Post
    Here are two pics of what I wear to work, as well as teach with. In my system, I have 40' of FR cordage, CMC Double brake Escape Artist, and a NARS hook rigged to a bailout belt.

It's small, easily deployed, and versatile. I might have posted it before, but here is a video of it in action while drilling:

I thought DC was getting new turnouts with the built in harness and using the Pretzel system.

Forum Member

Our union safety committee has tested them out and a few guys have pushed very hard to get them, but management has not said anything about whether we will actually get them and has certainly not set a timeline to make it happen.

As it stands, the people that do have some sort of bailout kit have all bought there own.

MembersZone Subscriber

That was a pretty quick deployment.
    Looking at the regular set-up, do you ever have issues with the hook self-deploying?

Looking through some of the other bailout videos, some left a lot to be desired.
    The hoseline bailout took over 20 seconds to get out of the upper portion of the window. That's a lot of time in the superheated gases/smoke/flames you're trying to escape from. On the day after the 5 year anniversary of Black Sunday, it's important to note all members were out the windows and on the ground 5 stories down in 19 seconds. Not knocking the brother since it was training. And I certainly hope no one has to rely on a hoseline through a window to bailout.

We currently have the 2nd base on our right cheek and I've had a chance to try on the lumbar bag but not deploy it, however; what a difference!
    Last edited by ffbam24; 01-24-2010 at 12:43 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

DC, thanks for the reply. I can't watch the video on my phone, but from the pics
    it seems pretty similar to what I have. Like I said earlier I have 50' escape
    rope with the sterling f4 escape descender with the Crosby hook all pre-rigged. Only thing I have that's not NFPA compliant is 4'' prusick I used to extend away from my body. Heck, I'll pay the fine if I use it in real life and get fined! It seems
    to work well in the practice runs I've put it through. How do you like that hook? I
    am not familiar with that type. The only reason I went with the Crosby
    is you supposedly can anchor to anything except stainless steel. Again, yours may be just as
    good, I am just not familiar with it. Stay safe out there brothers!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by giweff View Post
    I thought DC was getting new turnouts with the built in harness and using the Pretzel system.
    My department has issued everyone the Petzl system shortly after FDNY. You have to take 1 refresher a year for deployment and training. I've been very impressed with with system and couldn't imagine not having it on my gear.
    Stay safe!

Forum Member

No offense here, but he was merely suggesting that the OP try a search. I have seen and know that many topics have been introduced in this thread and others on here. It's very simple thing to do.

Why are you cracking down on a member who made a good suggestion to a new fellow???

Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by CaptOldTimer View Post
    No offense here, but he was merely suggesting that the OP try a search. I have seen and know that many topics have been introduced in this thread and others on here. It's very simple thing to do.

Why are you cracking down on a member who made a good suggestion to a new fellow???

Why do you care? That member he was "cracking down" on was me. As I stated at the beginning, I said sorry if this has been asked. He just wasted my time reading his no help answer, as well as wasted his time because he could've been blasting others on other topics. Seemed pretty simple for others to just answer the question, that's all. Stay safe!

MembersZone Subscriber

Why do you care? That member he was "cracking down" on was me. As I stated at the beginning, I said sorry if this has been asked. He just wasted my time reading his no help answer, as well as wasted his time because he could've been blasting others on other topics. Seemed pretty simple for others to just answer the question, that's all. Stay safe!
    I don't see evidence of Jonnee "cracking down" on you, just a suggestion:
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonnee View Post

I did a search using your exact thread title and got 12 different threads. Is your search function not working?

And now you're getting all internet puffy? What gives?
    Last edited by ffbam24; 01-24-2010 at 02:01 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by ffbam24 View Post
    I don't see evidence of Jonnee "cracking down" on you, just a suggestion:
    I did a search using your exact thread title and got 12 different threads. Is your search function not working?

And now you're gettting all internet puffy? What gives?
    I'm not the ones that are all internet puffy. I asked a simple question, some answered. Some chose not to, that's fine.

Forum Member

DC, thanks for the reply. I can't watch the video on my phone, but from the pics
    it seems pretty similar to what I have. Like I said earlier I have 50' escape
    rope with the sterling f4 escape descender with the Crosby hook all pre-rigged. Only thing I have that's not NFPA compliant is 4'' prusick I used to extend away from my body. Heck, I'll pay the fine if I use it in real life and get fined! It seems
    to work well in the practice runs I've put it through. How do you like that hook? I
    am not familiar with that type. The only reason I went with the Crosby
    is you supposedly can anchor to anything except stainless steel. Again, yours may be just as
    good, I am just not familiar with it. Stay safe out there brothers!
    Sounds like a good setup. Remember, NFPA is a manufacturer standard and not a user standard. They have no capacity to fine you for anything; so have no worry about your prussik.

The NARS is a good hook. I like it better than the Crosby because it offers a few extra rigging options, but neither of the hooks are my ideal hook.

FFBAM24: I have had accidental hook deployment a couple of times. I need to sew a bit more velcro on the pouch so I can pack it tighter. I think that will solve my problem. I could probably also pack a bit more cordage in there, but I'm comfortable with the size of my pack as it is now.

Forum Member

All of the above systems are great, and if you can afford it and the harness it requires, I say go for it. Systems like those are hard for me to justify right now becuase with the buildings that I have in my response area (nothing over 2 stories), bailouts can be done with rope and the body slide technique. Obviously that is not the preferred method for high rise or multi-story operations, but it works for me and only takes an anchor and the section of rope.

Just something to think about.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by GTRider245 View Post
    All of the above systems are great, and if you can afford it and the harness it requires, I say go for it. Systems like those are hard for me to justify right now becuase with the buildings that I have in my response area (nothing over 2 stories), bailouts can be done with rope and the body slide technique. Obviously that is not the preferred method for high rise or multi-story operations, but it works for me and only takes an anchor and the section of rope.

Just something to think about.
    I used to use that same system, but I wanted something that would let me use both hands to get out the window. Also, I found the body slide to be complicated alittle with wet gloves. Nothing wrong with it, it works and that's all that matters when you need it.

Forum Member

tower1,

what problems did you or did you not experience while having the rope bag clipped to your pack?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DCFDRescue2 View Post

Not to knock on your training video but, considering the guy was standing up, lined up with the window already and his hand on the hook already. Im not impressed with the 4 seconds of time.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fdny84 View Post
    Not to knock on your training video but, considering the guy was standing up, lined up with the window already and his hand on the hook already. Im not impressed with the 4 seconds of time.
    Those are fair statements of fact of the conditions in the video. Given those conditions, you seem to be saying that it could be done faster. I'd be interested in knowing how, and seeing the video.

If you think it would have been more realistic to start from a crouch and away from the window, I won't argue with you. But, how far should back should I go? Should I get off the engine, pull a line, pretend to get caught in a bad situation and then go?

I guess we both just choose a different start point for our drills. That's what makes the world go around.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FireFuss View Post
    I think thats a pretty stupid statement. From the video the guy obviously knows how to work his bailout equipment. So it's safe to say in a bailout situation, the second he found a window he would be out just as fast. This video was of them training with the kit. We all know how to crawl, and find/take out a window. We do that stuff all the time. So add this training in and the guy gets to a window, takes it out, and bails in no time. Whats the problem?
    I have ro agree with this.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Thread Information