MembersZone Subscriber

Default Medical exam....

Hey everyone. I am going to be very general with my question because I don’t want to put to many details out here for anyone in the world to see…..

I will be taking a medical exam for a municipal public safety position. I have already gone through the entire process and the last step is my medical exam. It's not a physical agility test, just a medical screening I guess. I was wondering what usually goes on during the medical exams. What do they usually check for and what do you have to do? Not that I have anything to hide, I am just curious as to what goes on. Thanks for any info.
    2009 Warren County Firefighter of the Year

Forum Member

Just had a dandy myself. We had a stress test, chest x-ray, vision and hearing screening, tidal volume test, hernia check, bloodwork, tetanus shot, TB skin test, and a personalized consult with the supervising MD when everything was done. Impressive.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.
    --General James Mattis, USMC

MembersZone Subscriber

Ours is not as comprehensive as EastKY's. I don't remember all of it. We get vision (incl. colorblindness) and hearing tests, EKG, height/weight, and the biggie is urinalysis. Not to mention pages and pages of medical questionnaire - everything from have you had a heart attack to have you had a paper cut?

Some will also swear our doctors also keep a cup of chicken bones on their desk, thrown like a dice - if the bones point in the direction of the academy, you've passed.

So long as you have had no major health issues, you're OK. Even if you have had health issues, so long as they're not something to prevent you from working, you're OK. Remember, these are the city's docs, not yours. They are trying to evaluate you on ability to safely do the job, and your current baseline physical status. That nagging football knee injury? If you tell ours about it, then twist your knee on a job, they'll bring it back up to say that's why your knee hurts, and you're just trying to collect the big money from the city. (Alleged rumor, no first hand experience.)
    Opinions expressed are mine alone, and do not necessarily reflect those of the Philadelphia Fire Department and/or IAFF Local 22.

MembersZone Subscriber

Usually some blood work and a drug test, an x-ray or two, lung volume, hearing test, vision test with color blindness, physical exam, EKG and TB test. There's also a long questionnaire that covers all your medical history and they may do further testing based on their findings. Be completely honest as they are not only doing this for the dept's liability, but for your safety too. Also, if you end up hiding something and it comes to light later on, you'll probably be terminated immediately and coverage/benefits for the injury probably won't be covered.

Forum Member

Just had my annual the other day (same as the preemplyment)

Vision, Hearing, Bloodwork, Pulmonary Function Test, 12 lead EKG, hernia check, range of motion, TB test, etc
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
    ------------------------------------

Forum Member

They're going to find that HotWheels car you put up your butt when you were a kid with an X-Ray. Then they'll laugh at you.
    IAFF

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by snowball View Post
    They're going to find that HotWheels car you put up your butt when you were a kid with an X-Ray. Then they'll laugh at you.
    hehehe....

And the nurse with the largest fingers will fish it out.

Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Forum Member

Smile

[QUOTE=Then they'll laugh at you.[/QUOTE]

Not if it's a collectible.

Forum Member

The hardest thing we have to do is some jumping jacks and then a lung function test. We have to blow and get 2 passing results. It's a Billion times harder than you will ever breathe using a SCBA. Problems turn up if you have any.

Banned

Ever hear of KY Jelly??? P.S. KY doesn't stand for Kentucky.

Forum Member

For ours we had our history checked, 3 doctors providing exams, luckily only 1 prostate check lol, urine, blood analysis, breath test, hearing, vision, TB, echocardiogram(like a sonogram of the heart), then we had to duck walk, hop down the hall and back on one leg, a few other exercises like that. And I drank a lot of water before getting there, and they didn't see me for 3 hours! I had to empty the bladder halfway like 3 times before I got in there! Lol so just make sure that doesn't happen to you.

Thread Information