Forum Member

Default Late Shift Calls

How does your department handle calls just before shift change? Our shift change is 7am and are not required to be at the station any amount of time prior to 7am as long as when you arrive your ready to go (we are typically there 15-30 min prior). If a medical or rescue call comes in prior to 7am who takes the run (if the next crew is there)? Our on duty crew takes it and then ends up with overtime. I look at it two ways, as the shift guy I am still on duty so take the run and as the citizen have the next shift take it to save overtime.

How does your departments handle this situation?

Forum Member

Our shift firefighter changes shift officially at 5PM. As a rule, the change occurs at 4:30PM.

If it's a minor (excludes non-cardiac or MVA) call and there are enough volunteers in the station, the career firefighter will generally stay behind and the volunteers will handle the run. if it sounds like a significant call, the shift firefighter will also respond and the incoming shift firefighter will respond in a utility vehicle once he arrives at the station.

If it is a significant call the off-going firefighter will be expected to remain on-scene and function in his volunteer capacity until the situation is stabilized. The same is expected of the paid Deputy Chief, myself as the Public Education/Training Coordinator and the volunteer who was working the 7AM-5PM day shift.

Forum Member

We don't have any rule on coming in "early", but in practice most do arrive a little early. If a call does come in, then who takes the call usually depends on the nature of the call and how close to 8 it is.

The oncoming personnel will normally take the call if it's a "routine" type of call. If it's of a more "serious" nature, then everyone will normally go.

We really don't have that many calls around our shift change time (8am), so it's not much of an issue for us.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    If it is a significant call the off-going firefighter will be expected to remain on-scene and function in his volunteer capacity until the situation is stabilized. The same is expected of the paid Deputy Chief, myself as the Public Education/Training Coordinator and the volunteer who was working the 7AM-5PM day shift.
    Man, the FLSA people are gonna have a field day with your department some day.

Forum Member

Man, the FLSA people are gonna have a field day with your department some day.

Possibly.

It's just too bad that our rights to do what is right for our community have been trampled.

I would be more than happy to sign a waiver tomorrow disallowing my right to overtime, though, being admin, I am considered by the department as exempt.

MembersZone Subscriber

On paper we relieve at 8 am and 6 pm. Reality, we come in about 7-7:15 or 5-5:15. Any later than that on a regular basis, you are a BUM.

Used to be, a call (esp. box) comes in, everyone jumps in the truck. Now we can't go unless every member has a radio and pack. We only have enough radios for the assigned members, so... We have 1-for-1 relief. This means first thing I do, grab my gear from the rack and put it on the piece. Whomever's gear I'm taking off is now relieved, and would not make the run if the bells were to go off that second. Courtesy holds that if there is a detail in, or an OT guy, anyone who's not "home" and on their platoon, gets tossed and the guy I'm relieving will jump to that spot.
    Opinions expressed are mine alone, and do not necessarily reflect those of the Philadelphia Fire Department and/or IAFF Local 22.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    It's just too bad that our rights to do what is right for our community have been trampled.
    Apparently that's not much of a problem for the department, since it appears to be just fine with disregarding federal labor laws in order to trample the rights of its employees.

MembersZone Subscriber

Most people come in 15 min to an hour ahead of shift change (0730). It just depends on the crew and the guys. Usually, the oncoming shift will get changed and put their gear on the truck. As soon as this has happened, they have effectively relieved the off-going guy. Usually the shift leaving stays around for a while and chews the fat. If something comes in and it's before 0730, officially it's still their call and if they get stuck on a long call then they get overtime. If it's a big event, we'll try to find resources to get the oncoming shift on-scene and relieve the off-going guys if possible. Luckily this doesn't happen often.

Forum Member

offical time here is shift change at 0800 have to be on the floor lined up for roll call. offically we have a relief man on the oposite shift and do a one for one relief.

unoffically it depends on the station. my station reliefs start at 0645 and everyone is their by 0700. If you are not in the dayroom hanging out with the guys by the 7 oclock bell then you are a slug. if you are in the parking lot, you better get your *** in gear and relieve your man. Once again if you just let him pass and go on the call your a slug. the man detailed in usually gets stuck with the last relief or the detail man coming in for the shift. If it sounds like it is going to be a working job, some of the guys will jump on and some dont. most of the time one of the guys will atleast follow behind the truck to take the hydrant to free up the hydrant man at the very least. overtime gets paided for anytime after 0800. with a 0645 relief that is pretty rare.

MembersZone Subscriber

We change at 7AM, we are usually in the station by 6:45. The on coming crew will take the call. Sometimes it is a mix of the crew that is on and the on coming crew. If it sounds like something major both crews will go.

MembersZone Subscriber

Over the course of your career, it all works itself out. Your going to go out on runs that run over sometime and youll catch them, and your going to miss out on a few sometimes. No sense getting worked up over 15-30 min.
    Your a daisy if you do.

Forum Member

At my department, we dont have any written rules, but as a common courtesy everyone tries to get there approx. and hour before the official start of the shift at 0700 hours. That is just the way it has been at this department for some years now. I realize that everywhere is different, but dont you think that it is kind of silly to make the other firefighter get held and at the same time cost the city unneeded ot due to someone not wanting to get there and check there equipment any earlier. Maybe you can be the one to start an new presidence.

MembersZone Subscriber

Official Shift Change is 07:00 - we try to be in at least 15 minutes early.

On-coming shift is considered On Duty soon as they come in so they will take any "shift change" calls that might come in.
    Take Care - Stay Safe - God Bless
    Stephen
    FF/Paramedic
    Instructor

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by N2DFire View Post
    Official Shift Change is 07:00 - we try to be in at least 15 minutes early.

