MembersZone Subscriber

Question Guard and Reserve Fire Fighter at DOD Academy

I was wondering if anyone could provided me with information. I currently have my DOD certications for FF1 FF2 HAZ OPS and Awareness that my guard unit got me since i was ifsac certified in those. If you are in the gaurd and are a fire responder in that state or hold a medic cert do you have to attend the full amount of classes. I heard that if you were already DOD certified with DOD certifications then you would only attented the aircraft fire fighting portion of the course or any course that you were not dod cert in . If you are guard and only going to block six do you still have to do the FF PT evaluation here. I see alot of active duty fire fighting question but wanted to know if anyone was Air guard and new of how things went here. Also does the gaurd guys get into classes quick if they are phasing up? how is out processing at goodfellow if your guard i heard u just fly out and outprossess at your unit? Any information or insight i would appericate about FF who are guard and already are dod certified/ or have "phased up" i will be attending dod after basic training and will prob be in good fellow in the summer

Forum Member

What would be the point of going through classes you already have a DoD cert for? Reserve and Guard students usually must have a seat waiting for them to get orders, so you should only be there 1-2 days prior to starting class. You should only have to go through Block VI.

You need to go visit your unit's training chief. He should know the answers to all of these questions. Have your recruiter set up a meeting on a drill weekend.

Forum Member

the gunny pretty much summed it up. youll definitely phase up. ive mostly seen it as, they have you take the EOC for each block and if they 'feel comfortable' theyll move you. never seen them not move someone up that has the certs already. if you go pass block 4, they most likely wont make you do the FFPT.

MembersZone Subscriber

thanks for the help guys just was trying to get all the facts to how the military works and how things work for those who are already have dod certs that will be attending goodfellow

Thread Information