Forum Member

Default Really interested to get into this

My names Jake
    Im 20 yrs old, married, might have a kid on the way not sure yet tho.
    I graduated high school in 07, my dad got me a job at the company he worked for, i worked there for 2 years and they got bought out and i got laid off.
    Iv been in and out of nowhere jobs for the last year, never been fired or quit just laid off everytime something gets going. I tried to get into the Army, that didnt work out because my recruiter was to slow in getting some medical waiver and then they changed there policy at the last minute.
    So im stuck at this point and i want to do something with my life, im tired of trying to find a job day after day and getting nowhere.

Iv been reading up a little bit on what it takes to do this and im very interested.
    What all do i have to do and where do i go? How long does it take? I started now could i find myself in a job within a year or so?
    And based on the little information i gave about my situation is this a good decision for me?

Any information or suggestions you guys have would help me out alot.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by 6lkl6l View Post
    My names Jake
    Im 20 yrs old, married, might have a kid on the way not sure yet tho.
    I graduated high school in 07, my dad got me a job at the company he worked for, i worked there for 2 years and they got bought out and i got laid off.
    Iv been in and out of nowhere jobs for the last year, never been fired or quit just laid off everytime something gets going. I tried to get into the Army, that didnt work out because my recruiter was to slow in getting some medical waiver and then they changed there policy at the last minute.
    So im stuck at this point and i want to do something with my life, im tired of trying to find a job day after day and getting nowhere.

Iv been reading up a little bit on what it takes to do this and im very interested.
    What all do i have to do and where do i go? How long does it take? I started now could i find myself in a job within a year or so?
    And based on the little information i gave about my situation is this a good decision for me?

Any information or suggestions you guys have would help me out alot.
    IMO and I mean no offence by this but if you're looking to get into firefighting just for "job security" or just for a job then I don't recommend it for you.
    Firefighter/EMT
    G.F.P.D.
    PROBIE!!!
    Service, Valor, Honor, Dedication & Modesty

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ProbyEMT87 View Post
    IMO and I mean no offence by this but if you're looking to get into firefighting just for "job security" or just for a job then I don't recommend it for you.

I strongly, STRONGLY disagree with this statement. This is exactly why men get jobs like ours. When I was a pup, my dad worked construction. When he looked at his growing family, his growing responsibilities, he knew, as a man, he had to do something for his family. He joined the fire service. That was thirty-some years ago. He'll be going out soon as a very well respected captain who has given much to his city, his department, his men, but most importantly, to his family.
    Do you really think that all those Irish fellas ( here in San Antonio, a LOT of Germans ) got on the fire departments back in the day because it was some sort of a calling? Rarely, if ever. It was ( is ) a secure job that not everyone could ( can ) or would ( will ) do.
    I get behind anyone with a strong work ethic who wants to provide security for his family and feels like they might have something to contribute to their community through their service. Men act, and firefighting is ( should be ) an action oriented job. I'm not talking about Backdraft/Ladder 49 action. I'm talking about a man being a man and being responsible - THAT kind of taking action. I hope that's what the OP is all about.
    If that's what the OP is about, then I'm behind it. 6lkl6l, if that's what you're about, you should be a fireman. It's the greatest job in the world. You will make your best friends in the fire service. You will see the most awesome things you've ever seen. You will see the most horrible things you've ever seen, the funniest, the most mind boggling, explaination defying... It's fun and terrible and at the end of the day, by simply going to work, you ride in the coolest vehicle on the road .
    Few people are born to do any job. A man becomes a fireman, and a good fireman already had the qualities he needed to begin with. The same qualities that make a good policeman, a good soldier or Marine...
    Firefighters aren't magical. If you think you're a hero, you're likely a fool. You don't "fight what others fear" or "dance with the devil" or any of that other baloney. You go to work, and if you're a man, you do your best, and you do a good job. That's why the Yankee brothers call it "the job". Cuz that's what it is. Once you're in it, yeah, it becomes something else - a life. But that life is the life you make.
    I could rant about this all day... but that "Everyone Loves a Fireman" video that's going around sums up the modern day "firefighter" very well ( heck - I fit that bill at least 50% ), but not a real fireman. Someone who is working in an honorable job for honest, honorable reasons. For his family, his community, for himself...

