Forum Member

Default What are our chances?

I have applied for the afg grant since I started writing the grants in 2005. I have 2 successful grant awards 2007 and 2008 for equipment airpacks, hose, radios,lights,plymovent system. I would have applied sooner for the engine but the airpacks and hose took priority as airpacks were out dated and so was the hose. The department took a hard long look at the future of the department and decided to apply in 2009 for a engine to replace our 1974 FWD 1000gpm single stage with open jump seat configuration, we have quite a few people fall from this configuration of jump seats in which prompted us to put on gates and get rid of the man saver bars. The engine has been in service for 36 years, it was purchased in 1974.

The department also has 3 other vehicles. 1992 2000 gpm engine in which is out of service more than it is in service. 1980 100ft ladder truck and 2007 F-550 crew cab purchased by local government with 2mil tax allotment spanned over 10 years.
    The current average of our fleet is 27 years.

The main reason of replacing the engine is safety and the parts for the vehicle are very scarce. The The engine is our primary engine and runs more than 150 calls of the 320 calls we had this past year.

Our coverage area consists of 1 square mile and mutual aid to more than 6 other departments surrounding which includes 2 major interstates that connect into New York, New Jersey and Ohio.
    Last edited by Willy53; 01-30-2010 at 02:53 PM.

Forum Member

Talking

Based on what you have presented here for details, I would give better than even odds on scoring well if you made it to peer review.

The deciding factors are your demographics, budget, cost benefit analysis for your request and just plain luck in getting by the computer scoring to peer review. You also have to score higher than many other departments which have many of the same issues as you. Then there is the ever present 1 in 15 chance of getting the award for

I know this might not give you a warm and fuzzy feeling about your chances , but those are the odds we have to work with.
    Good luck.

Forum Member

you can increase you chances by putting more into your cash participation than just coming up with the minimum required.

Just do not go over 23% of the total projects costs.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jam24u View Post
    you can increase you chances by putting more into your cash participation than just coming up with the minimum required.

What happens if you go over 23%?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by bweindel View Post
    What happens if you go over 23%?
    Ya, really: what if? Mine worked out to 24% this year to make it more enticing... Haven't heard yet but hoping... Would be nice to replace a 1977 tanker

Forum Member

If you go 24 percent or over, they know you can get outside financing and do not need grant support. remember a hand up not a hand out.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by medic190 View Post
    Ya, really: what if? Mine worked out to 24% this year to make it more enticing... Haven't heard yet but hoping... Would be nice to replace a 1977 tanker
    Dude! Send me your narrative. jam24u@windstream.net I want to see that and I'll be meeting kurt for libations in a few minutes.

Forum Member

If you go 24 percent or over, they know you can get outside financing and do not need grant support. remember a hand up not a hand out.
    Going 24% is the most we could do, since we are still paying off a vehicle loan and building loan (they'll be paid off in 2017.) Can't get outside financing until finishing them off, or we have to raise taxes by approximately 27% in the mean time. Voters won't go for that...

Forum Member

I knew this, but with a aerial project we applied using a match of 43%, received a small reduction, and 1199, just waiting for the questions.
    Last edited by shinds; 01-30-2010 at 10:34 PM.

Forum Member

you only cover 1 square mille??

Forum Member

Yes only one square mile we run over 300 calls a year. We are on joint response with 2 townships 1 is 54 square miles and other is 50 square miles. We are on first due for both areas.

Forum Member

thats amazing... i have never seen a dept cover 1 mile... we cover 22 and run 104 calls...haha thats cool man!!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by medic190 View Post
    Going 24% is the most we could do, since we are still paying off a vehicle loan and building loan (they'll be paid off in 2017.) Can't get outside financing until finishing them off, or we have to raise taxes by approximately 27% in the mean time. Voters won't go for that...
    I just now got back to the motel room from having dinner with Kurt, (who is now kareokeing). Told him about your cash match at 24%. He confirmed what I posted earlier . Try not to go over 23% in the cash match.

He suggests that applicants making apparatus applications increase their cash match above their minimums to increase their chances to get awarded, but not to go past the 23% because it puts into the bracket of being able to get financed through a lending institution. Calls it the majic number.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Willy53 View Post
    Yes only one square mile we run over 300 calls a year. We are on joint response with 2 townships 1 is 54 square miles and other is 50 square miles. We are on first due for both areas.
    Just wondering what is your ISO rating? One sq. mile coverage area. That is unbelievable!!

Forum Member

class 5 iso rating

Forum Member

What is the population density?

Forum Member

Population in primary is about 3,643
    Last edited by Willy53; 01-31-2010 at 10:49 PM.

Forum Member

Population in primary is about 3,643
    Do you know everyone of them?

MembersZone Subscriber

Our coverage area consists of 1 square mile and mutual aid to more than 6 other departments surrounding which includes 2 major interstates that connect into New York, New Jersey and Ohio.

Awful big brush your painting your picture with - 2 major interstates that connect into New York, New Jersey and Ohio. Missed a state

When you did your 07 & 08 grant did you write it as primary response area of 1 mile and automatic aid area as 104 miles or did you show just 105 miles ?

Forum Member

Default more than 23% matching?

Wish I would have know that. Requested 440k for a quint with an additional 200k in matching funds avail for the project. Without the funding the project is dead beciase the powers to be wont let us finance it due to the economy and budget shortfalls. Total project 640k and its to replace an 89 squirt and an 81 open cab pumper.

MembersZone Subscriber

Do you know everyone of them?
    Departments like that are often found in the Northeast. They stack people up in those houses and condos.

Not uncommon at all.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JRCjersey View Post
    Wish I would have know that. Requested 440k for a quint with an additional 200k in matching funds avail for the project. Without the funding the project is dead beciase the powers to be wont let us finance it due to the economy and budget shortfalls. Total project 640k and its to replace an 89 squirt and an 81 open cab pumper.
    If you state that in narrative, that may work to convince the reviewers. I don't know if the computer review would kick it out or not. But understand I am not a guru or a reviewer. I would suggest you message Onebugle, Sly, Catch or some of the others.

Forum Member

Did you include this in your narrative or additional funding section?

Forum Member

Willy-sounds like us!

9 square miles and run almost 900 a year-just fire. Mutual aid to 5 surrounding depts keep us busy as well as commercial in our district!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by SLY4420 View Post
    Did you include this in your narrative or additional funding section?
    Included it in the narrative section only.

Thread Information