Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default i need gear ideas

ok so i am on a commity like thing with my explorer post, we just got new orange helmets that look realy good. now we are trying to find some nice gear to go with it, any ideas on what kinda gear and what color of gear? plez let me know thanks

Forum Member

1) Turnouts are turnouts. As an Explorer, you don't need anything great or that meets NFPA because you shouldn't be seeing life fire. Anything will do... It doesn't really matter. Check departments near you for extra/old training gear or eBay.

2) Try using some English and grammar... It makes you look so much more professional than your posts on here already do.
    Firefighter/EMT
    My words stated here do not necessarily point towards organizations which I am affiliated with.

Our dept was in same situation. We found out that when the juniors went to take essentials program the instructors were failing there gear during inspections and that they were told not to bring it back.

I took our grant from the state and purchased least amount price structural firefighting gear. So our juniors have new sets of gear. By doing that it expanded our junior program by 5 fold. We got juniors from leaving neighboring departments and joining ours.

allright thank youfor the tips.

Depending on your department you may be able to scrounge up some extras from the senior members. Just make sure to keep inventory of everything checked out and checked back in. As far as needing certified gear for "Essentials" program (I assume FFI), it probably isn't started until being 17 or so. If it is just made policy that once someone is going to start the program they be given certified gear, you can get past this difficulty. And everyone else who is younger can use the not certified gear.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Willy53 View Post
    I took our grant from the state and purchased least amount price structural firefighting gear.
    Grant money for gear for Jrs?!?!?!

Shouldn't grant money be used for firefighting?

I am all for getting JRs what they need but holy crap!!! If you need grant money to do this then your dept obviously needs to use that money on other things. Maybe gear for frontline guys, adapters, hose, tools, etc. etc. etc.

Was this a grant specifically for a Jr program? Or a grant from private industry?

Quote Originally Posted by CGITCH View Post
    Depending on your department you may be able to scrounge up some extras from the senior members. Just make sure to keep inventory of everything checked out and checked back in. As far as needing certified gear for "Essentials" program (I assume FFI), it probably isn't started until being 17 or so. If it is just made policy that once someone is going to start the program they be given certified gear, you can get past this difficulty. And everyone else who is younger can use the not certified gear.
    i like your idea but we are trying to go away from the same gear.

Quote Originally Posted by RS1606 View Post
    i like your idea but we are trying to go away from the same gear.
    Why are you trying to go away from the same gear? Is it so you look different? Having a different colored helmet should be good enough to identify who is Jr and who is not - if these Jr's are going to become full members of the fire department, they should be using/training with the same type of gear that is worn by the firefighters.......not having to learn new equipment/gear....

Like others said - old gear that is not NFPA compliant any more as long as it is not used for structural firefighting, and is still in decent enough shape.

it is our chiefs decision for us to have a different type of gear, right now we are using old gear but he wants us to have nicer gear that fits.

Thread Information