Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Forum Member

Default Transferring From England

Hi Guys,

I am looking to emigrate to the states, I have been a fireman in London England for 10 years!
    Does anyone know if i can transfer into any of the states brigades without having to re apply? obviously i will have to have some transition training due to procedures and equipment differences etc.
    Looking at NYC? can any of you guys help?

Quote Originally Posted by HUTCHY View Post
    Hi Guys,

I am looking to emigrate to the states, I have been a fireman in London England for 10 years!
    Does anyone know if i can transfer into any of the states brigades without having to re apply? obviously i will have to have some transition training due to procedures and equipment differences etc.
    Looking at NYC? can any of you guys help?
    It takes years and years and proper planning to land a paid job in the US.

There is a forum on here that discusses how to get hired. Read through it. You'll be shocked/amazed/disgusted.

I think just about anywhere you go will require you to go through their academy. If I wanted to transfer to departments in other states here, I'd have to go through their basic training.

Good Luck!
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Hutchy, you just can't crossover in the US...even from most dept to dept here. I couldn't leave NYC and go to LA without going through their hiring process. Most FDs (all in NY) are civil service jobs that hire from a competitive list that is established after a written, physical, medical, and psych tests. You also need to be a US citizen for most places.......no work visas....as that alonbe could take years.

If you have NO real good reason to leave the UK....I'd suggest you stay there at your job. There are a bunch of LFB guys on here who you could probably talk to....but I would seriously consider NOT immigrating....unless you have no choice.
    Last edited by VinnieB; 01-31-2010 at 12:14 PM.
    IACOJ Member

MembersZone Subscriber

About the only way it would help you would be experience during the oral interview. Other than that, you'll be considered pretty much the same as any other candidate and require the same training. You might be able to look into private sector. They sometimes have different hiring practices, but at most municipal and government positions you'll be at ground level.

MembersZone Subscriber

It may not be of any interest to you Hutchy, but you might look into some Canadian depts. I served with 2 lads, one from LFB and 1 from I believe Belfast. They both had experience which helped them in getting hired, but they had to go through the academy and started at level 1.

Forum Member

You'll have to start over again.

You will have an advantage on other applicants during the oral interview portion of the hiring process as you have a great deal of experience.

You will need a green card (permanent residency) in order to apply. Some cities require citizenship, but most do not.

I assure you that most FFs here would jump at the chance to have a real-life LFB fireman ride along for a shift. Next time you're over in the US, try riding along with one of us. Unlike you, most departments over here go on medical calls (helps to break your spirit and keep morale low).

Also, shoot me a PM if you have any more questions.

Cheerio!

Forum Member

cheers lads thanks for all the quick replys! anymore would be appreciated!
    hutchy

Forum Member

Hutchy,

What are your credentials? Anything internationally recognized (IFSAC, ProBoard) certificates? If not you would be starting from square one - at least in my neck of the Canadian wilderness.
    Some of the larger cities may take a good look at you (Calgary, Edmonton) as they have training programs. The application process is long. A lot of other departments require 1001 certification. Your 10years would count for something though.
    -I have learned people will forget what you said,
    -People will forget what you did,
    -But people will never forget how you made them feel!

HUTCHY, if this is something that you are VERY SERIOUS about then great, otherwise you'll be better off staying with the LFB and emigrating after you retire.

The reason being is that ten years is a lot of time to put into your career to start all over again at 0 which is exactly where you will be with just about any department in the U.S. I'm not saying that just because you are from another country. It's just that just about any large municipal fire department in the country promotes (at least line level personnel) from within and most everybody in the organization started at 0 in the recruit school. Also, as said above, everybody goes trough the same testing process, usually a civil service style exam. There are no "transfers".

You mentioned FDNY (NYC). With 10 years on the job you're probably around 30. Their maximum age for consideration is 29 at the time of testing so that is probably out. Also realize that there are a few departments here with the same amount of fire duty as the LFB and competition for those positions is tremendous (hundreds of applicants for each position). You would also need to have a green card for most departments to consider you for employment.

Might I suggest that you arrange a trip over here to stay in a firehouse and ride along in a department that you may be interested in. That way you would get an idea if it would be for you. We may be brothers in profession and heart, but you do realize that we do operate slightly differently as far as tactics. Just make sure that is something you are ready to accept. Not trying to be an @ss... but the last thing that someone is going to want to hear is "this is the way we did it back in England". I wish the best for you whatever your decision may be.
    I can't believe they actually pay me to do this!!!

One friend noted yesterday that a fire officer only carries a flashlight, sometimes prompting grumbling from firefighters who have to lug tools and hoses.
    "The old saying is you never know how heavy that flashlight can become," the friend said.
    -from a tragic story posted on firefighterclosecalls.com

Hutchy,

I got a guy who came from England and was a mine rescue supervisor over there for 15 years. The US government allowed him a green card so he could find employment right away but for most people they make them become a US citizen first. He married a woman from here so I don't know if that changes the procedure or not. I also have a Canadian who wanted to join the department 3 years ago but couldn't because the government said he had to be naturalized first.

If you put your mind to it, it can be done. However credentials don't "transfer" like others have said. Just about every place will make you go through their own training program or academy. Here in the US even from state to state they have to do the training all over again. It will be along process but if you really want it you should make a trip to where you would like to settle and check it out.
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

MembersZone Subscriber

I personally feel that if you want to emigrate and become a resident of the greatest country on earth, we would love to have you.

But the answers to the fire service question have been frank and honest. It ain't easy.

I guess another way to look at this question is; if a FF from the US wanted to immigrate to the UK and become a FF, would it be an easy process with a lateral transfer?
    PROUD, HONORED AND HUMBLED RECIPIENT OF THE PURPLE HYDRANT AWARD - 10/2007.

The "It's difficult to get hired" line would have more creedence if George wasn't posting...
    Logic and proportion have fallen sloppy dead.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by johnny46 View Post
    The "It's difficult to get hired" line would have more creedence if George wasn't posting...
    Why? Because I am not a career FF? Never said I was. I was a career LEO, a f/t fire investigator and a 30+ year vol. FF. So?

I am not an astronaut, but I know the moon is really far away.

Most cities, and or counties in the USA required you to be a US Citizen, to apply. No exceptions. No green cards.

Even if you were a US Citizen and had the good luck of being hired, you would have to attend and pass the 20 week [or how many weeks in other places] recruit training given by the department.

What ever certifications you may have don't mean anything in Virginia or Maryland.

It is just a piece of paper.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeWendtCFI View Post
    Why? Because I am not a career FF? Never said I was. I was a career LEO, a f/t fire investigator and a 30+ year vol. FF. So?

I am not an astronaut, but I know the moon is really far away.
    I forgot you weren't a career firefighter--I was making a joke that if you got hired, it couldn't be all that difficult.

It was affectionate.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by johnny46 View Post
    I forgot you weren't a career firefighter--I was making a joke that if you got hired, it couldn't be all that difficult.

It was affectionate.
    Hugs back at ya.

Aw, shucks.

MembersZone Subscriber

(Johhny and George, on a mountain top, wearing flowers in our hair)

"I'd like to teach the world to sing
    in perfect harmony..."

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeWendtCFI View Post
    (Johhny and George, on a mountain top, wearing flowers in our hair)

"I'd like to teach the world to sing
    in perfect harmony..."
    I just threw up a little in my mouth.
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Johnny and George you just made my whole day, probably my whole month. I am laughing so hard, I can barely type. Thanks guys, I always know where to come to get cheered up

Thread Information