WHEW!!!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by safdkiltie View Post
    I strongly, STRONGLY disagree with this statement. This is exactly why men get jobs like ours. When I was a pup, my dad worked construction. When he looked at his growing family, his growing responsibilities, he knew, as a man, he had to do something for his family. He joined the fire service. That was thirty-some years ago. He'll be going out soon as a very well respected captain who has given much to his city, his department, his men, but most importantly, to his family.
    Do you really think that all those Irish fellas ( here in San Antonio, a LOT of Germans ) got on the fire departments back in the day because it was some sort of a calling? Rarely, if ever. It was ( is ) a secure job that not everyone could ( can ) or would ( will ) do.
    I get behind anyone with a strong work ethic who wants to provide security for his family and feels like they might have something to contribute to their community through their service. Men act, and firefighting is ( should be ) an action oriented job. I'm not talking about Backdraft/Ladder 49 action. I'm talking about a man being a man and being responsible - THAT kind of taking action. I hope that's what the OP is all about.
    If that's what the OP is about, then I'm behind it. 6lkl6l, if that's what you're about, you should be a fireman. It's the greatest job in the world. You will make your best friends in the fire service. You will see the most awesome things you've ever seen. You will see the most horrible things you've ever seen, the funniest, the most mind boggling, explaination defying... It's fun and terrible and at the end of the day, by simply going to work, you ride in the coolest vehicle on the road .
    Few people are born to do any job. A man becomes a fireman, and a good fireman already had the qualities he needed to begin with. The same qualities that make a good policeman, a good soldier or Marine...
    Firefighters aren't magical. If you think you're a hero, you're likely a fool. You don't "fight what others fear" or "dance with the devil" or any of that other baloney. You go to work, and if you're a man, you do your best, and you do a good job. That's why the Yankee brothers call it "the job". Cuz that's what it is. Once you're in it, yeah, it becomes something else - a life. But that life is the life you make.
    I could rant about this all day... but that "Everyone Loves a Fireman" video that's going around sums up the modern day "firefighter" very well ( heck - I fit that bill at least 50% ), but not a real fireman. Someone who is working in an honorable job for honest, honorable reasons. For his family, his community, for himself...

WHEW!!!

I agree with alot of what you said but. Disagree with you disagreeing. It takes a certain kind of person to do this job. Its not for everyone not even close. I think most if not all people want job security. So that being said you feel almost everyone is right for this job. (Thats the way I read it and know it is not true)

to the OP to get on a paid Career Department can take YEARS. Depending on where your at unless your drivin you may never make it. It is not easy it will cost lots on money and time. Unless your lucky. Being married and having possibly a kid on the way is going to make it harder. But I would use those things to push me to get me this job. There is no other job like this in the world.
    RIP Hela

"You have to do better then your best."
    BUD's instuctor Class 234

"A man who won't die for something is not fit to live."
    Martin Luther King, Jr

Forum Member

a lot of Irish, Germans, and Italians became firemen because they couldn't get other jobs because of extreme prejudice against them. Not some fanciful idea that Irish men were the only ones able and willing to take up the job. pfft, just good old prejudice

Forum Member

Jake, not to run you off, but for people to take you more seriously, write in English.

If you are intelligent, dedicated and a little lucky, you can definitely get hired within a year. When I moved to Texas, and had to go through academy again it took me 13 months from starting my EMT, getting my TCFP cert to landing a job.

Where do you live?

Are you willing to relocate for the best damn job in the world?

Some places like Florida or Ohio, you have as much chance getting hit by a meteorite than landing a job, while places like Texas are hiring firefighters constantly... http://www.tcfp.state.tx.us/employment.asp

Good luck.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by safdkiltie View Post

