Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default Battle Creek, MI

Does anyone know anything about about the battle creek, mi job.

Forum Member

I visited Battle Creek last week and checked out all of the stations. All the guys were very welcoming and seemed like a good group to work with. All of their appartus is pretty new and very well taken care of by what I saw. The stations are pretty traditional and have a lot of history to them. Two still have poles. Starting pay is somwhere between 14 and 15 dollars an hour which comes to around 38,000 plus a year. They ran a little over 5000 calls last year, which isn't bad for 5 stations. Test coming up if you registered is Feb 3rd and I was told about 700 applicants for possibly 12 -15 positions. That is the current openings they have right now if they chose to fill them all. If you pass the written exam you have a physical agility test you must pass then oral interview with people from HR, Civil Service Board, and the FD. All three scores combine to give you and average score which ranks you on there list. They interview 5 people per each opening, and the four not selected get recycled into the list. You have another oral interview with just BCFD. If you pass that then you have a physcial, and psych test to pass before you get hired. The new list is suppose to be in place by the end of April.
    Last edited by SRT407; 01-25-2010 at 02:35 PM. Reason: typo

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Hiring

I can't find anything about this job on their website. Any ideas?

Forum Member

You had to apply by January 15th for the Test that is Feb 3rd. There isn't much info on the city website.

MembersZone Subscriber

Do you happen to know if they use a CPAT for the physical exam or something else?

Forum Member

They do not use the CPAT. They use a different test that is very similar to the physical agility test used in Grand Rapids FD. If you go to the Grand Rapids FD website you can find a link to view the test online. Hopefully that will give you a better idead of what to expect.

Forum Member

Has anyone received their results from Battle Creek yet? Thanks!

Forum Member

Not yet, I'm anxiously waiting

Forum Member

I spoke to someone within the Fire Department and she stated that if you have not received your letter yet, you probably passed. The ones who did not pass were sent a letter last week. They are a little overwhelmed with sending out all the PASSED packages so it will probably be going out today or early next week. It will have your date for the physical agility test as well. She also said that roughly 300 passed. Good luck to everyone.

MembersZone Subscriber

city's wesite stated that everyone who failed has been informed. It also said that they were busy mailing packets to the 360 that passed.

Forum Member

does any one know what the pay grade for BCFD tops out at?

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Physical Agility

If anyone reading this is scheduled for their physical agility test and is willing to trade times, I really need some help. My appt. is on 4/7 @ 11:45am. Per the Deputy Clerk, they will not allow any times to be rescheduled, but they will allow an even trade between individuals. PM me if you can help. Thank you.

MembersZone Subscriber

Question need help!

I am still looking for someone willing to trade agility test times. Any help is greatly appreciated! I'm willing to guess the City will look favorably on a candidate who is willing to help out another. Thanks!

MembersZone Subscriber

Still looking to trade. Please PM me if you are able to switch times. Thanks!

Forum Member

anyone with an early test on the 8th interested in a trade?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by kiddbizkitt03 View Post
    anyone with an early test on the 8th interested in a trade?
    You can have my 11:45 on 4/7 if you want it.

Forum Member

Did anyone go and take the practice agility tests? I was out there the second day and heard that on the first day roughly 12 out of 60 passed and then I only saw about 6 out of 35 pass yesterday. It was pretty crazy to see that many people fail...some gave up during the dummy drag which is the 3rd event! We will see how many are left after this. They are doing the agility until about April 14 or 15. I also heard you go to a psych. test in Chicago if you pass this step (that was the rumor yesterday, but I never got confirmation). Good luck everyone!

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by 3firefighter View Post
    Did anyone go and take the practice agility tests? I was out there the second day and heard that on the first day roughly 12 out of 60 passed and then I only saw about 6 out of 35 pass yesterday. It was pretty crazy to see that many people fail...some gave up during the dummy drag which is the 3rd event! We will see how many are left after this. They are doing the agility until about April 14 or 15. I also heard you go to a psych. test in Chicago if you pass this step (that was the rumor yesterday, but I never got confirmation). Good luck everyone!
    By the end of the process, candidates who obtain employment will have completed the following:

- written test
    - physical agility
    - oral board (interview)
    - Chief's interview
    - medical exam/drug test
    - 6-7 hour long psychological exam (yes, it is in Chicago)

Also, from previous experience with this physical agility, I would estimate that over 90% pass, so don't expect the numbers to get knocked down much before the interview.

Hope that helps.

Forum Member

Hewart - it sounds like you have been through the process before? I was surprised at how many people did not pass the practice agility. One of the instructors had said that they normal cut out about 50-60% of the people during the agility. Did you go through the psych. test and interviews before?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hewartson47 View Post
    You can have my 11:45 on 4/7 if you want it.
    Thanx, but I would need a date fore the 8th still, just at an earlier time. Thanx againtho

Thread Information