Forum Member

Default Question about perceived services

What are some perceived services of the fire department? I know the basics such as fire calls, MVAs, medical calls.

I am working on a paper for school and couldn't come up with anymore besides the basics. I found everything else I needed for the paper except for that.

Thank you for any help you can offer.

Forum Member

Any possible problem you could think of, somebody has already called the fire department to fix. When you call 911 and the dispatchers cant really figure out whats going on, you get the fire department. When you call your local government with a problem and they cant figure out whats going on, they call the fire department. We end up being the end all, be all, fail safe for the world.

Forum Member

Pumping out flooded Basements
    Lighting up fields for school/community events
    Down trees
    Cat in the tree
    Kid locked in the car
    Building collapse
    the list is endless!
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

MembersZone Subscriber

Like Send in the Hook said, we are the ones that they call when it does not fit into one of the nice blocks on the form.

When everyone else says they can't do it, we do.

Forum Member

Loaded question, but I'll give it a shot....

If you mean "perceived" by what the Firefighters think their services are, it will revolve around those things that protect life and property. Fire, EMS, MVA, tech rescue, code enforcement, fire suppression, fire inspections, preplanning, fire prevention, installing infant car seats, etc.

If you mean "perceived" by what the Mayor's Office think their services are, it will involve fires (and EMS in some places), and then a bunch of misconceptions about card games, checkers, television watching, grievance filing, and plotting how to get more money from the municipality.

If you mean "perceived" by what John & Jane Public think their services are, they really don't care who we are, what we are, what color apparatus we have, the color of our PPE, or whether or not we get a paycheck for what we do or not. All they care about is that when they do something less than smart, they can pick-up any telephone, dial 911, and if it doesn't require a handgun to fix, the Fire Department will be there to take care of the problem.
    "If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."

George S. Patton

Forum Member

Talking

Gas leaks,hydrant testing/maintenance,apparatus hygeine engineer(wash trucks),hurricane evacuation assistance,missing persons, and last but not least clinically insane !

MembersZone Subscriber

My personal favorite (maybe it's b/c of so much experience) is Ducklings in the sewer!! And remember, when doing those "odd" things, always take picture's to prove that you are not a total idiot/liar.
    A Fire Chief has ONLY 1 JOB and that's to take care of his fireman. EVERYTHING else falls under this.

Forum Member

I know its a tough question. I like its more about the public more because its a paper on public relations. This was the only part I had trouble with since google was helping. Now that I gotten examples I am thinking of things also. So thank you very much

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by no1metfan View Post
    What are some perceived services of the fire department? I know the basics such as fire calls, MVAs, medical calls.

I am working on a paper for school and couldn't come up with anymore besides the basics. I found everything else I needed for the paper except for that.

Thank you for any help you can offer.
    I would think this question, about the "perceived services" we provide, should be asked to the general public, not firefighters.
    If you want to know what the services we actually provide, them I know you will find what you are looking for here.

Forum Member

When I worked at dispatch, someone called me about a cat in a tree. Having participated in one such rescue once before (the first and last time our dept ever did it), I explained how it went. First the cat ran further up in the tree because it didn't want to be rescued. Then when the poor guy grabbed the cat, it proceeded to maul him, jumped out of his hands to the ground from up in the tree, and ran away into the woods for 2 days. Came home eventually just fine. So no, we're gonna come get the stray cat out of the tree. It will come down when its good and ready. Have a nice day.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Thread Information