1. #1
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Flanders, NJ
    Posts
    13,537

    Default Pres. Obama Question

    I'd rather be a really good one-term president than a mediocre two-term president.
    Wouldn't it stand to reason if you were a "...really good one-term president..." winning a second term would be relatively simple?
    PROUD, HONORED AND HUMBLED RECIPIENT OF THE PURPLE HYDRANT AWARD - 10/2007.

  2. #2
    Forum Member
    nmfire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Maryland (DC Suburb)
    Posts
    5,738

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeWendtCFI View Post
    Wouldn't it stand to reason if you were a "...really good one-term president..." winning a second term would be relatively simple?
    There you go again, throwing logic out there like anyone will comprehend it.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

  3. #3
    Forum Member
    FFWALT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Nebraska
    Posts
    368

    Default

    This is simple logic to anyone outside of the beltway. If you do a good job people will want you to keep doing it.

    This is probably a cynical way to look at the statement but it sounds like he's still saying what he's going to do instead of doing it.
    Train like you want to fight.
    www.kvfd.net

  4. #4
    Forum Member
    len1582's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    N.J.
    Posts
    1,392

    Default

    So when is he going to start being a good president? When he increases Social Security for the older people who built this country and paid taxes all their life instead of increasing foreign aid?

  5. #5
    Forum Member
    CaptOldTimer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 1999
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    7,273

    Default

    The only change I've seen, is the change in my right front trouser pocket, where once was folding money!


    We thought Jimmy Carter was bad, Obama has him beat!
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

    Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

  6. #6
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    2,970

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeWendtCFI View Post
    Wouldn't it stand to reason if you were a "...really good one-term president..." winning a second term would be relatively simple?
    Sure, but is being a "really good" President the same thing as being a "really popular" President?

    Is it possible to do a "good" job by doing what needs to be done, even if it's not the "popular" thing to do?

    To be clear, I'm not referring to anything that he specifically has or has not done. Just talking in general terms.

  7. #7
    Forum Member
    len1582's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    N.J.
    Posts
    1,392

    Default

    Someone can also be "really popular" by being "really good".

  8. #8
    Forum Member
    DaSharkie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Posts
    4,713

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nmfire View Post
    There you go again, throwing logic out there like anyone will comprehend it.
    Well, this is the same President who has all of his lackeys saying that those of us here in Massachusetts who electede Scott Brown REALLY did support his health care "reform" plan. We REALLY did vote in favor of President Obama's plans.

    Makes you wonder what the hell they are serving down in the White House mess.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

    The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

    "No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

    "As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

    www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

  9. #9
    Forum Member
    nmfire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Maryland (DC Suburb)
    Posts
    5,738

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DaSharkie View Post
    Makes you wonder what the hell they are serving down in the White House mess.
    Brownies laced with LSD. Can't think of anything else.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

  10. #10
    Banned

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    8,677

    Default

    What is fun to watch is the change in direction and policy. Makes you think this fellow has no clue about what he is doing. All of a sudden, we don't need health care expansion. Suddenly we need jobs. Three more years.

  11. #11
    Forum Member
    DaSharkie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Posts
    4,713

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nmfire View Post
    Brownies laced with LSD. Can't think of anything else.
    Gotta be something like that. The stuff coming out of the White House is really freaking wacky. The past week has seen so much back pedaling and complete reversals in positions. So fun to watch.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

    The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

    "No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

    "As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

    www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

  12. #12
    Forum Member
    EastKyFF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Nippa, KY
    Posts
    3,150

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nmfire View Post
    Brownies laced with LSD. Can't think of anything else.
    Might be cookies laced with LSD.
    I am more than just a serious basketball fan. I am a life-long addict. I was addicted from birth, in fact, because I was born in Kentucky.
    ― Hunter S. Thompson

  13. #13
    Forum Member
    scfire86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    HB
    Posts
    10,330

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DaSharkie View Post
    Gotta be something like that. The stuff coming out of the White House is really freaking wacky. The past week has seen so much back pedaling and complete reversals in positions. So fun to watch.
    Given that one of the proposals is a spending freeze on spending, I would think you would be applauding.

    After all, it's the message you claim was sent by MA voters last week.
    Politics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."

  14. #14
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    2,439

    Default

    I could see how a president can be a "great" president, and not win reelection. I can also see how a president can be a "bad" president and get a second term.

    Presidents, independent of being popular or unpopular, will be judged by history. The jury is still out to see if Bush Jr. was a bad or a good president. I think that even Clinton's presidency might still have some wiggle room.

    Once popular opinion gives way to the long term effects of the actions of a president, then he or she can be judged.

    I am by no means arguing that 20 years form now people will look at Obama and say "He was great".
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin

  15. #15
    Banned

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    8,677

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scfire86 View Post
    Given that one of the proposals is a spending freeze on spending, I would think you would be applauding.

    After all, it's the message you claim was sent by MA voters last week.
    It's too little too late. How about canceling the rest of the Stimulus money?

  16. #16
    Forum Member
    DaSharkie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Posts
    4,713

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scfire86 View Post
    Given that one of the proposals is a spending freeze on spending, I would think you would be applauding.