WHEW!!!
    I can see where you are coming from partially and I respect your opinion. It is perfectly possible that he may get into the fire service just wanting to have a stable job and turn out to be a great firefighter. BUT IMO to be a great firefighter it has to be more than "just a job" to you. Might not be anything more than a job your first day but after a few calls it will either be much much more to you or you will find it is not the job for you.
    Firefighter/EMT
    G.F.P.D.
    PROBIE!!!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tipys View Post
    I think most if not all people want job security. So that being said you feel almost everyone is right for this job. (Thats the way I read it and know it is not true)
    Not because they're looking for job security but, as implicit in my post, if they have a strong work ethic and intend to do their best in any pursuit with honorable intentions: those are the best reasons to have a civil service job.
    Yes, to the original post, it can take a good long while to get on. If you strike gold in a big city, you can get it your first try, but even then processing usually takes a year, minimum. Places that expect you to have your certifications before hand, well, you can sort that out for yourself ( fire science degree, EMT certs, etc., etc., etc.,.... ).
    This is the first real hurdle you have to overcome in your decision. Is becoming a fireman important enough to relocate? The best places to get on, in my opinion, are major metro areas that offer civil service exams regularly and that ( obviously ) hire regularly. Again, you gotta have something lined up before hand, because even in big cities, you're looking at a year turnaround, at minimum. It took me more than one try ( a year between exams ) and once I scored high enough, the test was in the summer and the academy class didn't start until near the end of the following spring. And that was the "A" class. So you could say it took me three years.
    Once you get past that you'll find, if you have the drive, that's where the fun starts! Then you can look at the second post on this thread. If you're not having fun in drill school, if the anticipation of getting out there and putting it to use doesn't have you chomping at your bit, then yeah - you're in the wrong place. I think it'd be really hard to know before that, and unfortunately, by that time, you've already screwed somebody else out of a job. So to that end, you probably should make sure you're fairly certain this is what you wanna dedicate yourself to.
    Last edited by safdkiltie; 01-25-2010 at 05:35 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by 6lkl6l View Post
    I tried to get into the Army, that didnt work out because my recruiter was to slow in getting some medical waiver and then they changed there policy at the last minute.
    Not to nitpick, but if you couldn't pass medical for the Army, what's to make you think you'd clear medical review for a career fire department. I know where I live, most departments have pretty stringent medical and physical fitness reviews before one's even appointed and sent off to drill school. Perhaps where you are that's less of a concern, but it's probably worth asking are you medically and physically fit to serve as a firefighter?

Forum Member

This is not a paycheck. It's a lifestyle. If this seems like a secure paycheck, do something else.

You're not born with this volition. You discover it. Sounds like you might have the bug.

My suggestion: Decide that this lifestyle is for you. Then proceed in an orderly manner and don't stop for anything until you have the job you want.

Try riding along a 24 hour shift w/ your local FD. Get some hands on experience, at least familiarize yourself with what it is we do.

Good Luck. Work on your writing skills. This isn't a blue collar job.

Forum Member

This is a blue collar job. It's like any other skilled blue collar job. "Blue collar" isn't an insult. We clean toilets and get puked on.

And you meant "vocation".
    Logic and proportion have fallen sloppy dead.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by johnny46 View Post
    This is a blue collar job. It's like any other skilled blue collar job. "Blue collar" isn't an insult. We clean toilets and get puked on.

I tend to disagree with you on the job description Johnny. I always did view it as a "profession or calling" rather than blue collar or vocation. Just my opinion of course.

Forum Member

Yeah this post is garbage and no he didn't mean vocation check the dictionary my friend. If firefighting is a blue collar job to you than I am glad I do not serve with you.
    Firefighter/EMT
    G.F.P.D.
    PROBIE!!!

MembersZone Subscriber

You are correct.

As good a def. as any http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White-collar_worker

"Blue collar" is not an insult. Assuming you EARN your wages you're an essential part of our economy and your community.

Forum Member

Yeah this post is garbage and no he didn't mean vocation check the dictionary my friend. If firefighting is a blue collar job to you than I am glad I do not serve with you.
    Hey retard......firefighting is absolutely classified as a BLUE collar job. It is no grand profession that you are born for. It consists of ordinary men who with each other's help and dedication, along with some help from God, who are occassionally able to pull off some extraordinary events. The rest if the time it's grunt work and a bunch of BS.

You are a self proclamied rookie and look to be more proud of your EMT status than being a firefighter. You probably have far less time fighting fires than you do making these ridiculously stupid posts - your training fire doesn't count.

Shut your pie hole and quit thinking your riding on Fighting 17 or Ladder 49. None of us are, and you ain't neither. And for God's sake, everytime your buddy runs to the store, quit saying "you go, we go".

To the original poster, as long as you are not a complete F' up in the Army, you will make a fine firefighter. My advice is to research departments, look at salary, benefits, retirement, the amount of action they see and balance all together with what you think you will enjoy and what you think will be best you you and your family. Although it is a blue collar job, it is one that will pay your bills and allow you to take care of your family and along the way you will see stuff that you could never imagine - sad, funny, heroic, stupid; while making lifelong bonds with some of your co-workers. It is truely the best job in the world and once you experience it, you won't want to do anything else.

