Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Forum Member

Default Houston Hiring in 2010

Houston FD has announced a projected class schedule for FY2011.

August 17, 2010 to October 2010 Fast Track class
    September 20, 2010 to May 2011 Regular class
    April 13, 2011 to June 2011 Fast Track class
    June 13, 2011 to February 2012 Regular class

Test dates should be announced over the next month.

Forum Member

CIVIL SERVICE EXAM ANNOUNCED - CERTIFIED FIRE/EMT TRAINEE

Civil Service Commission City of Houston Examination Annoucement for the position of Certified Fire/EMT Trainee

APPLICATION TO TAKE TEST: ONLY “on-line” applications will be accepted. To apply for this examination. Access to the Internet and to computer terminals may be found at The City of Houston Human Resources Department, 611 Walker, the garden level, HFD Classified Recruiting, 500 Jefferson, 15th Floor, or any Public Library. On-line applications must be submitted by 4:30 p.m., Friday, March 19, 2010.

DATE AND TIME OF EXAMINATION: The examination will be given at 10:00 a.m., Thursday, April 15, 2010 at the Marriott Houston Westchase in the Grand Pavilion Ballroom, 2900 Briarpark Drive; (713-978-7400). Bring your driver’s license or other photo ID and a copy of your DD214 (Members-4) if applicable.

Forum Member

Didnt Houston just hire not to long ago. Also i thought they were having budget issues like everyone else.... Additionally the first post you made are those projected recruit academys? How many are usually in each one?

Forum Member

My bad decided just now to do a little more research. Didn't see that this was the "certified fire/ems" test. Bummer.

Maybe they are going to hire for those they fired over the "in house sex ring"

Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

I'm in the Houston hiring process right now. They are hiring non-certified from the July 7, 2009 CSE. They canceled the academy that was set for January 2010 due to budget problems.

I imagine that they will hire from the July 2009 CSE list for the September class as well, and maybe even the June 2011 class. I think each academy is going to have 40-50 recruits in it.

I honestly wouldn't expect another non certified exam for a while.

Exclamation

I'm not trying to hi-jack...I just wanted to let you guys know, if Houston doesn't work out or you want to keep your options open, Missouri City is giving a test in March. I posted the info in another thread by the same name.

Either way, I wish you all the very best in the application and hiring process. We mutual aid with Houston, so maybe I'll bump into some of you in the future!!

Take care,
    pete

Maybe they are going to hire for those they fired over the "in house sex ring"

I've never heard of that...

And regarding Houston, HFD tests so many times a year it isnt funny. If you want to work for a large city(3rd largest FD in the nation) HFD is the place to go. 4 shifts... pay is better now(even better if your a medic) and cost of living is cheap(er) than most places.

Only bad things is the weather and the 200,000 Katrina refugees that arent leaving
    The Box. You opened it. We Came...

"You'll take my life but I'll take your's too. You'll fire musket but I'll run you through. So when your waiting for the next attack, you'll better understand there's no turn back."

MembersZone Subscriber docflip4884's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JHR1985 View Post
    I've never heard of that...

And regarding Houston, HFD tests so many times a year it isnt funny. If you want to work for a large city(3rd largest FD in the nation) HFD is the place to go. 4 shifts... pay is better now(even better if your a medic) and cost of living is cheap(er) than most places.

Only bad things is the weather and the 200,000 Katrina refugees that arent leaving
    Yes they do test a ton, however they are the 4th largest FD, and they only work 2 shifts a "string" or 8 days a month. 24 on 24 off 24 on 5 off....

Everything else is dead on!
    Doc Flip

Engine 33 West Side

Manpower wise, 3rd largest in the nation...

due to that 4th shift....ABCD...

xoxooooo schedule...

"You'll take my life but I'll take your's too. You'll fire musket but I'll run you through. So when your waiting for the next attack, you'll better understand there's no turn back."

Certified test.... does that mean that you need your cards to take the test?

I am very interested in maybe swinging down and taking that test.
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
    ------------------------------------

you have a certified test for those with fire certs and minimum emt and a non certified test for those that have nothing...

i dont remember but I think you have to bring proof of certs for the certified test

They'll probably let you test, you just have to have the certs by a certain date for them to continue processing you thru to the PAT. It seems that they're pretty understanding about guys who are simply waiting for the cert in the mail.

