Forum Member

Default Calling Hiring Officials

Hey all,

I've been reading a lot of these threads about how to best apply and secure a job as a wildland firefighter. I notice a lot of these stress the importance of calling local fire units and building rapport so your name stands out. I have tried to take this advice, but am unclear on exactly who I am suppose to be calling. Do I call the local USFS stations, or the local offices of BLM and other agenices that I've applied to? Or do I just call local fire departments? I have applied to a bunch through USFS and USAjobs.gov and have been referred as eligible to those locations, but from what I read that doesn't really mean anything. If anyone could give some pointers on how to find who to call that would be great.

Thanks!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ygarrard View Post
    Hey all,

I've been reading a lot of these threads about how to best apply and secure a job as a wildland firefighter. I notice a lot of these stress the importance of calling local fire units and building rapport so your name stands out. I have tried to take this advice, but am unclear on exactly who I am suppose to be calling. Do I call the local USFS stations, or the local offices of BLM and other agenices that I've applied to? Or do I just call local fire departments? I have applied to a bunch through USFS and USAjobs.gov and have been referred as eligible to those locations, but from what I read that doesn't really mean anything. If anyone could give some pointers on how to find who to call that would be great.

Thanks!
    You call those offices you applied to. If you applied to the Angeles NF, you call the fire office of the ANF, or if you specified a district, you call that district fire office. If unsure of the proper title to ask for, you could try asking for the person hiring fire crews.

Why would you call the local fire dept if you want a job with Feds? That is like calling the post office to see where the UPS man is. Different agencies.

Let your fingers do the walking... search the agency websites, get phone #'s to where you want, and dial. If you can get to the front desk, you can probably get connected to the right office if you know you ask to speak to someone about getting hired on in fire.
    IACOJ
    Stopping controlled burning DOES NOT stop the burning, only the control!
    http://www.wy.blm.gov/fireuse/fums.htm

Thread Information