By the way.....I'd let you drive for me any day Capt. Johnny!!!
    Last edited by MemphisE34a; 01-26-2010 at 11:25 AM.
    RK
    cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MemphisE34a View Post
    Hey retard......firefighting is absolutely classified as a BLUE collar job. It is no grand profession that you are born for. It consists of ordinary men who with each other's help and dedication, along with some help from God, who are occassionally able to pull off some extraordinary events. The rest if the time it's grunt work and a bunch of BS.

You are a self proclamied rookie and look to be more proud of your EMT status than being a firefighter. You probably have far less time fighting fires than you do making these ridiculously stupid posts - your training fire doesn't count.

Shut your pie hole and quit thinking your riding on Fighting 17 or Ladder 49. None of us are, and you ain't neither. And for God's sake, everytime your buddy runs to the store, quit saying "you go, we go".

To the original poster, as long as you are not a complete F' up in the Army, you will make a fine firefighter. My advice is to research departments, look at salary, benefits, retirement, the amount of action they see and balance all together with what you think you will enjoy and what you think will be best you you and your family. Although it is a blue collar job, it is one that will pay your bills and allow you to take care of your family and along the way you will see stuff that you could never imagine - sad, funny, heroic, stupid; while making lifelong bonds with some of your co-workers. It is truely the best job in the world and once you experience it, you won't want to do anything else.

By the way.....I'd let you drive for me any day Johnny!!!
    + 10!

Although I wear a white shirt and a gold badge... after a fire, the collar isn't blue... it's black.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

By the way.....I'd let you drive for me any day Johnny!!!

Very well put LT.

^5
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

SORRY!!! Sorry, I just feel it should be more than just a job.
    Firefighter/EMT
    G.F.P.D.
    PROBIE!!!

Forum Member

SORRY!!! Sorry, I just feel it should be more than just a job.

It is junior, but it is not my life. Yeah I love it but, most fireman have other interest in their lives. Family, kids just to mention.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

Yeah this post is garbage and no he didn't mean vocation check the dictionary my friend.
    Volition is intentional act. Vocation is a calling. He meant vocation.

If firefighting is a blue collar job to you than I am glad I do not serve with you.
    And I'm glad I'm not an elitist **** who thinks being blue collar is shameful.

Forum Member

SORRY!!! Sorry, I promise I will talk and post less and try to LEARN more from the older, wiser more experienced fireman who can and will help me learn and look good or who can and will make me look completely STUPID.
    Now your talkin!!
    RK
    cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptOldTimer View Post
    It is junior, but it is not my life. Yeah I love it but, most fireman have other interest in their lives. Family, kids just to mention.
    Of course the department can't be your life, I have 2 boys myself 1 is 2 and the other is 3 months. What I meant by lifestyle is that especially as a volunteer there are preperations made with everyday stuff. I never know when that pager is going off some I'm always ready. Not to mention the preparations my wife has to make. If I get a late night call she makes sure to tell me she loves me before I get out the door because you never know...
    Volition is intentional act. Vocation is a calling. He meant vocation.

And I'm glad I'm not an elitist **** who thinks being blue collar is shameful.
    This was a little excessive because I never said a blue collar is shameful... But I respect all opinions of me and my opinions!
    Firefighter/EMT
    G.F.P.D.
    PROBIE!!!

Forum Member

Now your talkin!!
    LOL I love the editing of my quote "smack da probie" I will go back to being seen not heard now!!
    Firefighter/EMT
    G.F.P.D.
    PROBIE!!!

Forum Member

By the way.....I'd let you drive for me any day Capt. Johnny!!!
    Don't make me cry.

Forum Member

Seriously, I am getting tired of whackers stating this is a job you need to be "born" for. It is not some sort of birth right or divine intervention from God. These are the same yahoo's that wear the I fight What You Fear t-shirts. Give me a break. Not only are you an embarrassment to yourself, but you are an embarrassment to the fire service. Turn off Backdraft and throw away Ladder 49.

It is a great job that has decent pay, decent benefits, a great retirement, and you get the satisfaction of helping people. On the other hand, you work long hours, holiday's, spend lots of time away from your family, and probably will die soon after you retire from cancer.

See, you need to find a medium point in your life. You cannot let your job consume you. Because after all, it's a job. Your family should come first.

With all this said, would I trade it for anything other job in the world? Nope.

Thread Information