MembersZone Subscriber

Default Fire in the firehouse-Flanders, NJ

This fire house is about 1/8 of a mile from my house. Of course, I was in MD today doing some training. Note the bolded passage:

Two hurt in Mount Olive as 'problem' ambulance catches fire at Flanders firehouse
    By Dan Goldberg/For The Star-Ledger
    January 28, 2010, 7:55PM
    MOUNT OLIVE--An engine fire destroyed a Flanders ambulance today and injured two firefighters, who fought the blaze inside the Flanders fire and rescue building.

The fire began at about 10:40 a.m., according to Doug Fenichel, spokesman for the Flanders Fire Department.

Volunteer firefighters responded to 27 Main St. and quickly put out the fire, Fenichel said.

There was extensive smoke throughout the two-story building, according to Mount Olive police officer Eric Anthony.

“There was substantial damage to the ambulance,” Fenichel said, “and minor damage to the firehouse.”

The ambulance had recently returned from a medical call and was parked inside the unoccupied firehouse, according to Capt. Jeffrey Paul, spokesman for the Morris County Prosecutor’s Office.

Paul said the investigation revealed that the ambulance was placed out of service when it came back to the firehouse because the ABS (Anti-Lock Breaking System) light was activated.

The Morris County Prosecutor’s Office Arson Unit’s investigation revealed the fire began in the ABS area of the engine.

The firehouse’s smoke alarm was activated and transmitted to the alarm company, Paul said.

This particular Ford ambulance has had a history of engine problems, and was the same that caused the Flanders volunteers to lobby the governor to include emergency vehicles in the “Lemon Law,” according to former councilman Steven Rattner.

The law was signed by former Gov. Jon Corzine earlier this month and applies to vehicles that develop repeated defects in its first two years or within the first 18,000 miles.

Fenichel said there were no serious injuries but two firefighters were treated on scene for smoke inhalation.

The Flanders station has two other ambulances, Fenichel said, and this will not affect their ability to serve the public.

Main Street was closed between North Road and Railroad Avenue for approximately 2 hours, Anthony said.

© 2010 NJ.com. All rights reserved.
    Flanders FD is a very squared awat outfit with a history of doing things the right way the first time. I'm glad this story has a relatively happy ending.
    PROUD, HONORED AND HUMBLED RECIPIENT OF THE PURPLE HYDRANT AWARD - 10/2007.

Forum Member

I just Google Earth'ed it, looks fine to me.
    IAFF

Early Adopter

Quote Originally Posted by snowball View Post
    Huh? I don't get it.

Forum Member

One of our parish's EMS houses had a fire just the other day. They left on a run and left the stove on.

Detectors but no alarm. No sprinklers. One of the supervisors just happened to be driving by and stopped in. Found fire crawling up the wall behind the stove just starting to roll on the ceiling.

Another 5 minutes and the building would have been toast. Old wood structure.

This is the same organization that completely lost thier brand new admin and training building in December to a F2 tornado.

Back In Black

I saw this alert on my blackberry and my stomach dropped.

This is our sister company. Long history of cooperation in working with these men and women.

I'm glad that things turned out okay.
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by ChiefKN View Post
    I saw this alert on my blackberry and my stomach dropped.

This is our sister company. Long history of cooperation in working with these men and women.

I'm glad that things turned out okay.
    You weren't around either, huh?
    PROUD, HONORED AND HUMBLED RECIPIENT OF THE PURPLE HYDRANT AWARD - 10/2007.

Forum Member

We had an attic fire in our station about twenty some years ago. Lighting strike in the early evening. Touched off fifty years worth of Civil Defense / Fallout Shelter stuff that was stuffed up there.

Forum Member

Just an FYI, Google Earth is not constantly updated. I believe they take new photos of hte same spot every year or 2....that's what I heard. Not sure of the exact time frame, but it's not on a daily or even monthly basis.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeWendtCFI View Post
    This fire house is about 1/8 of a mile from my house. Of course, I was in MD today doing some training. Note the bolded passage:

Flanders FD is a very squared awat outfit with a history of doing things the right way the first time. I'm glad this story has a relatively happy ending.
    Well done. 1 firehouse story that some of us don't have to ask that old question about alarms and stuff.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Back In Black

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeWendtCFI View Post
    You weren't around either, huh?
    No, I was in an important meeting in Teaneck and couldn't even get up to make a phone call.

You can bet I was working the text messaging on my phone though.
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Forum Member

Glad it turned out okay, are the remaining ambulances the same model as the one that caught fire?
    Firefighter/EMT 712
    NREMT
    Gifford Fire And Rescue
    6 month Probie
    Medic Student

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Smile Well.........

Snoball - Good shot!....... Google Earth is updated no less than at 3 year intervals. We bought a Car three years ago, and Google's view of our driveway shows the previous Car sitting there.

George, Glad things worked out to avoid an embarrassing loss. As to the Lemon, I hope the FD's attorney is looking at it. Most importantly, I hope all is well with the two Firefighters. Last, Next visit to Maryland, let me know. I can get you through the Immigration and Customs Inspection Quickly.......
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

MembersZone Subscriber

This is the same organization that completely lost thier brand new admin and training building in December to a F2 tornado.

Were talking about Louisana Right?

Why didnt they just jack it up, move the concrete blocks and tires off the roof, and hook up to it and move it?
    The Box. You opened it. We Came...

"You'll take my life but I'll take your's too. You'll fire musket but I'll run you through. So when your waiting for the next attack, you'll better understand there's no turn back."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by hwoods View Post
    Snoball - Good shot!....... Google Earth is updated no less than at 3 year intervals. We bought a Car three years ago, and Google's view of our driveway shows the previous Car sitting there.
    I know that. I want people to think I'm a blonde.
    IAFF

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Talking You Did??..............

I know that. I want people to think I'm a blonde.

You knew that my old Car is the one in the satellite shot????........ Wow....
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by hwoods View Post
    You knew that my old Car is the one in the satellite shot????........ Wow....
    Yeah, it's the only Model T pickup with a rocking chair in the back on your block!
    IAFF

Thread Information