Forum Member

Default The Dems Miss Another Opportunity to Keep Their Word

Well, seems the Dems chose to go back on their campaign promises to control spending when they took over the House and Senate in 2006 and 2008.

After passing 3 budgets since being in "control" and adding a trillion bucks to our debt and deficit each year - they voted this week to raise the debt ceiling to 14.3 TRILLION.

Instead of making hard choices, they voted right down party lines with 2 independents with them. And they wonder why they are in trouble? Evidently they did not pay much attention to the Scott Heard 'Round the World last week.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/35125607...-capitol_hill/

Senate votes to raise limits on national debt
    'Pay-as-you-go' budget-control measure also muscled through by Senate Democrats
    msnbc.com staff and news service reports
    updated 4:05 p.m. ET, Thurs., Jan. 28, 2010
    WASHINGTON - Senate Democrats needed all 60 votes at their disposal Thursday to muscle through legislation allowing the government to go $1.9 trillion deeper in debt.

Democratic leaders were able to prevail on the politically volatile 60-39 vote only because Republican Sen.-elect Scott Brown of Massachusetts has yet to be seated. Republicans had insisted on a 60-vote, super-majority threshhold to pass the measure. An earlier test vote succeeded on a 60-40 vote.

The measure would put the government on track for a national debt of $14.3 trillion about $45,000 for every American and it served as a vivid reminder of the United States' dire fiscal straits.

The current $12.4 trillion debt ceiling the limit Congress sets on government borrowing is expected to be reached in mid-February.

Congress has never allowed the United States to default on its obligations, which would roil markets and likely cause the government to lose its AAA credit rating.

"We have gone to the restaurant, we have eaten the meal. Now the only question is whether the government will ... pay the bill," said Finance Committee Chairman Max Baucus, D-Mont.

Democrats had to scramble to approve the plan, so they won't have to vote on another increase until after the midterm elections this fall. The House must still vote on the measure before it is sent to Obama for his signature.

The task was made more difficult last week when Brown won the late Edward M. Kennedy's Senate seat from Massachusetts. On Feb. 11, when Brown plans to take office, the Democrats' majority shrinks to 59 and the GOP will have a 41-vote ability to block what it doesn't like in Obama's and Democratic leaders' agendas.

"It took 200 years to build the federal debt to a total of $1.9 trillion," Sen. Judd Gregg, R-N.H., said. "Now the majority wants to increase the current limit ... by $1.9 trillion so that we can finance the government's borrowing binge long enough to get us past the November 2010 elections."

Republicans blame recent generous spending bills enacted by the Democratic-controlled Congress for driving up the debt. Those measures, however, are just one relatively small part of the problem. The far bigger element is a sharp drop-off in tax revenues because of the recession and the economy's slow recovery, as well as higher costs, since more people are taking unemployment benefits and food stamps in tough times.

As part of the debt ceiling bill, the Senate also voted on new "pay-as-you-go" budget rules to make it more difficult for the government to run up its deficit. The new rules attempt to curb the spiraling budget deficit by requiring spending increases or tax cuts to be "paid for" by Congress with cuts to health programs, farm subsidies and veterans' pensions or tax increases.

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nev., whose own re-election is in danger this fall, reversed course and came out in support of the new rules after moderate "Blue Dog" Democrats in the House insisted on them as condition for passing a new $14.3 trillion debt ceiling.

Obama's Democratic allies in the Senate rejected a plan attempting to adopt a modified version of the president's proposal to freeze spending on domestic spending passed by Congress in annual spending bills.

A 56-strong majority of senators supported the plan, but it failed because 60 votes were required. It serves as a marker for later this year when Congress passes its budget.

Copyright 2010 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
    URL: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/35125607...-capitol_hill/

MSN Privacy . Legal
    2010 MSNBC.com
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

MembersZone Subscriber

You have no idea what you are talking about.

Didn't you see that the GDP rose 5.7% last quarter and the recession is over? It's in all the papers.
    PROUD, HONORED AND HUMBLED RECIPIENT OF THE PURPLE HYDRANT AWARD - 10/2007.

Forum Member

Geez, next thing you know you'll tell us how they are going to close Gittmo in a year.............................................. .............................................
    or how they are going to try KSM blocks from Ground Zero......................
    If your going to cry about doing the job you signed up for do us all a favor and quit, there are plenty of dedicated people standing in line for the best job in the world.

Firefighter/Paramedic

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeWendtCFI View Post
    You have no idea what you are talking about.

Didn't you see that the GDP rose 5.7% last quarter and the recession is over? It's in all the papers.
    Would that be THIS GDP?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/35149367...ss-answer_desk

Amazing what happens when someone actually pulls the data apart and gives the COMPLETE truth.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by DaSharkie View Post
    Would that be THIS GDP?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/35149367...ss-answer_desk

Amazing what happens when someone actually pulls the data apart and gives the COMPLETE truth.
    I heard this story earlier today when I was on the road. I couldn't find it to post it. Thanks.
    PROUD, HONORED AND HUMBLED RECIPIENT OF THE PURPLE HYDRANT AWARD - 10/2007.

Banned

Not for nothing Shark, but the dems aren't the only ones who don't keep their word. The republicans are pretty good at it to. Something I have noticed over the last few years. The balance of power keeps shifting back and forth. The party in power gets an arrogant attitude and decides they will do whatever they want instead of doing what the people want and what is best for the country.

I saw the moron Pelosi yesterday saying she is going to cram health care reform through no matter what. Meanwhile, 70$ of the people are saying they don't like what she has to offer. My her little overly liberal part of the world likes the idea. However, grass roots Americans aren't too keen on the idea.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeWendtCFI View Post
    I heard this story earlier today when I was on the road. I couldn't find it to post it. Thanks.
    Not a problem George - I just happened to read the article just before I logged on to FH.

It's amazing what happens when you don't take the psychobabble from a politician at face value, but actually LOOK at the data they use.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ScareCrow57 View Post
    Not for nothing Shark, but the dems aren't the only ones who don't keep their word. The republicans are pretty good at it to. Something I have noticed over the last few years. The balance of power keeps shifting back and forth. The party in power gets an arrogant attitude and decides they will do whatever they want instead of doing what the people want and what is best for the country.

I saw the moron Pelosi yesterday saying she is going to cram health care reform through no matter what. Meanwhile, 70$ of the people are saying they don't like what she has to offer. My her little overly liberal part of the world likes the idea. However, grass roots Americans aren't too keen on the idea.
    Hey, both parties are corrupt. There are a few decent, upstanding folks in office that actually care about the "average Joe" but they are harder and harder to find.

My reason for posting was that, in a week that President Obama stood up and said we need to rein in spending, the dimwits in the Senate INCREASED our debt load instead of making HARD decisions and cutting spending.

When the Republicans take control back (whenever that will be) they will also forget their promises and continue to spend OUR money like a bunch of "drunken sailors."

Thread Information