Forum Member

Smile Fire Explorer Help

I am a FF/EMT at my fire dept. I am also a adviser for a explorer group that is fairly new. I was wondering if anyone knew where I might find some used gear that is still competetion ready? Im looking for boots, gloves, helmets, glove straps, etc...I'll pretty much take anything since our post is growing faster then our inventory. We have alot of females as well and small sized gear is hard to come by. If anyone could help me locate or donate, let me know.

Thanks
    Clint Skelton

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ehswild View Post
    I am a FF/EMT at my fire dept. I am also a adviser for a explorer group that is fairly new. I was wondering if anyone knew where I might find some used gear that is still competetion ready? Im looking for boots, gloves, helmets, glove straps, etc...I'll pretty much take anything since our post is growing faster then our inventory. We have alot of females as well and small sized gear is hard to come by. If anyone could help me locate or donate, let me know.

Thanks
    Clint Skelton

Clint,

Any and old PPE, coats, trousers, boots, gloves, etc., that are removed from service are destroyed by the logistic and supply section of the department.

None is ever given away due to the legally ruling from the city's law department.

Basically, in other words, once we removed it from service, it is no longer useable.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

where are you located? I may be able to help out with alot of old but still good gear unless your wprried about the age.

MembersZone Subscriber

If you have a local college that offers fire science/academy, ask them. Not sure what type of competitions you're doing, but if they don't involve fire exposures, age may not be as important of a concern. But if you will be in an IDLH environment, make sure your gear is all serviceable.

Look into local charities and see if they can donate some gear. Also, see if there's a non-profit assistance company in the area that might help you write a grant to purchase gear.

Forum Member

Their is no fire exposure, but all competitions require full structure gear with zippers, snaps, buttons, etc.. to be in working order. Thank you for your input. I'll see what i can do around here

Forum Member

I have alot of good gear that our dept is about to get rid of,and could be donated if we know where it is going, it has aged out by our standards but is in excellent shape,most are yellow with orange trim and are all smaller sizes-125-185 lb range. my e-mail is darby_jason@yahoo.com if interested.

MembersZone Subscriber

While the explorers are a great function, I would like anyone with gear they are getting rid of to consider donating it to fire departments that have limited amounts gear that is even older than what you are getting rid of.

There are a lot of departments with funding less than 10k a year, that simply don't have enough turnouts. Lot of rural areas where departments are just starting up also.

I have to think that outfitting firefighters is more important than outfitting anyone just so they can be in a competition team.

Thread Information