Forum Member

Default would this be a good amount of certifications?

I'm looking to apply for a fire academy in my area soon. The application process begins in march and I was wondering if the amount of certifications below would be at least a good start towards my fire career. I also am already EMT-B certified.

* I-100 Intro to the Incident Command System (NWCG)
    * I-200 Basic ICS (SFT)
    * S-190 Introduction to Wildland Fire Bahavior (NWCG)
    * S-130 Firefighter I Training (NWCG)
    * S-131 Firefighter Type I Training (NWCG)
    * S-134 Lookouts, Communications, Escape Routes & Safety Zones (NWCG)
    * L-180 Human Factors on the Fireline (NWCG)
    * Firefighter I Basic (67 Hour) (Cal Fire)
    * Auto Extrication (SFT)
    * HAZMAT FRO (CSTI)
    * HAZMAT DECON (CSTI)
    * HAZMAT WMD (CSTI)
    * Low Angle Rope Rescue (SFT)
    * Rescue Systems I (SFT)
    * Fire Control 3B (SFT)
    * Confined Space Awareness (SFT)
    * River and Flood Awareness (CFRTA)
    * Rapid Intervention Crew Tactics (SFT)
    * Firefighter I Basic Recruit Academy Course Completion (CFRTA)

Forum Member

bumpin it hoping for a response?

Forum Member

Most people get really confused on how to gain entry into the academy. Are you talking about getting hired by a professional / career department that sends its members to the academy. If you are, then all that stuff means JACK SH*T. The only cert that would hold any weight to any civil service dept is the medic.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by thanojon View Post
    Most people get really confused on how to gain entry into the academy. Are you talking about getting hired by a professional / career department that sends its members to the academy. If you are, then all that stuff means JACK SH*T. The only cert that would hold any weight to any civil service dept is the medic.
    Agree. Most places don't care about your non-ems education.
    FF/Paramedic

Forum Member

no I'm not being sent by any academy...this is all on my own. And yes I know I would need a medic cert (especially being in California) But there's no reason I can't get through an academy, and at least try try try.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MikeLong88 View Post
    no I'm not being sent by any academy...this is all on my own. And yes I know I would need a medic cert (especially being in California) But there's no reason I can't get through an academy, and at least try try try.
    I think you're missing the point im trying to make. If you're trying to get on a CAREER department you just don't get "sent" to the academy and do the "Training" most people think. You go through an extensive civil service testing procedure that eliminates any bs fire certification you have.

Forum Member

no I understand what you're saying. I was just asking if this was AT LEAST a good start.

MembersZone Subscriber

no I understand what you're saying. I was just asking if this was AT LEAST a good start.
    Yes, it is a good start to your education in Fire Dept. related areas. Will this help you get a CAREER postion over a person that has no fire related certifications? 99.9% of the time it will not. With most career departments reguardless if you have certifications in these areas or not it will not matter on weather they hire you or not over a person with NO fire service training.

WHY? Well because any career department will send you through their academy to learn THEIR WAY. That is one of the big points of sending people through a academy in the first place. If you have certs from else where they want you to get rid of any bad habbits of doing things and learn that career departments way of doing it. If nothing else, if you do get hired somewhere you will have a good basic understanding of what they are trying to teach you again.

Good Luck

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JCCFD41 View Post
    Yes, it is a good start to your education in Fire Dept. related areas. Will this help you get a CAREER postion over a person that has no fire related certifications? 99.9% of the time it will not. With most career departments reguardless if you have certifications in these areas or not it will not matter on weather they hire you or not over a person with NO fire service training.

WHY? Well because any career department will send you through their academy to learn THEIR WAY. That is one of the big points of sending people through a academy in the first place. If you have certs from else where they want you to get rid of any bad habbits of doing things and learn that career departments way of doing it. If nothing else, if you do get hired somewhere you will have a good basic understanding of what they are trying to teach you again.

Good Luck
    Exactly. Forget this idea of "racking up" certifications. IT DOESNT MEAN ANYTHING! The only one that will, and i say this again, is the PARAMEDIC cert. other than that stop thinking you have a good start. If you want a "good" start, learn how to take an SAT type test without missing a SINGLE question. You're competing with the whole world here bud. Its you and 1,500 ppl (and im not exaggerating these are legit numbers) that are trying to fight for roughly 20 spots if that. What does that mean for you? It means scoring a 100 percent on the written test so you're in the TOP 1% of that group. All depts do things differently. Most that i know of around my area take your written exam weighted at 50 percent, and then your oral interview, weighted at 50%. And sure, you're pry thinking all that will help for the interview, which it could somewhat, but thats a completely different ball game. They wanna know what qualities you posses that are related to a succesful firefighter, how you have exemplified them in past jobs, etc. Its a completely different story there.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JCCFD41 View Post

Good Luck
    thank you for the good luck, I know that any dept. that I MIGHT be hired by will still send me through another training session because they want me to act the way they think is right

Quote Originally Posted by thanojon View Post
    Exactly. Forget this idea of "racking up" certifications. IT DOESNT MEAN ANYTHING! The only one that will, and i say this again, is the PARAMEDIC cert. other than that stop thinking you have a good start. If you want a "good" start, learn how to take an SAT type test without missing a SINGLE question. You're competing with the whole world here bud. Its you and 1,500 ppl (and im not exaggerating these are legit numbers) that are trying to fight for roughly 20 spots if that. What does that mean for you? It means scoring a 100 percent on the written test so you're in the TOP 1% of that group. All depts do things differently. Most that i know of around my area take your written exam weighted at 50 percent, and then your oral interview, weighted at 50%. And sure, you're pry thinking all that will help for the interview, which it could somewhat, but thats a completely different ball game. They wanna know what qualities you posses that are related to a succesful firefighter, how you have exemplified them in past jobs, etc. Its a completely different story there.
    thank you for your input, im not trying to be a smartass or anything. just that I thank any input I can get

Forum Member

And to the Florida people that might be reading this....these certs and others like it WILL help you in FL. Probably just about the only state that they will....

