View Poll Results: Have you ever received a 1199 or reduction and not received an award?

Voters
49. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes. We did not get the award.

6 12.24%
  • Nope. Everytime I got a 1199 or reduction, I got an award.

43 87.76%
    Forum Member

Default A POLL! Have you ever received a 1199 or reduction and not been awarded?

I think this will put the waiting room at ease (or work them up) especially those with just a reduction and no 1199. Stay tuned while I try to set it up.

Edit: by the way, I'm doing this because my region rep told me today that if you get an 1199, there's an 80% chance of an award. On here, however, I've been told about 99% chance. I want to see which is actually true.
    Last edited by medstudent13; 01-29-2010 at 10:00 PM.

Forum Member

still hopeful ; recieved 1199, reduction and 10 questions. no award yet

MembersZone Subscriber

medstudent13,

The reduction part to the poll really is not valid. Prior to this year that was not something we were looking for, just the 1199A. The reductions may have been there, but it was not until this year that it was noticed due to the long delay that was occurring.

You probably can assume that any answers given will be based on only the 1199A aspect.

Forum Member

medstudent...you need to take a chill pill....these people that have been giving you advice and answering your questions are the top grant information people in the u.s.a. take them on their word and stop worrying...

you got your 1199...be happy....thousands dont even have that....ill tell you what....if u dont get awarded....i personally will hire you one of these grant gurus for ur dept next year.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MoneyMan29 View Post
    medstudent...you need to take a chill pill....these people that have been giving you advice and answering your questions are the top grant information people in the u.s.a. take them on their word and stop worrying...

you got your 1199...be happy....thousands dont even have that....ill tell you what....if u dont get awarded....i personally will hire you one of these grant gurus for ur dept next year.
    I'm just a little freaked out by what the regional rep said. I have a feeling he was just saying it to be politically correct though. I don't think he wanted to come out and say, "Well, you have an 1199A. Chances are those questions will come in a week or two, and you'll be funded." So, instead he said, "Well, you might or you might not get the questions. Sometimes only about 800 out of 1000 applicants with an 1199 might get an award."

Forum Member

Talking

Medstudent : you really need to chill a little, You'll work yourself into an ulcer. Patience is a virtue.
    "Officially " , until an award notice is sent to you you have bupkus. But experience with the AFG program shows that there are several steps which all point towards success. 1199 is first , then the ten questions, then reductions letter, then official award notice.

The only time that I've heard of someone getting an 1199 and not being awarded , was when they scored well enough to be considered for award ,but low enough to not make it to award before the funding ran out.

Last year our Safer application got the letter that stated " scored well enough in all aspects ,but not high enough to be funded. If additional funding becomes available [ returned funding or leftover admin funds] you will be considered. We got a call a couple of months later asking if we were still willing to accept an award. We said yes and a few days later got awarded.

Forum Member

I agree. But it will make his happy dance last longer when he finally gets it.

Forum Member

Thanks for voting. If you haven't yet, please do. It would be great to get a large # of people responding so that the results are accurate.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by medstudent13 View Post
    Thanks for voting. If you haven't yet, please do. It would be great to get a large # of people responding so that the results are accurate.
    Med! You stay right on top of being concerned. If I was going into a shooting situation, I would want you on my side right in front leading the way. Nothing wrong with being concerned about your grant. Many of us put a lot on the line and often some Yayhoos mistake what you didn't say. Or better yet, misconstrue what you did say. Getting the official award letter/email and you should be sleeping soundly that night.

You better tell us when it happens. Ya Hear!

MembersZone Subscriber

All of these in our department where completed by another individual with 1199a in 2005 & 2006 followed with awards, No 1199a or reductions in 2007 & 2008 with DJs both of those years. This is my first year with it and I received reductions ($77,181 reduced to $72,303)on my OPS grant in December just prior to Christmas, patiently waiting on an 1199a, 10 questions and hopefully a sucessful award.

I would be curious as to if those that had reductions and/or 1199a without a sucessful award in past years received any formal notification as to why other than the standard DJ letter.

