Thread: Insanity....

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Insanity....

http://www.firehouse.com/news/top-he...ries-regroup-0

http://www.firehouse.com/topics/top-...y-hiring-quota

At what point will this stop? How is ok to discriminate against a white candidate to be "fair" to a minority? Can somebody explain to me how a written test and physical agility can discriminate? Score high and get hired.
    I am so sick of hearing how the fire department should represent the population they protect...

Why is it the municipalities job to go out and seek minority candidates? Shouldn't the minority candiate be seeking them out if they want the job?

Curious to see where some of you guys sit on this one...
    Last edited by MontvilleFire39; 02-02-2010 at 12:45 AM.
    FTM-PTB

Forum Member

This Shat will continue as long as we allow It to, When we stop letting Race be a Issue and quit Wussy-Footin' around it will come to a end. Brand me a Racist, I don't care. Color should never matter, Period. It should not matter if your a minority or majority. We have to stop accepting Laws that regulate who we hire, what origins they are, and what percentage of them that we have employed. Rant-off
    Courage, Being Scared to Death and Saddling Up anyways.

Forum Member

Hey Bush: that's just the thing....You're stating that ALL races should be equal and you're absolutely right. But, minorities will call you a racist because many of them don't want to be equal, they want to be superior. They don't have what it takes, not because of their race or nationality, but because of their attitude and actions.

So, it's complete BS. I agree 110% with this stupid crap. Hire the BEST who apply. Best scores, best interview, best PAT. Skin and culture should make no matter.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by sweetpete View Post
    Hey Bush: that's just the thing....You're stating that ALL races should be equal and you're absolutely right. But, minorities will call you a racist because many of them don't want to be equal, they want to be superior. They don't have what it takes, not because of their race or nationality, but because of their attitude and actions.
    I was going to avoid this subject but then I read this. Do you know many people of color? or do you just believe what you hear others say? I've seen many of stupid comments here but this is near the top. You might find it hard to believe but not all people of color think like Jackson, Sharpton and their ilk.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FHJ718 View Post
    I was going to avoid this subject but then I read this. Do you know many people of color? or do you just believe what you hear others say? I've seen many of stupid comments here but this is near the top. You might find it hard to believe but not all people of color think like Jackson, Sharpton and their ilk.

That's the Problem, You where going to avoid this. It has been long over do that the BEST of the Best stand up and say enough is enough. And the Only way to do that is if it is everyone, pink, purple, green, red, yellow, black, polka-doted, white, tie-dyed, Sioux, Chippewa, Hispanic, African, middle Eastern, Aussies', or French.

We are all of different Breeds, creeds, Cultures and Languages, but we are Equal.

" All it takes for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing."

And for far too long have the level headed, honest, moral, and the Best of best of each Side of the color wheel, the Race spectrum, and the Nationality side have remained quiet.

Forum Member

Actualy he is right on par. Just becuase you choose to ignore the fact doesnt make it go away.

Race shouldn't even be a check box on applications for promotion. Highest score gets the job, regardless of color.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Forum Member

On second thought, it's not worth arguing. You're either for or against equality, regardless of skin color or nationality.

Like I said: best score, best time, best interview = hired. Case closed.
    Last edited by sweetpete; 02-02-2010 at 07:34 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by sweetpete View Post
    On second thought, it's not worth arguing. You're either for or against equality, regardless of skin color or nationality.

Like I said: best score, best time, best interview = hired. Case closed.
    Your right its not worth arguing about its stupid but, we need to start saying enough is enough.

MembersZone Subscriber

make one shift each of a certain race... white, black, and hispanic/mixture.

see what shift gets the most work done...
    The Box. You opened it. We Came...

"You'll take my life but I'll take your's too. You'll fire musket but I'll run you through. So when your waiting for the next attack, you'll better understand there's no turn back."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JHR1985 View Post
    make one shift each of a certain race... white, black, and hispanic/mixture.

see what shift gets the most work done...
    You're truly an idiot to end all idiots. The previous posters just stated emphatically why they believe race shouldn't be an issue when hiring..that racism and discrimination are now irrelevant. "Score high and get the job" they wrote. Right.

Your single post has proven just how mistaken they are.

