Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Keep Hiring Fair

check out website on keeping hiring practices fair and made to choose the best deserving applicants for the job of FF!

http://meritmattersusa.blogspot.com/

Why doesn't the most qualified get the job? It just isn't fair or right.
    FF/Paramedic

MembersZone Subscriber

I'm confused. Unless the applicant doesn't understand English or read well (which is an important basic task in the fire service), I don't see how a written test could discriminate based on race. Can someone provide an example of how a written test could discriminate against Blacks and Hispanics?

Frankly, if the best qualified applicant can perform all the core tasks of the job, it doesn't matter what race, sex, religion, etc they are.

Quote Originally Posted by zzyyzx View Post
    I'm confused. Unless the applicant doesn't understand English or read well (which is an important basic task in the fire service), I don't see how a written test could discriminate based on race. Can someone provide an example of how a written test could discriminate against Blacks and Hispanics?

Frankly, if the best qualified applicant can perform all the core tasks of the job, it doesn't matter what race, sex, religion, etc they are.
    It is not based on scores. Ex. FF-A scores 71 and FF-B scores 99. 70 or above is passing. They take FF-A because he is a minority.
    FF/Paramedic

MembersZone Subscriber

I understand the concept of affirmative action, but the article linked states the "tests discriminate against minorities." Makes it sound like the test itself was the problem and not the process, hence my curiosity.

Forum Member

The judge ruled that the written test must be discriminatory due to the outcome of the minority pass/fail rate. Which DC Mannix has looked into and learned that it is at the same ratio as minority pass/fail rate for SAT, MCAT, LSAT, etc.. etc...

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by zzyyzx View Post
    I understand the concept of affirmative action, but the article linked states the "tests discriminate against minorities." Makes it sound like the test itself was the problem and not the process, hence my curiosity.

In FDNY's case (and the vast majority of other discrimination cases against numerous Fire and Police agency's in the country), a judge looks only at the percentage of minorities passing vs. those of non-minority status. If too many minorities fail in comparison to non-minorities the test gets ruled as unfair. They don't take into account what the test is on, the backgrounds of the test takers, or other factors that could impact a person's performance.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by TNFF319 View Post
    It is not based on scores. Ex. FF-A scores 71 and FF-B scores 99. 70 or above is passing. They take FF-A because he is a minority.
    BINGO, well said

Forum Member

And now for something completely different...
    Last edited by Who me; 02-21-2010 at 10:03 AM.

Forum Member

Yeah definitely a good idea. But there are lots of things which are needed and must to keep in mind while arranging hiring fair. I think the main thing is to display the criteria and minimum qualification first.....

Thread Information