On-coming shift is considered On Duty soon as they come in so they will take any "shift change" calls that might come in.

same thing with the department I am in but we start at 08:00. If you are early and a call comes out, then we have more people on the unit. If you are clocked out but a call comes out and your still in the station then it's an OVERTIME Call, as long as you know hanging around for too long.

MembersZone Subscriber

Our shift starts at 0800, as long as the person is in uniform and ready to go by 0800 he is considered on time. We also have no requirement to take calls before 0800. Most guys do, and it is encouraged since we are trying to curb OT. One thing I don't tolerate is the last secons panic switch of gear and guys, if you are ther early and are willing to take calls you had better put your gear on the rig. To me it is not acceptable to delay your turnout because your stuff is still in your locker.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RFD21C View Post
    offical time here is shift change at 0800 have to be on the floor lined up for roll call. offically we have a relief man on the oposite shift and do a one for one relief.

unoffically it depends on the station. my station reliefs start at 0645 and everyone is their by 0700. If you are not in the dayroom hanging out with the guys by the 7 oclock bell then you are a slug. if you are in the parking lot, you better get your *** in gear and relieve your man. Once again if you just let him pass and go on the call your a slug. the man detailed in usually gets stuck with the last relief or the detail man coming in for the shift. If it sounds like it is going to be a working job, some of the guys will jump on and some dont. most of the time one of the guys will atleast follow behind the truck to take the hydrant to free up the hydrant man at the very least. overtime gets paided for anytime after 0800. with a 0645 relief that is pretty rare.

Yep at 8 AM you are not in the house and the Officer has not seen you, You are late!

When I was last in the house the Officers relieved at 6 AM. This gave the guy who lived away time to beat the traffic going across town and also some were farmers so they got to get to the fields!! I enjoyed coming in early.

Usually I didn't leave the house until after 8 as I was finishing paper work.
    It never bothered me, when I was a fireman I was there by 6:30 AM and had my gear on the rear step or close to the ride where I was would be riding for that shift. Then I went to the kitchen or where we gathered for the morning BS'sing and coffee.

My relief worked part time as did myself and a lot of other members to help supplement the income.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

MembersZone Subscriber

Our shift change is at 0700. Guys usually try to be there at least 20 minutes early, if not more. Once we arrive, as a courtesy, we relieve the on-duty crew. This way, if there is that 10-til call, they can still leave at 0700, or before if they like.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Catch22 View Post
    Our shift change is at 0700. Guys usually try to be there at least 20 minutes early, if not more. Once we arrive, as a courtesy, we relieve the on-duty crew. This way, if there is that 10-til call, they can still leave at 0700, or before if they like.
    What he said...

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptOldTimer View Post
    Yep at 8 AM you are not in the house and the Officer has not seen you, You are late!

When I was last in the house the Officers relieved at 6 AM. This gave the guy who lived away time to beat the traffic going across town and also some were farmers so they got to get to the fields!! I enjoyed coming in early.

Usually I didn't leave the house until after 8 as I was finishing paper work.
    It never bothered me, when I was a fireman I was there by 6:30 AM and had my gear on the rear step or close to the ride where I was would be riding for that shift. Then I went to the kitchen or where we gathered for the morning BS'sing and coffee.

My relief worked part time as did myself and a lot of other members to help supplement the income.

sounds like it hasn't changed that much in the last however many years.

Forum Member

Shift change is at 8am. I make every effort to relieve my guy by 7:30am, as long as it's reciprocated. Too many guys get to the firehouse, and hit the kitchen before placing their stuff on the rig. Pretty annoying....

As soon as I step foot inside, gear goes on the rig! I've made a pact to myself this year, to try to get there earlier, like 7:00/ 7:15.

Forum Member

My dept. the shift thats off going takes the call and any on coming firefighters jump on it too. Our shift change is at 8am...if the call runs past 8 we get overtime.

MembersZone Subscriber

At my station the shift starts at 0700, but everybody rolls in by 0615 so that we are able to take those early calls for the off going shift. Most likely they've gotten little to no sleep, and it's well worth it when the favor is returned and we get to head home on time. We try and look out for each other.

MembersZone Subscriber

our shift change is official at 8, but within our department it is customary to relieve your man around 7 to 730. this is relative to the station also. most guys are at the station between 7 and 715. they go to the seat they are in for the day, take that guys stuff off and put it in the locker, put their gear on the truck and check airpack. now here is the tricky part, you go to the guy who owns the gear you just took off the truck and say " I got you" or if you are lazy or have to do more stuff checking equipment you get on the intercom and say, firefighter "insert name here", i got you.

so it's simple if you haven't heard i got you and a run comes in you get on the truck. since shift change is official at 8 and you still haven't been relieved you will fill out an ot form for "hangin in"

another thing is that we have mandatory 4 man staffing on all aparatus (outside of chiefs cars and brush trucks) but we are allowed to run 3 for up to 4 hours a day, as long as each truck as 3 on it the non-relieved guy can leave at 8, provided he lets the officer know.

it's worked for years without major issues. of course you get the guy that sits on his rear for a few minutes before relieving his man, but it doesn't last long before someone gets mad and fixes that problem.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RFD21C View Post
    sounds like it hasn't changed that much in the last however many years.

It shouldn't hadn't changed any.

You always going to have the slugs who creep in at 7:45 and screw their relief each and every time. Pay back doesn't mean jack to them as slugs are slugs, are slugs.

When I was a Loo at the 21's, I'd came in at 6:30 - 6:45 AM. You could set your watch by it. If I was there by 7 AM someone would be calling the house.

Of course the other Loo always got in at 7:30 and wanted to walk out the door as soon as I walk in it. He would say nothing unusual, everything is on the desk kid!
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Thread Information