Forum Member

I agree wholeheartedly with the majority, race should be removed from applications.

Alan
    Last edited by ARH176; 02-02-2010 at 10:26 PM. Reason: forgot smilie, couldn't add, deleted comment.

Forum Member

My comment has nothing to do with who deserves the job or what the process should be it was strictly in response to-"minorities will call you a racist because many of them don't want to be equal, they want to be superior"(sweetpete). If you think that's an intelligent comment...well..good luck to you.
    As far as the statements on "we are all equal," don't be so naive. There has never been such a state nor is it possible unless all have the same opportunities and generally those on the lower end of the socioeconomic spectrum have not.
    Being upset with the ruling is fine, but some of you sing the same sad song over and over and ignore the reality of the situation.

MembersZone Subscriber

why do people have such a hard time grasping sarcasm on here?

Here is the bottom line:

Where I work at, there was a big stink about how minorities cant score high enough on the promotional exams?

Is that not a shot in their own foot... Are they seriously saying that they arent smart enough to read a book, study and to promote?

They took a test to get hired, which they passed. Yet, they can not pass a test to promote? And by minority, I mean black. Not hispanic or any other race. They are the only ones that I have seen complain about hiring.

You have the Vulcan Society... we have the Black Professional Firefighters Association.

And I'll be the first one to say that, yes, 20-30 years ago, there was a preferance in hiring. That, for the most part has changed, if not completely reversed.
    The latest New Haven example proves that.

The game is getting out of hand. Its not longer who scores best but soon its going to be a numbers game.

"You'll take my life but I'll take your's too. You'll fire musket but I'll run you through. So when your waiting for the next attack, you'll better understand there's no turn back."

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

So many times people have posted here about hoping the public never sees what is posted in a particular topic. This is exactly one of those topics.

Frankly, the fact that the news media has quoted things from FH .com a few times would make it enough of a reason not to post this type of thing here. Especially with the incredibly stupid, assinine, racist remarks being made.

I hope some of you have bullet proof shoes since you seem to enjoy shooting yourself in the foot.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    So many times people have posted here about hoping the public never sees what is posted in a particular topic. This is exactly one of those topics.

Frankly, the fact that the news media has quoted things from FH .com a few times would make it enough of a reason not to post this type of thing here. Especially with the incredibly stupid, assinine, racist remarks being made.

I hope some of you have bullet proof shoes since you seem to enjoy shooting yourself in the foot.
    It is a public forum, and this is an issue directly related to the fire service. I would seriously question the credibility of a news source that uses qoutes from a online forum full of people from all over posting annonymously behind screen names.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Forum Member

My comment has nothing to do with who deserves the job or what the process should be it was strictly in response to-"minorities will call you a racist because many of them don't want to be equal, they want to be superior"(sweetpete). If you think that's an intelligent comment...well..good luck to you.
    As far as the statements on "we are all equal," don't be so naive. There has never been such a state nor is it possible unless all have the same opportunities and generally those on the lower end of the socioeconomic spectrum have not.Being upset with the ruling is fine, but some of you sing the same sad song over and over and ignore the reality of the situation.
    Yeah, and last time I checked, the socionomic scale does not choose one race or the other. There are poor people all over this country of every race. That has nothing to do with it. It all comes down to who wants to do something about and rise out of thier situation instead on relying on the same sad song they have for decades.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

MembersZone Subscriber

If being racist means that I want everyone to take the same test, meet the same qualifications, do the same work effort, and that the most qualified person gets the job... then so be it.

I'm not gonna hold someone's hand to help them get the job while an equally or even more qualified canidate gets the job.

You can argue that social and economic situations have justification in some regards but the tests I took to get my job could have been completed by a kindergarden student. The fact that there was over 10% that made a 100 or better is an obvious attestment to that.

its no different that hiring women. so many departments are afraid to kick out the ones who cant pass the physical aspect of it because it looks bad.

some people just need to nut up in this regards.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JHR1985 View Post

Where I work at, there was a big stink about how minorities cant score high enough on the promotional exams?

Is that not a shot in their own foot... Are they seriously saying that they arent smart enough to read a book, study and to promote?

