1. #1
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    232

    Default AFG Program Specialists getting handy

    A new feature I haven't received before is the welcome to AFG your a winner letter just found in my inbox.
    It spells out responsibilties and process for managing the grant.
    In addition, it gives a handy 6 page outline of what should be included into your documentation binder.
    This will be helpful work for many.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  2. #2
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Long time no Sea
    Posts
    2,253

    Default

    Thanks for posting this. Amazing just how big that binder gets so make sure you get a Huge one.

  3. #3
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    South Dakota
    Posts
    143

    Default

    That binder is gonna come in handy. thanks Hines

  4. #4
    Forum Member
    islandfire03's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    2,590

    Talking

    This is very similar to the list of things Kurt said to put into your binder.
    Now someone from AFG must have attended one of his classes and decided
    " What a great Idea !"
    Certainly helped to have everything in one place when we were audited. Total time involved in the audit was less than 30 minutes, once they looked through the binder and smiled.

  5. #5
    MembersZone Subscriber
    ktb9780's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Auburndale, FL
    Posts
    6,081

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by islandfire03 View Post
    This is very similar to the list of things Kurt said to put into your binder.
    Now someone from AFG must have attended one of his classes and decided
    " What a great Idea !"
    Certainly helped to have everything in one place when we were audited. Total time involved in the audit was less than 30 minutes, once they looked through the binder and smiled.
    I have had several agencies who were inspected have their FPS specialist ask if they could copy the binder as they said they wished everyone would do that.. looks like they did something with it.
    Kurt Bradley
    Public Safety Grants Consultant

    "Never Trade Skill for Luck"

  6. #6
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Long time no Sea
    Posts
    2,253

    Default Kurt

    Quote Originally Posted by ktb9780 View Post
    I have had several agencies who were inspected have their FPS specialist ask if they could copy the binder as they said they wished everyone would do that.. looks like they did something with it.
    Yeah, I want to talk with you about this grant management binder as one of those expenses within the acutal application. Wish this showed up earlier so I could have forwarded it to my grants specialist after she reduced me to 0.

  7. #7
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Northeast Mississippi
    Posts
    25

    Default

    Is this an actual AFG document. I am curious about the Procurement section. I asked at the last AFG class I attended last year about purchasing items that were already bid on State Contract. I was told I had to get three bids even if my local policy said use state pricing. I tried to called helpdesk Friday but did not get through to an actual person. Anyone know if I can use State Contract Pricing and not go through the headache of bidding? Also thanks for posting the .pdf, it is going to be an extremely helpful tool.
    Thanks

  8. #8
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    232

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chiefb1 View Post
    Is this an actual AFG document. I am curious about the Procurement section. I asked at the last AFG class I attended last year about purchasing items that were already bid on State Contract. I was told I had to get three bids even if my local policy said use state pricing. I tried to called helpdesk Friday but did not get through to an actual person. Anyone know if I can use State Contract Pricing and not go through the headache of bidding? Also thanks for posting the .pdf, it is going to be an extremely helpful tool.
    Thanks
    Yep I received this from the program specialist. My understanding is the State contract has already been bid so you should be able to use it. To be sure, get it in writing frrom the helpdesk.

  9. #9
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    DuBois, IL - just south of I-64 in the middle of the state
    Posts
    2,041

    Default

    I got this back in 2004 when we got our first grant. Before we got audited, she suggested we arrange all our papers in this format. Worked great and she appreciated having everything in order when she did the review. So, it's really nothing new.
    Jack Boczek, Chief
    Ashley Community Fire Protection District

    FLATLANDERS FOREVER!

  10. #10
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Long time no Sea
    Posts
    2,253

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chiefb1 View Post
    Is this an actual AFG document. I am curious about the Procurement section. I asked at the last AFG class I attended last year about purchasing items that were already bid on State Contract. I was told I had to get three bids even if my local policy said use state pricing. I tried to called helpdesk Friday but did not get through to an actual person. Anyone know if I can use State Contract Pricing and not go through the headache of bidding? Also thanks for posting the .pdf, it is going to be an extremely helpful tool.
    Thanks
    DHS director of grants Michael Paddock answered that very question in his online webinar about regional applications. He said that Yes, if you used state contract pricing that you did not have to go out and secure extra bids. He added the reason is because they had spend a lot of time, money and effort getting those prices set, so agencies would not have to be sending bid requests for every purchase.

  11. #11
    Forum Member
    islandfire03's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    2,590

    Talking

    Just as long as you understand that "State Bid" is not always the best price available to you. Many times it is possible to get a lower price when going out to bid as an individual department.
    I've seen this happen in several cases where a dept was able to do MUCH better dealing with a distributor direct on everything from radios to SCBA and apparatus.

  12. #12
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Osborn MO
    Posts
    181

    Default

    Bump back to the top, took me 10 minutes to find it

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. HOUSTON walked away from this contract
    By Firewalker1 in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 71
    Last Post: 05-17-2007, 12:34 AM
  2. President Decreases Grant Program Money for '07
    By superchef in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 59
    Last Post: 02-10-2006, 09:42 AM
  3. NVFC Program Screens Firefighters For Heart Attack Risk
    By firenresq77 in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-09-2005, 10:50 AM
  4. Insurance??
    By fdman804 in forum Volunteer Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-14-2003, 06:23 AM
  5. Interagency Fire Apprenticeship Training Program
    By NJFFSA16 in forum Wildland Firefighting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-25-2002, 02:56 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Log in

Click here to log in or register