Forum Member

Default shipping and set-up

Now that im getting prices on my complete fill station how do I handle the shipping and set up costs? AFG doenst pay shippig correct? Should I just bid it but after awarding the bid have them bill it as a turn key SCBA fill station?

Forum Member

You can include those items under the 'additional funding' section on the online application section. It allows for personanel items, contractural, fringe benefits, construction, travel supplies, OTHER, and indirect charges. You need to have them in your budget of course and it must match the totals within the online application, but I would reread your PG and everything you can that is reasonable.

I have put shipping and handling in the Other category. Try to have as much accurate information or documentation to back up your requests in case they ask you to make your case. With the quotes for your equipment you are submitting for there should be shipping and handling charges on the quotes. Add them up and include them. Keep an eye out for rule changes of course in the 2010 PG

Forum Member

Couldn't you just state in your bid specs that the cost of the item must include all shipping and handling?

Forum Member

when you bid the fill station make sure vendor understands that final bid includes delivery.
    That is the way all of our bids are.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by rands1 View Post
    Couldn't you just state in your bid specs that the cost of the item must include all shipping and handling?
    Thats what we always do...

Forum Member

Talking

" Accepted bid proposal to include delivery , installation and air quality testing certification"

That phrase should be included in any compressor / cascade system/ fill station. Air samples must be tested by a lab to standards set by OSHA and dept of labor.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by islandfire03 View Post
    " Accepted bid proposal to include delivery , installation and air quality testing certification"

That phrase should be included in any compressor / cascade system/ fill station. Air samples must be tested by a lab to standards set by OSHA and dept of labor.
    gotcha and done!!!

MembersZone Subscriber

If you spend that much money with a company they will install and ship at no charge. I would bet the farm on that.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by dfd701 View Post
    If you spend that much money with a company they will install and ship at no charge. I would bet the farm on that.
    not 2300 lbs worth of compressor and fill station and cascade they wont!!

Forum Member

My invoice mentioned nothing about shipping and install, it was implied when I ordered the damn thing!

They will deliver for "free" when you're spending good money. How much was your award?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by SLY4420 View Post
    My invoice mentioned nothing about shipping and install, it was implied when I ordered the damn thing!

They will deliver for "free" when you're spending good money. How much was your award?
    i have 31,829 to spend...i figure im paying shipping and install wither on the front end or in the back door if you know what i mean!

MembersZone Subscriber

[QUOTE=centralfire;1142422]i have 31,829 to spend...i figure im paying shipping and install wither on the front end or in the back door if you know what i mean![/QUOTE

Hope you donít mind me butting in again but if it is installed in the fire station regardless if it is its own room make sure you run piping to the outside of the building for fresh air intake. Also you may want a three blade cut off switch mounted next to it. One each for the two hot legs and one for the ground. That way you donít have to worry about lightning running in on the ground side. Just too much money not to protect it from lightning.

Forum Member

my vendor said if im not running my trucks while the compressor is running then no need to vent outside. He then said sometimes there more problems venting outside due to humidity. Said if we wanted it vented outside then he would do it if we bought the supplies.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by centralfire View Post
    my vendor said if im not running my trucks while the compressor is running then no need to vent outside. He then said sometimes there more problems venting outside due to humidity. Said if we wanted it vented outside then he would do it if we bought the supplies.
    I would run the air intake outside to fresh air. You have that big gas furnace right there where you are going to put the compressor and every time you start the trucks it seems like the exhaust emissions are going to knock you on your butt for twenty minutes, even with the bay doors open.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by centralfire View Post
    Just my 2 cents worth....

Not sure who your dealing with but whom ever it is doesn't appear they know what there talking about. Their are a few things to take into mind. Most compressor companies say when piping to outside air you should have your compressor within 10-12 feet from an outside wall. Try to have the compressor located so that the outside air piping is a straight shot not to many bends.

Remember any good compressor system will have a built in water separator system. So that will take care of the humidity issue. Everyone that I have seen either has a water holding tank or the water is piped to an outside drain.

The compressor purchases I have been part of has always had the outside air piping built into the specs so there wasn't an issue of who was gonna pay for it (there's not a lot of cost for this). I would put everything you want into your spec and send it out for pricing. You will get what you want if they want the business (And they all need the business).

Again just my 2 cents worth....
    Last edited by RES81CUE; 02-03-2010 at 10:21 AM.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

The only thing that's not eligible is state sales tax when it's collected and then returned to the department at the end of the year. I know NC is that way, several others. If the sales tax isn't returned to the department then it is an eligible cost just like S&H.

Thread Information