Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default Dozer Questions.

Wrapped up my DOZB class about a year ago now, Still have to do the "trainee" Side of it though. I have came across A few questions. Is there any more Agency owned/operated Rigs, or have they all went to contracts? Are there any more Fire-Fighters for operators?

On a Side note, How long did it take you to get your Taskbooks Finished? And is there any thing you would Add to your rolling Gear for working with the dozer.
    Courage, Being Scared to Death and Saddling Up anyways.

Bushwacker, where abouts are you asking?

almost all the southeastern US use dozers (often with a plow) for initial attack, most are state owned (Maryland are state owned but operated by contractors), In addition the Feds have dozers most everywhere as well.. Here in Florida, the Division of Forestry operates about 250 type 2 Dozers (tractor plows) crewed by 1 or 2 forest rangers (wildland firefighters) we are all red carded as FFT2, most of our operator training comes On the Job, all our firefighting training is provided in a 250 hour academy (S-130, S190, L180, S-131, S-133, I110, IS-200, as well as Firefighter 1 (structural) and haz-mat)
    We generally don't use DOZB here (though 1st dozer on IA is expected to lead the others as they come in)the Feds always seem to use one, it may well be their requirement. Other Southern states I'm not so sure, though many also have a swamper to work with the operator, we generally run solo.
    "If you can't be a good example, the you'll just have to be a terrible warning."

Quote Originally Posted by RangerJake72 View Post
    Bushwacker, where abouts are you asking?

almost all the southeastern US use dozers (often with a plow) for initial attack, most are state owned (Maryland are state owned but operated by contractors), In addition the Feds have dozers most everywhere as well.. Here in Florida, the Division of Forestry operates about 250 type 2 Dozers (tractor plows) crewed by 1 or 2 forest rangers (wildland firefighters) we are all red carded as FFT2, most of our operator training comes On the Job, all our firefighting training is provided in a 250 hour academy (S-130, S190, L180, S-131, S-133, I110, IS-200, as well as Firefighter 1 (structural) and haz-mat)
    We generally don't use DOZB here (though 1st dozer on IA is expected to lead the others as they come in)the Feds always seem to use one, it may well be their requirement. Other Southern states I'm not so sure, though many also have a swamper to work with the operator, we generally run solo.

Sounds like that is more tractor plow orientated. Up here we are Running mostly contract Dozers, (privately owned and operated) And a DOZB to interface with them. I Can't think of 1 Rig that is state or Federally owned through out my Stomping ground. So your operators just kinda jump into the Hot seat? How do you pick them out?

Forum Member

Default Dozers and a little story of what can go wrong

At a fire several years ago at Mount Bufulo in Vic Aust 2 dozers were sent to assist trucks who had gone up a mountain track and were not able to turn around. The dozers cut a turning area for the trucks and high tailed it out leaving the slower dozers behind. The dozers were overcome in the fire with not enough time to bury themselves. The operators were forced to abandon the dozers and bolt down the hill on foot to safety. Dozers were completely destroyed when their large diesel tanks split. Both units were privately owned and contracted to the forestry commission. They were not fully insured as normally even in the most severe roll over situation the tracks and running gear are salvagable. Operators were out of pocket by alot of dollars and I do not know who picked up the tab.
    Disclaimer
    These views are my own and not of either my brigade or any other organisation.

Quote Originally Posted by wombat View Post
    At a fire several years ago at Mount Bufulo in Vic Aust 2 dozers were sent to assist trucks who had gone up a mountain track and were not able to turn around. The dozers cut a turning area for the trucks and high tailed it out leaving the slower dozers behind. The dozers were overcome in the fire with not enough time to bury themselves. The operators were forced to abandon the dozers and bolt down the hill on foot to safety. Dozers were completely destroyed when their large diesel tanks split. Both units were privately owned and contracted to the forestry commission. They were not fully insured as normally even in the most severe roll over situation the tracks and running gear are salvagable. Operators were out of pocket by alot of dollars and I do not know who picked up the tab.
    I hear you on that one. I have been around Dozers, Back-hoes, Cranes, Loaders you name it, I have a background in Dirt work. That sounds like a bad day for every one involved it that.

MembersZone Subscriber ramseycl's Avatar

Wa have some fed dozers around here. Mostly BIA. They come with an operator and transport, we have to supply the DOZB.

We also have a lot of contract dozers.
    "Hard work spotlights the character of people: some turn up their sleeves, some turn up their noses, and some don't turn up at all"

Thread Information