Forum Member

Mike,

The first several things I'll ask is, what state did you get these certifications from?

Second were you a member of the fire service when you received these?

Third, how did you partake in any practical exercises if you are not a firefighter?

In Virginia and I believe Maryland as well, to take any fire type courses, you have to be a member of the fire service, which means either a career or volunteer department.

The Virginia Department of Fire Programs, a state agency handles all certifications in Virginia. www.vafire.com is their web site.

In Maryland it is www.mfri.org

Also having those certifications would be of some help to you, in the fire recruit school, if by chance you did apply and pass everything that is needed to be accepted or hired by a department in either state.

As someone had said there are just pieces of paper. These two states does its own certification.

I have had guys be hired in with more than what you are showing and still had a hard time passing the State of Virginia firefighter curriculum.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnee View Post
    Mike,

The first several things I'll ask is, what state did you get these certifications from?

Second were you a member of the fire service when you received these?

Third, how did you partake in any practical exercises if you are not a firefighter?

In Virginia and I believe Maryland as well, to take any fire type courses, you have to be a member of the fire service, which means either a career or volunteer department.

The Virginia Department of Fire Programs, a state agency handles all certifications in Virginia. www.vafire.com is their web site.

In Maryland it is www.mfri.org

Also having those certifications would be of some help to you, in the fire recruit school, if by chance you did apply and pass everything that is needed to be accepted or hired by a department in either state.

As someone had said there are just pieces of paper. These two states does its own certification.

I have had guys be hired in with more than what you are showing and still had a hard time passing the State of Virginia firefighter curriculum.

I have not gotten these cert's yet. these are the cert's I would get by completing the academy that I am looking into. I have yet to start an academy.

I live in California. If I were to complete this fire academy, and recieve these certifications, I would at least be able to work for CalFire.

these are just he certifications that the academy I'm looking into will give me if I were to pass their course

Forum Member

I have not gotten these cert's yet. these are the cert's I would get by completing the academy that I am looking into. I have yet to start an academy.

I live in California. If I were to complete this fire academy, and recieve these certifications, I would at least be able to work for CalFire.

these are just he certifications that the academy I'm looking into will give me if I were to pass their course

OK I read it as you already had these and were looking to get hired with them.

They are the basic certifications that most career department use and the member must achieve to graduate.

In our part of the world, we don't have private academies for firefighters. As I said earlier you have to be a member of a department to attend any type of firemanship courses.

Good luck to you!!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnee View Post
    OK I read it as you already had these and were looking to get hired with them.

They are the basic certifications that most career department use and the member must achieve to graduate.

In our part of the world, we don't have private academies for firefighters. As I said earlier you have to be a member of a department to attend any type of firemanship courses.

Good luck to you!!
    thank you . I dont plan on this being the maximum I'll do, I know I'll be doing a lot more to add to my resume

MembersZone Subscriber

IMHO dude, the ONLY certs that really, truely matter are the EMS ones, especially Paramedic. Moreover, one thing I've always heard is that there is no substitute for experience, so if you can, go and join a volunteer fire department (I'd look for fairly busy one if possible) so you can go into it with training AND experience. Once you have the fire certs, go for EMT-B and do that for a while. The best thing you could do is go to paramedic school after a year or two as a working EMT. Once you have that, most will tell you you've got a pretty good shot. But as was mentioned earlier, most career depts hire through civil service exams, so once you've got some certs devote as much time as possible to studying so you can score well. Also, the great thing about the fire service is that the training never stops. The hiring process is VERY lengthy, especially for large departments, so while you're going through, you can still continue your education. Take other classes or even work toward a fire science degree; continue to volunteer, if you chose to do so, and get as much experience as possible. Remember to update you resume as you gain any other major certs. Good luck dude.

Forum Member

I agree with the above. An absolute minimum of EMT-B.. if you can get EMT-I great, if you can get EMT-P... your golden. Whether "most" career departments want to admit it or not.. it's slowly turning into EMS and FIRE versus FIRE and EMS. Fire only openings are hard to come by. This is the way the profession is going, in my opinion of course.

As far as your fire certificates meaning nothing... that is completely false. The career department I was just hired by along with another department I was farther in the testing process with both asked extensively about my volunteer training and experience. And even though some were local level fire classes (like SCBA refresher, Vehicle rescue ops, 4 hour intro to RIT, etc. etc. etc.) they wanted to see everyone of them... even if they weren't recognized by their agency. A good career department will want to see the entire picture of the candidate. Ignoring their training, no matter what it is... negates a complete picture of the candidate.

So while fire certifications won't help you earn points in the written test... it will help you in the interview with a good department. But like I said, EMT... go do it.

Thread Information