Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Obama

Forum Member

Default Obama

I heard that the speech that Obama is giving tomorrow is possible going to Freeze Grant money through FEMA, has anyone else heard this or is this just talk?

I wouldn't doubt it, the guy just doesn't get it.

MembersZone Subscriber

Saw something about freezing some of the domestic spending, not sure if that included grant funding as well.

Forum Member

I heard the same thing, but DHS doesn't get frozen.

Forum Member

Why not? That would give him more $$$ to push to Acorn, and Haiti, and his other "pet" projects....

I hope it ain't so... but if it is true, it'll be a very interesting mid-term election in November!!! I wonder if the IAFF and other special interest groups will be so quick to trumpet his merits if he does this???
    "If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."

George S. Patton

Forum Member

remember guys, the afg is a gift to the fire service, we have reaped the rewards for close to 10 years...if obama takes the funds and pumps them into the military, im all for it....BUT, if it goes into some of his numbskull policies we should raise hell......

Forum Member

Lets try to leave politics off this forum. Not all of us share your views of Obama or his policies.

Forum Member

I have no problem with Obama, I know that every president is going to have some good & some bad. I know that FEMA has helped for years but if they didn't it would be harder for anyone to get either tools, trucks, etc. I know that a lot of departments rely on FEMA because their city can not fund them to buy this equipment.

Forum Member

ill try, but won't wyoming.....free country you know....if the funds will go to supplying our troops with food and ammo, take the funds.....our department has been blessed by the program along with thousands of others.....

.....we all operated just fine before the afg and will continue to operate just fine after its over....if your department is relying on fema funds to operate, you need to take a few steps back and re-invent your wheel....our equipment today is unbelievable in technology and quality but fires still go out the same way they did 200 years ago....a bunch of grunts putting the wet stuff on the red stuff, our trucks are just bigger and shinier, but a pumps a pump, and if it works, the nozzleman doesnt care what the truck looks like.....

enough with my rant....

by the way....the girl scouts are selling cookies and have a spot on the order form to buy some boxes for the troops, do them a favor and buy a box or two, doesnt sound like much but they LOVE them!! great morale booster....

MembersZone Subscriber WJVaughn's Avatar

Girl Scout cookies always boost my morale.

Forum Member

thin mints = heaven....

MembersZone Subscriber

Caramel Delights on order.......if I'm lucky I may even get to eat 1 before the cookie monsters get to them first.

Quote Originally Posted by wyomedic View Post
    Lets try to leave politics off this forum. Not all of us share your views of Obama or his policies.
    Boy do you have a lot to learn about this forum. Perhaps when you've been here for more than an hour, you'll realize that ain't happening.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Forum Member

Well, I have followed this forum for a few years now. I have gotten alot of valuable information and my depts have been awarded a few grants from this program. Like someone said, we were here before this program, we will still be here after its over. If people start biting the hand that feed it, wether it democrat or republican, I would say this program doesn't have much future. It wouldn't surprise me that some whitehouse staffer is following these posts, then delays awards another week just for spite, every time he reads another thread like this. It has always amazed me how all the conspiracy theorists come out of the woodwork any time we have a democrat in the whitehouse.

It has always amazed me how all the conspiracy theorists come out of the woodwork any time we have a democrat in the whitehouse.
    Yea and none of the liberals and wierdos do that when there's a republican in the white house. Please, you can disagree without being a hypocrite. And the notion that politics will have nothing to do with a massive amount of government money is insane. Whether you like it or not, politics are here to stay.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Forum Member

Well, I have followed this forum for a few years now. I have gotten alot of valuable information and my depts have been awarded a few grants from this program. Like someone said, we were here before this program, we will still be here after its over. If people start biting the hand that feed it, wether it democrat or republican, I would say this program doesn't have much future. It wouldn't surprise me that some whitehouse staffer is following these posts, then delays awards another week just for spite, every time he reads another thread like this. It has always amazed me how all the conspiracy theorists come out of the woodwork any time we have a democrat in the whitehouse.
    you are kidding right?? this isnt high school here, if someone was monitoring this forum (i'm sure its read) and delayed awards because of things written here, 1st - it would be found out, 2nd - they wouldn't have a job anymore....

just my opinion about our current president....i believe the very best presidents have served this great country with military service or there family had a military background....obama has neither and has NO idea what its like to serve and sacrifice....PERIOD....

Quote Originally Posted by STOL3N021 View Post
    I heard that the speech that Obama is giving tomorrow is possible going to Freeze Grant money through FEMA, has anyone else heard this or is this just talk?
    According to the NY Times as quote ditheir arrtvile this morning:

But it would exempt security-related budgets for the Pentagon, foreign aid, the Veterans Administration and homeland security, as well as the entitlement programs that make up the biggest and fastest-growing part of the federal budget: Medicare, Medicaid and Social Security.

I really don't think we have to worry here folks.
    Kurt Bradley
    Public Safety Grants Consultant

"Never Trade Skill for Luck"

Forum Member

Supply and demand, i am not advocating the delay or end of the program, if less people buy the price will come down. Each manufacture can only make so many at a time if they have less to build they will reduce prices to keep the factory running.

I in no way believe that the same number of FD will get the same type and number of trucks but it also wont be a complete stop either. I estimate prices will fall a bit tho. Allowing more to get stuff than would have if no grants were ever set up.

God did i just write something that sounded like scarecrow?

Forum Member

No Obama supporter, but

When politicians talk about "freezing" spending in Washington, they are usually talking about not spending more than they did the year before. They still spend the money, just not as fast.

The National Budget is based on "Level of Service". That is, every year, the budget is supposedly designed to maintain the same level of services as the year before. By default, a 10% spending increase is included "to maintain services". When congress critters talk about budget cuts, 99% of the time, it is a reduction in that automatic increase, not an actual cut. Money gets shifted around, some programs get more money than others, but the agency budget is almost never "cut". (during the 90's, the DoD some real cuts following the Cold War)

My State, Idaho, uses Zero Base budgeting. Every year, each agency has to justify all their programs and all their dollars. It is assumed they will get the same amount as the year before, but they don't get an increase unless they can justify it. Our State Constitution mandates a balanced budget every year. When revenues are down, heavy cuts get made.

I would think conservatives would be praising President Obama for proposing a freeze on non-discretionary funding for programs like parks, air traffic control, education, and especially farm subsidies.

It should be interesting to watch conservatives oppose efforts to shrink government after listening to their blathering about big government and nanny statehood the last twenty years.
    Politics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."

Thread Information