Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default Picture of your Litter Bridle Setup

Hey everyone,
    I'm in the process of making a new proposal to our team for a new litter bridle setup.
    Tomorrow I'll post a pic of our current setup and a proposed new one.
    I'd be very interested in others' setups and see what you are doing...

Post em up and let's see what's out there....

Mike

Forum Member

I have some of ours, email me jason@jbrescue.com and I will see what I have to send you.
    Jason Brooks
    IAFF Local 2388
    IACOJ

Here's a proposal for a new litter bridle I'm going to present to our department...
    The key change in the picture is that I'm going to swap the 2 carabiners that the spider legs terminate into with delta links so as to avoid improper loading of the biners...

-mike
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Forum Member

Looks like it will work. But, it looks like you have an awful lot of unnecessary hardware in there. You can accomplish the same thing at a lower wieght with less gear.
    Jason Brooks
    IAFF Local 2388
    IACOJ

Evening Jason,
    Thanks for the comment. I guess I felt like I was minimizing gear in this configuration and still accomplishing our requirements for a litter. I'm curious how I could minimize further and still be able to orient the litter vertically and raise back to horizontal as in a mid-face litter scoop, or just to an angle if you needed to load an unconscious victim that was free hanging (ie in a tower scenario).

The spiders will stay attached to the litter at all times and the front spiders easily lay over horizontally for use in steep/low angle operations. The rear spider just gets tucked under the backboard...

Thanks again,
    Mike

Forum Member

First, we tie ours directly into the ring, that would eliminate your attachment hardware. Second, all four of the legs on ours is adjustable in a similar manor to your green ones. This allows a lot of adjustment in the spider. Ours is set up so that we can cinch it down to where the spider ring is almost at the chest of the patient if we need it to be. This allows it when extended to have many options for the horizintal use. Ours is attached with carabiners so we can remove it, if you want to tie it on, that should not matter. We leave a vertical raise ring attached to the top of the basket at all times. I hope this is a little clear.
    Jason Brooks
    IAFF Local 2388
    IACOJ

Great Jason,
    Here are a couple of questions after looking more closely at your photos you sent me along with your description...

1) how does your attendant travel up down their line. do they add an additional prusik on and ascend/descend their attachment line?
    2) I'm unclear as to what you mean by a vertical raise ring? Is that something used in orienting a loaded litter vertically if need be?
    3) does your attendant carry some sort of jigger/sof/aztek to adjust the angle of the litter if needed that is loaded or unloaded?

Thanks again for the good conversation...

Mike

Forum Member

Stick-

What you've currently got going will work fine. But if you want to put some icing on that cake... here you go from the top of your image downward-

-Double long tail bowline instead of inline 8's. Less gain and easier to untie.

-Delete the steel ring. It adds unnecessary gain.

-Consider using the newer AZTEK Elite with built in swivels. You can then delete the carabiner that would otherwise connect it to the double long tail bowline, and get rid of any twisting of the foot-end SOFs.

-Bump your head-end purcells to max short. Only lengthen during use if need be. Otherwise keep your overall gain reduced so as to allow your high directional to be lower and cleaner when transitioning the edge.

Granted, sometimes that might not really be an issue you need to worry about. What does matter is that you understand how to make it cleaner when it is an issue.

All the best with your training,

Eric

Morning Eric,
    Thanks for the excellent suggestions. I would like to do the exact things you mention.

I agree with the long tail bowlines but I don't think we are going to see the use of bowlines in my department even with the compelling benefits...

I'll see how it goes with deleting the steel ring... the problem I see is if using inline 8's I run into a knot that is more of a pain to tie unlike the dltb tied as a snap bowline... We'll see what the guys here think but thanks for that suggestion...

I like the idea of using the Elite but unfortunately we have a total of 7, 1 for each guy and I'd like to be able to utilize some of our single person load rated jiggers we've had for some time and this seemed like a good use there but I do see your point in the twist at the foot end and the potential overall height...

I don't know why the pic has the head-end purcells like that, they are currently max short as you suggest for that very reason... Took some time to get everything the right lengths to hang level but it's done now...

I agree totally in understanding how to make it cleaner, the litter rig you describe is spot on to the one we used at the vortex class in sedona this last year and seemed very well thought out. My attempt is a morph at that using our available equipment and knot base...

Thanks again Eric, I really appreciate the comments.

Mike

Forum Member

Hey Stick,
    Sorry for the delay in the pic post. It sounds like you have already got it figured out for the most part. We use the long tail which works well for us. I think your people will be happy with the setup. It's a great way to rig because you can go vertical or horizontal without any additional gear. If you choose to go with an AZTEK kit for your attendant's attachment, the stokes kit and attendant's kit can become a confusing mess (when vertical). I would recommend purchasing an AZTEK with a different color rope for your stokes. The stokes AZTEK ratchet is in a different location anyway so the color change would help you track it if you every broke it down. You will have to call and request the color change. I can't remember if you had some type of adjustable lanyard that attaches to the victim's harness in the event of a vertical ascent/descent. The lanyard prevents the victim from sliding down in the stokes. We use the CMC stokes lashing system which has a secondary attachment at the head of the stokes for the victim when going vertical. It works great and (as long as the victim is in a harness) prevents any unwanted movement. Here's a few of us hanging around the house (I'm sure there's some slop here and there):
    Attached Images Attached Images    

bottrigg,
    great pics and comments, thanks.
    on the color issue, we were able to use one of our older single person rated jiggers that are purple for the foot end and a standard aztek (yellow) for the attendant making things look a bit more separate...
    i'm trying to visualize this adjustable lanyard you are talking about. our current setup is to place some sort of harness on the pt (manufactured, hasty, existing climbing) and secure the pt toward the head and foot via girth hitch to the harness and round turns/half hitches to vertical posts on the litter. this secures for movement up and down. we then use the yates litter straps (5) to secure the patient into the stokes. mainline tail goes to the pt, belay line tail goes to the rescuer with a prusik to shorten/adjust if necessary... let me know if this is what you were thinking, i'm curious but it sounds like we are both on the same page and do things similarly...

-m

Thread Information