Forum Member

Default HB5119 - Sirens for Illinois Volunteers

Rep. Rose has introduced legislation to permit volunteer firefighters to utilize sirens in POVs. This is not the first time such legislation has made it way into committee. I believe last time it came around, it failed to make it out of committee.

http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/bill...2&SessionID=76

Forum Member

That might be nice for outer metro VFD's, don't think I'll spend the money for one if it passes thought, just flashing heads and LED's in the back for me.
    Firefighter/EMT 712
    NREMT
    Gifford Fire And Rescue
    6 month Probie
    Medic Student

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks for the link. Lets hope it does not make it out of committee . . .

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by k3twpfire View Post
    Thanks for the link. Lets hope it does not make it out of committee . . .
    I hope they would device a guideline for respectable use of sirens, say not through residential areas at 2 AM
    Firefighter/EMT 712
    NREMT
    Gifford Fire And Rescue
    6 month Probie
    Medic Student

Forum Member

I'm with you k3, this is just plain stupid.

MembersZone Subscriber

DuBois, IL - just south of I-64 in the middle of the state

Sirens don't do a heck of a lot for the big red trucks (or orange ones for that matter) so why would POVs need one? I'm with the guys that hope it doesn't make it to a full vote
    Jack Boczek, Chief
    Ashley Community Fire Protection District

FLATLANDERS FOREVER!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FireEMT712 View Post
    I hope they would device a guideline for respectable use of sirens, say not through residential areas at 2 AM
    I imagine those regulations will be set, as current siren use policies are, by individual departments. Our chief will kill us if we use sirens on the big red trucks at 2AM. I'm sure he'd gladly do the same to any firefighters rolling up at 2AM with their POV sirens wailing.

The bigger issue I see here is that the legislation does not address if Illinois POVs are to be considered emergency vehicles. Right now, the IVC only allows blue lights which act as "courtesy" lights. For the most part (there are of course those who don't abide by the book), most FF's can't/don't cross through red lights, or other driving techniques afforded to emergency vehicles but not POVs. With the introduction of a siren, does this make POVs emergency vehicles?

Interesting question for the lawyers to duke out. I emailed the good Rep. to find out his stance.

Forum Member

Jack...you just had to mention color;]

I'm not sure if it's law or a standard but if you are running hot with the lights, the sirens have to be on.

MembersZone Subscriber

If I remember right, it's the law that lights and sirens go together. We don't always do the siren, either, especially if it's in the middle of the night. We're small town America and traffic's not an issue at 3 AM.

And sorry about the color thing - I couldn't resist.
    Jack Boczek, Chief

FLATLANDERS FOREVER!

MembersZone Subscriber

I really do hope this does not go through. The Rep. is in my district so maybe he'll take a phone call. As an LEO and a Vollie I see this as a cause for disaster since currently POV's are not catagorized or registered as emergency vehichles. IL already has a small number of volunteers who like to play cop with their blue lights, a siren will only compound that problem.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FF2426 View Post
    I really do hope this does not go through. The Rep. is in my district so maybe he'll take a phone call. As an LEO and a Vollie I see this as a cause for disaster since currently POV's are not catagorized or registered as emergency vehichles. IL already has a small number of volunteers who like to play cop with their blue lights, a siren will only compound that problem.
    A small number? Sorry but I've seen a ton of vollies acting like their blue lights are a cool toy just for firefighters to play with. I highly doubt this will pass and if it does I can already think of a few people that will either be in accidents or be getting lots of tickets missusing their "new toy" as they will see it. If it does pass I hope they add a legal class on proper usage of the siren as a requirement before being able to use them.
    Firefighter/EMT 712
    NREMT
    Gifford Fire And Rescue
    6 month Probie
    Medic Student

Forum Member

Jack, that's OK, our new truck is traditional, don't get me wrong we still have 2 our unique color and we do like it, but fiscal responsibility got the best of us with the new one. Funny how that happens when you get close to 300 grand.

Anybody got a number on this bill??

MembersZone Subscriber

I'd guess that if it does pass, we'll just tell our guys they can't have them. Simple as that.
    Jack Boczek, Chief

FLATLANDERS FOREVER!

MembersZone Subscriber

Here's my .02 on this. I hope this doesn't make it out of committee for everyone's safety. Think about this we already have a problem with accidents responding to either scenes or the fire house that have led to fatalities now give someone a siren and they may even get more tunnel vision. Not to mention that your vehicle may not be covered under your current insurance due to liability issues. Personally and don't hate me for this but I think they need to get rid of the blue lights also. If you are out and an alarm comes in it is your responability to respond to either the scene or fire house in a safe and responsible manner and the blue light just as our other lights and sirens do not give you permission to proceed against a red light or break any other traffic laws. I know everyone wants to get there fast so they can go but get there when you get there and do it safely.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by TRUCK61 View Post
    Here's my .02 on this. I hope this doesn't make it out of committee for everyone's safety. Think about this we already have a problem with accidents responding to either scenes or the fire house that have led to fatalities now give someone a siren and they may even get more tunnel vision. Not to mention that your vehicle may not be covered under your current insurance due to liability issues. Personally and don't hate me for this but I think they need to get rid of the blue lights also. If you are out and an alarm comes in it is your responability to respond to either the scene or fire house in a safe and responsible manner and the blue light just as our other lights and sirens do not give you permission to proceed against a red light or break any other traffic laws. I know everyone wants to get there fast so they can go but get there when you get there and do it safely.
    I have to agree, I live in a pretty small community and we still have guys that do 50-60mph on residential roads (all 3 of them in town) and faster on our main street, I do max of 35 in res roads and max of 40 on main street. I'm surely not going to be the one who hits some kid responding to a 90+yo have a little breathing trouble.
    Firefighter/EMT 712
    NREMT
    Gifford Fire And Rescue
    6 month Probie
    Medic Student

Forum Member

I hope it dies in committee as well. I saw the bill in an email from IFCA a few days ago and they will be pushing hard to get it killed.

And yes I am still alive!
    Proudly serving as Vice-President of the Illinois Delegation of the IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

Why is it that they're even considering such a thing when it's obvious that none of US want it?
    Good to hear you're still around, Les. I think we've all been absent for a while over here.
    Jack Boczek, Chief

FLATLANDERS FOREVER!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jboczek View Post
    Why is it that they're even considering such a thing when it's obvious that none of US want it?
    Good to hear you're still around, Les. I think we've all been absent for a while over here.
    I know a lot of my younger firefighter friends really want this.... But I hope it doesn't pass because I'm sure they will abuse it.
    Firefighter/EMT 712
    NREMT
    Gifford Fire And Rescue
    6 month Probie
    Medic Student

Forum Member

Les, you took the words right out of my mouth, see ya in a few.
    Some where someone wanted this idiotic bill. I'll ask again...anyone know the bill's number? so I can look it up, that will tell you who sponsored it.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by trainer View Post
    Les, you took the words right out of my mouth, see ya in a few.
    Some where someone wanted this idiotic bill. I'll ask again...anyone know the bill's number? so I can look it up, that will tell you who sponsored it.
    It's Rep. Rose from the Mahomet area. HB5119.

Thread Information