They took a test to get hired, which they passed. Yet, they can not pass a test to promote? And by minority, I mean black. Not hispanic or any other race. They are the only ones that I have seen complain about hiring.

You have the Vulcan Society... we have the Black Professional Firefighters Association.

And I'll be the first one to say that, yes, 20-30 years ago, there was a preferance in hiring. That, for the most part has changed, if not completely reversed.
    The latest New Haven example proves that.

The game is getting out of hand. Its not longer who scores best but soon its going to be a numbers game.
    1) Where are you from?
    2)I know several black officers & chiefs who would disagree with these organizations points. Too many times on here people say blacks blacks blacks like all blacks think alike.
    3)At least here the Boston Fire Department has NEVER had race based promotions. If you see a black or hispanic officer here he did well on the test.
    4) New Haven- it doesn't prove a thing. If the left had 5 votes instead of 4 do you think the ruling would have been the same?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GTRider245 View Post
    Yeah, and last time I checked, the socionomic scale does not choose one race or the other. There are poor people all over this country of every race. That has nothing to do with it. It all comes down to who wants to do something about and rise out of thier situation instead on relying on the same sad song they have for decades.
    Never said it didn't. But I challenge you to grow up in the average US inner city, attend the average school and see if you feel the same. When people on here say "we are all the same" it sounds good but the truth is we are different and most of us Americans are products of our enviroments. When people come on here and say midly vieled thoughts, do you think only like minded people read this?

Forum Member

Never said it didn't. But I challenge you to grow up in the average US inner city, attend the average school and see if you feel the same. When people on here say "we are all the same" it sounds good but the truth is we are different and most of us Americans are products of our enviroments. When people come on here and say midly vieled thoughts, do you think only like minded people read this?
    And I challenge you to grow up in the average rural, low income, low tax base community and attend those schools and see how YOU feel.

It is no different. One group just likes using it as an excuse. It is clear to see which side you are on here, and that is fine. But once again, it is still wrong, and will be as long as we as a nation let it be.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

Forum Member

"They took a test to get hired, which they passed. Yet, they can not pass a test to promote? And by minority, I mean black. Not hispanic or any other race. They are the only ones that I have seen complain about hiring".

Maybe where you are from but here the blacks and hispanics stick together. In fact hispanics are members of the Vulcan Society.

Forum Member

2)I know several black officers & chiefs who would disagree with these organizations points.
    That's great, but it might be more helpful if they and others like them across the nation voice that disagreement more publicly.

Too many times on here people say blacks blacks blacks like all blacks think alike.
    That may be true, but when there appears to be only one (repetitive) message coming from a grouping of people, does that really send the message that everyone doesn't think alike?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GTRider245 View Post
    And I challenge you to grow up in the average rural, low income, low tax base community and attend those schools and see how YOU feel.

It is no different. One group just likes using it as an excuse. It is clear to see which side you are on here, and that is fine. But once again, it is still wrong, and will be as long as we as a nation let it be.
    Point is that most of you are generalizing. You're repeating talking points you have heard or read others say. As far as one group, again you are saying something that is not true. Around here the Irish guys still talk about NINA (No Irish Need Apply) and so you know my maternal grandparents are from the Auld Sod.
    As far as which side I'm on, I haven't said anything as to what I believe. You are assuming based on me not joining in on the blacks are this or that routine some of you engage in every time any story or forum with a color aspect comes up.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FireMedic049 View Post
    That's great, but it might be more helpful if they and others like them across the nation voice that disagreement more publicly.

That may be true, but when there appears to be only one (repetitive) message coming from a grouping of people, does that really send the message that everyone doesn't think alike?
    And why should they? So that whites can feel more righteous? So whites can say "See we have coloreds who agree" come on don't be so naive. Not every one wears their politics on their sleeves.

As far as your second statement, do you see the irony of what you said? Because it seems on here it's always white guys say the same repetitive thing. So does that make what minority firefighters say true?
    Last edited by FHJ718; 02-02-2010 at 11:33 PM.

Forum Member

And why should they? So that whites can feel more righteous? So whites can say "See we have coloreds who agree"
    So they Can stop hiding behind there color, creed, or history.

Thread Information