    After all, it's the message you claim was sent by MA voters last week.
    Then why is the budget that is being proposed this year movre than a trillion in deficit spending?

    I am happy that he would do this. And it has to start somewhere - but if Congress is not on board, then it all just window dressing. Of course when last year's budget was $1.4 trillion in the red he had no problem with it. It just does not make sense to me.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

    The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

    "No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

    "As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

    www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

  17. #17
    Forum Member
    EastKyFF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Nippa, KY
    Posts
    3,150

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scfire86 View Post
    Given that one of the proposals is a spending freeze on spending, I would think you would be applauding.

    After all, it's the message you claim was sent by MA voters last week.
    You stole my thunder, Sharkie. This spending freeze is akin to eating a triple bacon cheeseburger with extra mayo, then feeling bad and drinking a Diet Coke.

    The cows are out, Mr. President. Not much help to snag that one little calf.
    I am more than just a serious basketball fan. I am a life-long addict. I was addicted from birth, in fact, because I was born in Kentucky.
    ― Hunter S. Thompson

  18. #18
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Flanders, NJ
    Posts
    13,537

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scfire86 View Post
    Given that one of the proposals is a spending freeze on spending, I would think you would be applauding.

    After all, it's the message you claim was sent by MA voters last week.
    I'll applaud as soon as I see it happen. I will not be holding my breath.
    PROUD, HONORED AND HUMBLED RECIPIENT OF THE PURPLE HYDRANT AWARD - 10/2007.

  19. #19
    Forum Member
    Lewiston2FF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2000
    Location
    Niagara Falls, NY, USA
    Posts
    1,924

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nmfire View Post
    Brownies laced with LSD. Can't think of anything else.
    That term is no longer allowed as it would seem to denote a racist attitude. They are now to be referred to as baked chocolate fudge confection bars laced with LSD.
    Shawn M. Cecula
    Firefighter
    IACOJ Division of Fire and EMS

  20. #20
    Forum Member
    FFWALT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Nebraska
    Posts
    368

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lewiston2Capt View Post
    That term is no longer allowed as it would seem to denote a racist attitude. They are now to be referred to as baked chocolate fudge confection bars laced with LSD.
    You are only partially correct. The full description would be baked chocolate fudge confection bars with an ingredient that provides an alternate reality.

    Stating that they use LSD would not be politically correct because it insinuates that the political staff use drugs. This would mean that they are not law abiding citizens. Which could potentially lead to a lot of stereo types and hurt feelings. Remember, if someone could image their feelings getting hurt, no matter how accurate the statement, it is politically incorrect.
    Train like you want to fight.
    www.kvfd.net

  21. #21
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    2,970

    Default

    I just call them delicious.

  22. #22
    Forum Member
    scfire86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    HB
    Posts
    10,330

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DaSharkie View Post
    Then why is the budget that is being proposed this year movre than a trillion in deficit spending?
    Because repairing the economic meltdown left by his predecessor isn't cheap.

    Quote Originally Posted by DaSharkie View Post
    I am happy that he would do this. And it has to start somewhere - but if Congress is not on board, then it all just window dressing. Of course when last year's budget was $1.4 trillion in the red he had no problem with it. It just does not make sense to me.
    Damned if he does, damned if he doesn't.

    There's no difference with folks like you.
    Politics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."

  23. #23
    Banned

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    8,677

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DaSharkie View Post
    Then why is the budget that is being proposed this year movre than a trillion in deficit spending?

    I am happy that he would do this. And it has to start somewhere - but if Congress is not on board, then it all just window dressing. Of course when last year's budget was $1.4 trillion in the red he had no problem with it. It just does not make sense to me.
    Because it doesn't apply to SS, Military, Welfare Programs, adn other entitlements. It only applies to a small portion of the overall budget.

  24. #24
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Flanders, NJ
    Posts
    13,537

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scfire86 View Post
    Because repairing the economic meltdown left by his predecessor isn't cheap.


    Damned if he does, damned if he doesn't.

    There's no difference with folks like you.
    When does the official "Blame Bush" timeline end?
    PROUD, HONORED AND HUMBLED RECIPIENT OF THE PURPLE HYDRANT AWARD - 10/2007.

  25. #25
    Forum Member
    scfire86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    HB
    Posts
    10,330

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeWendtCFI View Post
    When does the official "Blame Bush" timeline end?
    When the economy is repaired back to the level it was at when Bush took office. Maybe even longer. Creating is always more difficult than destroying.
    Last edited by scfire86; 01-28-2010 at 10:32 AM.
    Politics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Great Idea from the Obama Adminstration
    By ScareCrow57 in forum The Off Duty Forums
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-09-2010, 01:40 AM
  2. Auzzies And Obama
    By MalahatTwo7 in forum News Center
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 01-19-2009, 07:40 PM
  3. Multi Part Rescue-Pumper question
    By mohican in forum Apparatus Innovation
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 08-22-2007, 03:47 PM
  4. This is Sort of a Serious, Sort of Not Quite So Serious Question
    By MalahatTwo7 in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 06-20-2007, 11:39 PM
  5. 100 Hours?
    By ChicagoFF in forum The Off Duty Forums
    Replies: 157
    Last Post: 02-06-2007, 07:50 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Log in

Click here to log in or register