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking Grant Writers Deficit Disorder (GWDD)

AFG Grant Writers are often interested in only three things in life. They are prone to jump up in sudden interest when they visit firehouse.com, or simply refuse to stop checking for 1199A's, 10Q's or reductions. They frequently spend hours in front of their PC's. These natural tendencies, which have existed in grant writers as long as BC79er and KTB9780 have been on firehouse.com, have been packaged into a group of symptoms, and called Grant Writers Deficit Disorder (GWDD). Mainly, it's a group of behaviors that certain grant writers don't like or can't deal with effectively. So the government has given it a fancy name, GWDD, called this a "mental disorder", and set loose an avalanche of tricks and delays to drive people with GWDD crazy. The beer companies, who profit greatly by the drinking habits of grant writers, encourage and lobby people at AFG to change their habits each year, vary the award cycle and do all sorts of inhumane things to torture grant writers.

Copyright 2010 by one of the first diagnosed GWDD patients

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fighting41NY View Post
    AFG Grant Writers are often interested in only three things in life. They are prone to jump up in sudden interest when they visit firehouse.com, or simply refuse to stop checking for 1199A's, 10Q's or reductions. They frequently spend hours in front of their PC's. These natural tendencies, which have existed in grant writers as long as BC79er and KTB9780 have been on firehouse.com, have been packaged into a group of symptoms, and called Grant Writers Deficit Disorder (GWDD). Mainly, it's a group of behaviors that certain grant writers don't like or can't deal with effectively. So the government has given it a fancy name, GWDD, called this a "mental disorder", and set loose an avalanche of tricks and delays to drive people with GWDD crazy. The beer companies, who profit greatly by the drinking habits of grant writers, encourage and lobby people at AFG to change their habits each year, vary the award cycle and do all sorts of inhumane things to torture grant writers.

And the fog lifted to allow it to be broken down from molecular to atomic structure. It is now understandable. Well done.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fighting41NY View Post

You should send that in to the psychiatrists that write the DSM-IV. I believe that could be listed as an Axis I Impulse Control disorder right between addictions and OCD.

We have learned that behaviors such as checking for the 10Qs or an 1199 are highly resistant to extinction because they operate on a variable ratio. In other words, if you check your email enough times, there will eventually be something there from AFG which will highly reinforce the behavior.

The only way to cure GWDD is through getting an award or by enlisting in a 12 step program (which FEMA should pay for since they are keeping us all waiting forever!)

Forum Member

Anyone ever get an award after getting reductions, then a 1199 # and then a phone call from an AFG rep asking if were still planning on putting up the more then 5% matching funds? Then having the person say they may send additoinal questions but we never recieved them. made 2 attempts to call back the rep but unsuccessfull.
    and suggestions?

Forum Member

MembersZone Subscriber

Cool too late in the game but I think your poll is skewed

If I can only vote 1 time and have had 1 instance where there was an 1199 that didn't get funded that's how I voted, but I've had over 40 apps get 1199 and funded how come I cant' vote 40 more times?

Just my # are 40 to 1 for an 1199 getting funded. The poll shows almost 13% not funded where 40 to 1 is only 2% getting the 1199 then not getting funded.

I think the next question should be; out how many funded apps have you ever had an 1199 that didn't get funded.
    Last edited by lfdmichael; 02-02-2010 at 03:41 PM. Reason: late in day

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by lfdmichael View Post
    If I can only vote 1 time and have had 1 instance where there was an 1199 that didn't get funded that's how I voted, but I've had over 40 apps get 1199 and funded how come I cant' vote 40 more times?

Just my # are 40 to 1 for an 1199 getting funded. The poll shows almost 13% not funded where 40 to 1 is only 2% getting the 1199 then not getting funded.

I think the next question should be; out how many funded apps have you ever had an 1199 that didn't get funded.
    I agree with you. The results are probably skewed for several reasons. It might help if those of you who voted "YES" can explain the situation.

* I also think some people may be misreading this as "Have you received a 1199 or reduction and not received an award (yet for the 2009 cycle)"

Thread Information