Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Finally Done!

MembersZone Subscriber

Angry Finally Done!

Well we are done with the bidding process, i have a question to other apparatus committee people, are some bids hard to read and understand?

Some of the bids we recieved were just plain nerve racking to read and understand.

OK in one bid they said under chasis that the light bar would be supplied by customer. They said they could comply with our request in our specs, then in the body proposal they said they would provide the light bar as requested, needless to say they did not come out number one. WTF?

This is the first time i have did it and this will be the first custom pumper we have bought in 21 years besides commerical pumpers and custom pumper/tenders. I can say this has been a learning experience.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by firebill911 View Post

OK in one bid they said under chasis that the light bar would be supplied by customer. They said they could comply with our request in our specs, then in the body proposal they said they would provide the light bar as requested, needless to say they did not come out number one. WTF?
    It sounds like the bidder used the chassis company's spec in the chassis place and then noted in the section they were building, the lightbar that they'd provide and mount. Certainly not as "clean" as others, but probably very few third party chassis builders actually mount warning lights and things of that nature.

This can be one of the hardest parts about the bidding process. Our department created an evaluation sheet that listed every item on the truck and we sat down as a committee and each person went through a spec and we evaluated them each, item by item. This took a couple nights but was well worth the time invested. Fair process that allowed us to rank how each builder met our specs. Some that looked good initially weren't and some that didn't look that good wound up on top. It was also easier for one person to stick with that spec because they understood how that company wrote it verses their competitor.
    Train like you want to fight.
    www.kvfd.net

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RFDACM02 View Post
    It sounds like the bidder used the chassis company's spec in the chassis place and then noted in the section they were building, the lightbar that they'd provide and mount. Certainly not as "clean" as others, but probably very few third party chassis builders actually mount warning lights and things of that nature.
    That seems to be the case. On our '89 Quality/Duplex, we wrote into the spec that we wanted all cab lights to be installed by Duplex. Our logic was that it made sense to have the lights and the attendant wiring done as the chassis and cab were being built. Then the body builder wouldn't have to be taking down headliners, drilling holes in the cab, pulling wires, etc. They looked at us a little strangely but they did it and it came out nicely.

With our Toyne/Spartan, they didn't want to hear it. Spartan did the lights that were part of the body work, but Toyne did the rest. Came out OK.

Quote Originally Posted by FFWALT View Post
    This can be one of the hardest parts about the bidding process. Our department created an evaluation sheet that listed every item on the truck and we sat down as a committee and each person went through a spec and we evaluated them each, item by item. This took a couple nights but was well worth the time invested. Fair process that allowed us to rank how each builder met our specs. Some that looked good initially weren't and some that didn't look that good wound up on top. It was also easier for one person to stick with that spec because they understood how that company wrote it verses their competitor.
    Do you mind sharing the evaluation sheet???

MembersZone Subscriber

We created a work sheet that went along with our spec. When bids was opened, we took the work sheet and matched each bidders bids to each line item on the work sheet. We included on the work sheet the page number off the bid. That way we was able compare each bid without having to flip pages trying to find each line item to match to our spec. There is alot of time in getting everything placed on one worksheet, but it makes comparing specs much easier.

MembersZone Subscriber

Red face All Done

I didnt realize the work that goes into the whole process, we leave tomorrow to the plant to do the pre-construction conference. It should be fun.
    We got ahold of several of Depts grading/scoring sheet and make our own and did just like some of you said, spent days going through each bid and giving them a honest score from there bid packet.

RES81CUE,

Sorry I didn't see this sooner, for some reason I didn't get the e-mail notification. If you contact my department (www.kvfd.net) I'm sure someone there will be able to help you. Just ask for a copy of the blank E33 evaluation sheet. I won't be home until mid April otherwise I'd take care of it personally. If you have any questions or problems just let me know.
    Train like you want to fight.
    www.kvfd.net

MembersZone Subscriber

Question Thanks

Thanks FF WALT we already graded them and just got back from the pre-construction conference. They did a good job of going over every fine detail. Now we wait for the pre-paint in about 9-10 months. We were able to get a 525 HP caterpillar motor that was pre-2010 emission. My question is that cat does not require a coolant filter, would it be a good idea to go ahead and get one just because it would be better than not having one? Cummins requires them, we could only get pre-2010 cat motor which is fine. Any mechanics out there please feel free to give me advice. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by firebill911 View Post
    Thanks FF WALT we already graded them and just got back from the pre-construction conference. They did a good job of going over every fine detail. Now we wait for the pre-paint in about 9-10 months. We were able to get a 525 HP caterpillar motor that was pre-2010 emission. My question is that cat does not require a coolant filter, would it be a good idea to go ahead and get one just because it would be better than not having one? Cummins requires them, we could only get pre-2010 cat motor which is fine. Any mechanics out there please feel free to give me advice. Thanks
    I am pretty sure Cat requires it, I would contact your local Cat shop for verification. If it is required, and they did not provide it in their bid proposal, I would press them to install it without any financial penalty to you, as it is OEM required.

I know Detroit requires a filter with a Nalcool element.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

I believe that Caterpillar ships their engines with a coolant conditioner (filter) installed. I'll try to remember to look in the engine manual tomorrow.

You WANT a treatment type filter to both clean the coolant AND maintain the DCA so the liners don't pit. Properly maintained coolant PH greatly cuts down on electrolysis damage. T.C.

MembersZone Subscriber

Unless they have removed the coolant filter in the last few years, the Cat motor should have it on the right side of the block, below the exhaust manifold, and on the front half of the motor.

Thread Information