Forum Member

Default Auto shut offs or all-in-one shut offs

Do any departments out there have any sort of system in place to automatically shut off appliances when tones go off, or a single master kill switch for shutting down appliances manually?

I was just reading the post about the fire in the firehouse in Flanders, NJ and my mind got to thinking.

I know there have been times when we have gotten calls and have something in the oven, a few things on the stove and something going on the grill outside and had to ensure that everything was off before we left.

Just curious and figured I would ask and get some opinions.

MembersZone Subscriber

We have a gas shut-off for our range and grill that kills the gas when the Zetron is activated. Is that what you're talking about? We have to hit a button to reset it when we get back.

Forum Member

Good idea Catch22.

Electric appliances may be a little trickier. We have had several close calls at our station. Bossier Parish EMS wasn't so lucky the other night.

Forum Member

People... it's not rocket science.

One of the things we as the fire service preach in public fire education is do not leave cooking unattended.

If we can't follow our own instructions, how can we expect anyone else to?
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Catch22 View Post
    We have a gas shut-off for our range and grill that kills the gas when the Zetron is activated. Is that what you're talking about? We have to hit a button to reset it when we get back.
    Yeah, that's what I was refering to. Interesting. Thanks for the reply.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainGonzo View Post
    People... it's not rocket science.

One of the things we as the fire service preach in public fire education is do not leave cooking unattended.

If we can't follow our own instructions, how can we expect anyone else to?
    I'm right there with you. We follow the same practices at our dept. Like I said, I was just curious.

Forum Member

no shut off here. We had a kitchen fire in the past due to food on the stove. this resulted in a paint job for the kitchen and a burnt up hood vent, stuff happens. Nothing is worse then opening the bay door and hearing the smoke alarm going off. These kind of things happen all to common.

Forum Member

All our stations have auto shutoffs when the tapout goes off, even have a delay so you can't hit the reset on your way out the door and get things going again. Takes a couple of minutes before you can hit the reset and start cooking again.

Forum Member

Its a nice idea. We don't have it, you just have to turn things off.

Forum Member

Sheesh! How do you think we justify getting new cabinets every couple of years!
    I can't believe they actually pay me to do this!!!

One friend noted yesterday that a fire officer only carries a flashlight, sometimes prompting grumbling from firefighters who have to lug tools and hoses.
    "The old saying is you never know how heavy that flashlight can become," the friend said.
    -from a tragic story posted on firefighterclosecalls.com

Thread Information