But, if you haven't even started the process, now would be a good time.
    Pete

Forum Member

Default wow

anyone know if Houston accepts the emt national registry? By march 18th i should have my fire cert as well, already have my haz fra, and fro if that matters. Have been a fire explorer for san diego for a little over a year. passed the c-pat as well. Being only 18 think I have any chance? I know the usual age of getting hired is 23-25.

MembersZone Subscriber

Does anyone who has taken the exam in the past, know what testing subjects the written exam consisted of?

Assistant Chief Brent Collins, Cleveland Fire Dept.
    Firehouse.com Entry Level Contributor Author since 2002

More Career articles and exam prep strategies by Chief Collins can be found at the link below
    http://cms.firehouse.com/content/con.../bio.jsp?id=17
    Last edited by dmfireschool; 03-10-2010 at 08:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dmfireschool View Post
    Does anyone who has taken the exam in the past, know what testing subjects the written exam consisted of?
    Hey Chief,

Yeah, I tested last year. It was pretty straight forward. I don't remember perfectly, but it was your basic math skills (long division, multiplication etc.) basic grammar (reading, comprehension, spelling etc) and some diagrams that you needed to view and try to figure out the answer to the question.

I scored pretty high, but I didn't have my Fire cert at the time, so I didn't continue thru the process. Which worked out good for me because I got hired at another city.

I hope this helps. BTW, is that Cleveland, as in Ohio??? I just moved here (Houston) from Cleveland back in May!!

Have a great day.
    Pete

MembersZone Subscriber

Pete,

Can you e-mail us at dmfireschool@aol.com. We have some questions for you.

Thanks!

More Career articles and exam prep strategies by Chief Collins can be found at the link below

Hello Chief....e-mail sent this evening to your address. Have a great evening!!

Pete

MembersZone Subscriber

Pete,

We didn't get it. Can you try again at dmfireschool@aol.com or call our office at, 1-800-989-FIRE Thanks !!

MembersZone Subscriber

Your Houston Fire exam will have spelling as one of the testing subjects. Below are some spelling rules to help increase your score.

SPELLING RULES

1. Words ending in silent e drop the e before a suffix beginning with a vowel.

reducing refining desirable
    troubling inducing ensuing
    arguing debatable sponging

2. Words ending in silent e retain the e before a suffix beginning with a consonant.

completeness careful enforcement
    engagement genuineness statement
    resourceful advertisement
    management

3. Exceptions to final e rules.

traceable enforceable peaceable
    serviceable noticeable courageous
    manageable exchangeable chargeable
    mileage dyeing duly
    truly wholly argument
    abudgment judgment acknowledge

4. Final y preceded by a consonant is changed to i before every suffix except ing.
    Final y preceded by a vowel is not changed before a suffix.

heaviest pitiful journeying
    carrier accompanying conveyance
    satisfied livelihood delayed
    copying dutiful annoyance

5. Monosyllables and also words of more than one syllable accented on the last syllable, ending in a single consonant proceeded by a single vowel, double the final consonant before the suffix beginning with a vowel.

referred expelling remittance
    compelling occurring permitting
    transferred regrettable committed

6. Words of more than one syllable ending in a single consonant preceded by a single vowel but not accented on the last syllable, do not double the final consonant before a suffix beginning with a vowel.

solicited modeled unequaled
    offered limited opened
    benefited profited canceled
    credited debited labeled

7. The majority of adverbs are formed from adjectives by adding the suffix ly.

externally accurately conclusively
    separately totally occasionally

8. "Put i before e, except after c, or when sounded like a, as in neighbor and weight and except seize and seizure, and also leisure, weird, height, and either, forfeit, and neither."

9. The plurals of nouns ending in y preceded by a consonant are formed by changing y to i and adding es to the singular.

varieties prophecies monopolies
    authorities companies necessities

10. The plurals of nouns ending in y preceded by a vowel are formed by adding an s to the singular.

holidays moneys galleys
    journeys attorneys surveys

11. The plurals of most nouns ending in o are formed by adding s to the singular.

pianos provisos quartos
    folios mementos ratios

12. The plurals of some nouns ending in o are formed by adding es to the singular.

potatoes vetoes embargoes
    cargoes mottoes tomatoes

13. The plurals of most nouns ending in f are formed by adding s to the singular.

sheriffs plaintiffs beliefs
    briefs proofs staffs

14. Some nouns ending in f or fe form their plurals by changing f or fe into v and adding es to the singular.

knives halves shelves
    leaves thieves wharves

Last edited by dmfireschool; 03-10-2010 at 08:28 AM.

Thread Information