Forum Member

Default Looking for photos

Hi, I'm new to this. However, my son is a Chicago FF and I thought maybe someone out there in FF land could help me. I've visited one of the oldest-in-use firehouses in Chicago and they had some incredible pictures of some of the first apparatus used in Chicao. Actually past to present. I'm looking for photos of old to present fire apparatus that I can download, take to a print shop, and have laser paper printed up with the pictures seen as background to the text. I've finished a dissertation featuring your patient and wonderful wives. I will be presenting my research in late March and want to have a very different and interesting presentation. If you can help me I would appreciate you all even more than I do now (if that's possible).
    Thanks ever so, K

Forum Member

Welcome.

You may want to go to the City web site and then once opened look for City Departments in the top middle of the page.

http://egov.cityofchicago.org/city/webportal/home.do

One you see that click on it and look for Fire Department.

Contact them and see if they can help,

Going to web sites and other photos page site and ripping a photo[s] off my be in violation of the copy write laws and you could end up getting into trouble.

You can also contact firehouseauthor@aol.com and or www.achicagofirehouse.com and maybe Karen could help you.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

Hi, Capt, Thanks for your reply. Actually, I am asking for privately-owned photos, more or less. That's why I asked for "downloadable" photos. I did go to the Chicago city website and clicked on several links as well as the one you suggested. None were very helpful but I really do appreciate your help. When I was in Chicago doing my research my son took me to a firehouse and said, "tell them about your research." I never got the undivided attention of seven men so quickly. It was great! I will see if Karen can help me. Thanks again.

Forum Member

http://www.welcome.to/myersfirephotos

I'm sure if you scroll down to the "Contact Me" and tell him what you want he will work with you.
    Steve Dragon
    FFII, Fire Instructor II, Fire Officer I, Fire Appartus Driver Operator Certified
    Volunteers are never "off duty".
    http://www.bufd7.org

Forum Member

Thanks guys for your help.
    Capt. I did email Karen Kruse and she was more than willing to loan me photos from her book. She said to thank you for mentioning her. She said her fans are the greatest!!
    It's great getting a response from y'all.
    Kim

Forum Member

I don't know if you're looking for photos from a specific geopraphy. But up in the north east us one of our greatest online cataloges of photos is at http://www.firenews.org. I'm sure if you talk to the webmaster there he would be able to get you intouch with some of the photographers that contribute there. Hope this helps.
    ~ Doc

- Happy Public Servant working in the Public Safety Field since 1998

“Live Free Or Die; Death Is Not The Worst of Evils.” ~ General John Stark

Forum Member

Thanks, Doc, I appreciate the suggestion. I will go there. By the way, how much does the total gear weigh when a FF is going into a burning building? I would like to use the information when giving my presentation.
    Thanks, Kim

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kimala View Post
    Thanks, Doc, I appreciate the suggestion. I will go there. By the way, how much does the total gear weigh when a FF is going into a burning building? I would like to use the information when giving my presentation.
    Thanks, Kim

Saw your question.

Not all gear weighs the same. But an good average, 40 - 50 pounds.

Forum Member

So you have a man who weighs anywhere from 160 to 275 lbs, maybe 5'8" to 6'5", add 40 to 50 lbs and y'all have to be in really great shape to work a fire and have your partner's back if you're on the line. One of the complaints I heard from FF wives was that they worried because some of the guys their husbands worked with were overweight or only took the 'pass' physical once a year, i.e. running a certain distance with a 50 lb pack or running farther without the pack. By the way, one of the FFs I know is 6'5" and does weigh at least 275. So what are your thoughts about staying in shape?
    So tell me, are you guys staying in shape and how?
    Kim
    Last edited by Kimala; 02-05-2010 at 12:34 AM.

Forum Member

Hey, did you get all the information that you were requesting??

I use to run everyday but the old knees have worn out so I just do walking now.

The guys in the houses, which all have universal weight machines, work out on the as time permits between a busy schedule.
    Last edited by CaptOldTimer; 02-25-2010 at 02:49 PM.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Thread Information